Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer insurance to imported car

Options
  • 18-08-2017 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

Hi,

Have a quick question on how I go about doing something. I currently have a policy on car A that I currently own (running out in about 6 weeks). I have just today shook hands on getting a car in the UK so will be a couple of weeks before I have this (car B).

I've gotten a quote on car B using the same details as my current policy with the only exception being adding one more named driver in addition to the one I currently have on my policy. This quote is actually cheaper than my policy on car A.

So I actually have 2 questions:

1. How does this work when I transfer the policy from car A to car B? Do i still get the cheaper quote I got online? Given that I have so little time left on my current policy assuming there'll be a very small refund if so?

2. When I get the car from the UK it will obviously have UK plates. Do I transfer my policy to this car with these plates and then just ring up when I've paid the VRT and have my Irish plates on to update the policy?

Thanks

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 23 Verified rep Liberty Insurance: Kieron

Hi,

Have a quick question on how I go about doing something. I currently have a policy on car A that I currently own (running out in about 6 weeks). I have just today shook hands on getting a car in the UK so will be a couple of weeks before I have this (car B).

I've gotten a quote on car B using the same details as my current policy with the only exception being adding one more named driver in addition to the one I currently have on my policy. This quote is actually cheaper than my policy on car A.

So I actually have 2 questions:

1. How does this work when I transfer the policy from car A to car B? Do i still get the cheaper quote I got online? Given that I have so little time left on my current policy assuming there'll be a very small refund if so?

2. When I get the car from the UK it will obviously have UK plates. Do I transfer my policy to this car with these plates and then just ring up when I've paid the VRT and have my Irish plates on to update the policy?

Thanks
    Hi IR1SH RANG3R,

The new business quote you got on-line may not match the price to actually change the car as that depends on the current policy rate and the time on risk left on the policy. You should call us for more accurate information or go on-line for midterm quotes at:

https://www.libertyinsurance.ie/manage-my-policy/make-a-change/

We can insure a car with non Irish plates; we would then require you to give us details of an updated Irish registration within one month after putting the car on cover.

Hope this helps,
    Kieran

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

Thanks Kieran, that's very helpful. I'll be in touch when the new baby car arrives to sort it out :P 

Advertisement