Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First cut......the lighter side of golf

Options
  • 18-08-2017 9:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭

I thought a thread for some of the funnier, weird, rare elements of the game might be worth considering......so I'll start with this one......

NI golfer Joe Rooney scores two holes-in-one
    An Armagh teenager has scored an amazing two holes-in-one in the same round of golf.

Joe Rooney, 16, managed the exceptionally rare feat at a tournament at County Armagh Golf Club on Tuesday.

The odds of an amateur golfer hitting two holes-in-one in the same round are a staggering 67 million to one.

......and I get excited when I get back-to-back pars!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

The odds are getting higher: it was only 66 million to one back in March

frank-tees-66-million-one-shot

About 20 years ago in a Club fourball competition here, they got to 13th which is a par 3. One of the first pair got a hole in one and they had a good laugh saying that the other pair had this for the half.......which they duly got!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

The odds are getting higher: it was only 66 million to one back in March
    !

Wouldn't the odds vary considerable from a hacker and a decent player.

I was out with a guy in his early 70's in 2015 when he got a hole in one. The very next par 3 in the round he nearly did it again. Missing the hole by inches. We were joking that the rest of the 4 ball barely even hit the greens that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

lad I played with today had a 10 on a par 3. 4 balls in water. highest score I seen on par 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Mate of mine had a hole in one on the 13th on our course during race week in Galway. The following year, he had a hole in one on the same hole, on the same day of race week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Old guy in Greystones has had about 20+ hole in one's. He used to be a racing driver, went up against Sterling Moss back in the day. I'm pretty sure he is about 90 now, certainly not far off it. Most recent hole in one was within the last year

Edit.... One of the older ones here

https://amp.independent.ie/sport/golf/aces-high-for-bradshaw-in-early-birthday-treat-26421380.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

A certain Paul Flynn got a Albatross on a par 5 and a hole in one in the same round not long back. Odds on that must be higher than 66 million to 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,840 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Two hole-in ones in two shots. Will never be done again.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/emily-18-scores-two-holes-in-one-in-less-than-a-minute-26751453.html
    A wee girl from my club, Greenore, Co. Louth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

I saw it done about 40 years ago at RGSC pitch and putt course off the Belgard road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

A fella at our course threw his entire bag and trolly into the pond. He then had to embarrassingly get into the pond to get his car keys that were in the bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,840 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

A fella at our course threw his entire bag and trolly into the pond. He then had to embarrassingly get into the pond to get his car keys that were in the bag.
    I think that happened at every course at one time or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭Glebee

made me laugh anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

A slightly odd quirk, i'd the privilege of being the Captain of our Golf Society at work this year, and I of course got to pick the prizes for our Captain's Day which was on yesterday.

My game this year just has been like a yo yo, mostly start well and then holding on after a blow up so I naturally got some great prizes with the budget we had, and had zero expectation. But it was confirmed to me before the event, the Captain can't win his own prize. No bother says I, i won't be anywhere near it.

Playing Headfort Old Course and wind blowing a gale, squally showers, and playing with our sponsors, I started the front nine with a 1 point, 2 point, 1 point, then, a couple of pars, and bogeys got to the turn at 16 points. Not bad, one scratch on index 1, lost ball, and then kicked off with another one pointer on the bag nine. But then i seemed to par bogey from 13 in. Including the 18th when i'd driven into the 13th fairway. So I walk off with 35 points, pleased with my battling round, figuring no chance of winning. Only to be informed when my card was in, I was tied for 1st, infact winning on countback. I was shocked, usually something high 30s wins, but conditions were tough.

There were another 4 groups to come in, so off i went to clean up.

Came back still the winning score. A quick chat with the committee I said, look, just give me second. Even though i'd the best, it's our rule. So 1st prize was a nice brand new electric golf trolley, i'd to console myself with a brand new golf GPS. One in a million shot it seemed based on my current form. Golf eh.

Advertisement