Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

531 frame project.

Options
  • 18-08-2017 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

I've just bought an old Raleigh 531 frame. Intention is not so much a restoration job, but to build up to my spec. I'll need to widen the rear stays spacing in order to run 10 speed. Any recommendations as to who to go to in order to get this done? Munster area preferably. Also a new paint job. After much thought - initially was going to get it resprayed in the iconic Panasonic colours - I'm want to put my stamp on it, so looking for someone to do a special paint job - again recommendations and preferably in munster area, but willing to go further to get the right person. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

For the paint job, check out The Mad Clown Design Ind on Facebook. His stuff is incredible. Limericks based and mostly does motor bike stuff but scroll through his photos and you'll seen some of the bikes he's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Not in Munster but Bicycle Design Centre is your man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

bsb1971 wrote: »
    I've just bought an old Raleigh 531 frame. Intention is not so much a restoration job, but to build up to my spec. I'll need to widen the rear stays spacing in order to run 10 speed. Any recommendations as to who to go to in order to get this done? Munster area preferably. Also a new paint job. After much thought - initially was going to get it resprayed in the iconic Panasonic colours - I'm want to put my stamp on it, so looking for someone to do a special paint job - again recommendations and preferably in munster area, but willing to go further to get the right person. Any suggestions?

Have you tried to put in a 10 speed wheel (130mm width?)

I run 10 speed on an old 531 frame and can fit the rear in easily enough as the steel will move a bit.

What is the rear width? 125mm??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

You can widen the rear stays from 126mm to 130mm by a method called cols setting.
    There are lots of videos on U Tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdibmxBuMy0

I did a project a few years ago on a 653 frame.
    I got Bicycle Design Centre in Naas to renovate the frame. He widened the stays, did a few other things to the frame and resprayed the frame.
    He used heat to widen the stays.

I put carbon forks and a (then) modern 10 speed Campagnolo group set on the bike and new wheels.

My bike turned out well, but definitely not one for the purists.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭bsb1971

Thanks all. I don't actually have the frame in my hands yet, so not sure of the rear spacing yet. Initially I intend using it as a single speed commuter - had a pompino before so have all what I need to get pedalling. The only retro thing on my frame will be downtube shifters tbh. Everything else is purely for me. As it will be kept, so paint job will based on the Raleigh super equipe but different colour scheme, 10 speed ultegra groupset. Now all I have to do is get the cash together lol!! But on the lookout for quill stem and bars, will scour the net to find some that I like. I'll be posting pics as I go along with the different phases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

I cold set a 531 frame from 126mm to 130mm a few months back. Fairly straight forward so if you're in any way handy at all I'd recommend you try it yourself.

Prior to that I had been running an 8 speed setup in it and had just pushed the stays apart a little in order to get the wheel on. I found that while it ran fine the indexing was off and I could never get it right.

After cold setting and a couple of other things it's now shifting fine.

I tried a couple of methods but the one I found easiest was using a length of threaded bar and a few nuts. You have to widen it way beyond 130mm as it will spring back when you take the tension off. I think I went to 175mm before it settled back at 130. Look for the video on youtube which shows exactly how to do it. No heat needed.

You also need to check that the stays are equidistant from the centreline. All you need for this is a length of string and a ruler. Again check youtube.

Finally the dropouts will need to be realigned as they won't be parallel after widening. Two shorter lengths of threaded bar and a bit of muscle will do this fine. This really is important for the indexing.

Sheldon Brown has some great info on this. I think he suggested you may have to redish your wheel also but I didn't need to.

Re paint jobs: Powder coat or pro paint job. DIY will not hold up to wear and tear. If it were me I'd try to come up with my own colour scheme going on the retro theme. Matching head tube colour with seat tube panel always looks well imo.

Advertisement