Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit union account made dormant without notifying us

• 18-08-2017 1:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭

We have a joint account in the credit union. It's nice to know the funds are there if we are stuck. My husband went in during the week to enquire about a small loan and they told him that our account was dormant! I went in and reactivated it but what annoys me is that we were never notified that it was being made dormant. The cashier told us that a letter went out to us but we never received one. We had no problem receiving any other correspondence from the CU, Financial Statements, meeting notices etc.

I don't dispute that fact that our account was dormant, we hadn't realised there needs to be a certain amount of activity and a time period, we looked on it as an amount saved away for an emergency.

But the fact that the account was made dormant without notifying us to me seems to be a breach is it not?

I've requested a copy of the letter that supposedly went out to us so I may await that.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭Spocker

Credit Unions are not included in the current Dormant Accounts Act, and so would have their own rules about when an account becomes 'dormant' - you should ask them for a copy of their policy on this.

You ask if it's a breach, but a breach of what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

What was the practical effect of your account being declared 'dormant'? Your post suggests that you were able to reactivate the account without much ado so where's the problem?

Advertisement