Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I treat my deposit as my last month's rent?

Options
  • 18-08-2017 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi everyone i have one guestion I am.renting.a.apartament for over a year my.rent.is 600 a.month so.before.I.sign the contract I payed 600 deposit and 600.first rent and thst was on the 8th of September now.I am.givin.my landlord one.moths notice do.I still.have to pay till.the date I leave which is.8 of.october another 600 euro ??pls.help

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

paddy5991 wrote: »
    Hi everyone i have one guestion I am.renting.a.apartament for over a year my.rent.is 600 a.month so.before.I.sign the contract I payed 600 deposit and 600.first rent and thst was on the 8th of September now.I am.givin.my landlord one.moths notice do.I still.have to pay till.the date I leave which is.8 of.october another 600 euro ??pls.help

Yes.
    Your deposit is a security deposit to cover any damage over and above normal wear and tear- alongside any unpaid utility bills.
    Your deposit is *not* your last month's rent- unless this is agreed in advance with your landlord. Legally- you are obliged to pay rent up until the end of your notice and your handing back of the unit.

Your landlord may agree to treat your deposit as your last months rent- however he/she is under absolutely no obligation to do so- and they leave themselves wide open to unpaid utility bills etc- by doing so.

Talk to your landlord- and ask if what you're proposing is acceptable to them- however, legally, they are entitled to rent up to and including the day you hand back the unit.

You are not entitled to treat your deposit as your last months rent- unless a landlord specifically gives you this right- by law your rent and your deposit are two entirely different things.

Advertisement