Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earning my go-faster stripes...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Very good week. Remember the taper is fewer miles but try to keep up the intensity!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Murph_D wrote: »
    Very good week. Remember the taper is fewer miles but try to keep up the intensity!

Oh she'll be grand as the grads plan has a few tempo runs to be done over the next couple of weeks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

ariana` wrote: »
    Super stuff eyrie, I think a few of us have to remind ourselves that it's your first time training for a marathon too, you make it look easy ;)
    Ah thanks ariana, that's really kind of you to say. It doesn't feel so easy lately I must admit! Everything was going brilliantly until about a month ago and I feel like I've just been getting more tired and less fit ever since. I'm waiting for a moment when it will all click back together, and hoping that comes just before the 28th!!

You've had an exemplary training block yourself :)

DCM Training (Grads plan) - 3 weeks to go (aka week one of The Taper :O)
    8th - 14th October

It's taper time, and thoughts are already drifting to post-marathon plans :P But let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet...

Monday - 50 mins very easy
    4.75 miles / 10:34 avg pace / 143 (152) HR avg (max)
    Easier to fit these shorter ones in at lunchtime now, so that's what I did. Tired enough after the first mile or so.

Tuesday - 3 x 15 min tempo (8:30 - 8:14 pace), 5 min jog recoveries
    7.6 miles / 9:37 avg pace / 166 (186) HR avg (max)
    Tempo intervals: Rep 1 - 8:23 avg (1.79 miles). Rep 2 - 8:20 avg (1.8 miles). Rep 3 - 8:23 avg (1.79 miles)
    Done first thing on empty again. Probably not ideal, but I can't seem to fit these in any other way at the moment. Gusty wind made itself known, but mostly this was ok, though I still feel like I was working a bit hard for it. Legs felt wrecked later on which wouldn't be normal, so I suppose there's still a lingering effect from the 20 miles on Saturday.

Wednesday - 50 mins very easy + 30 mins runner's yoga
    4.65 miles / 10:51 avg pace / 143 HR avg
    Evening run after work. Still feeling tired. The yoga was great. I'm aware of a few niggles since the long run.

Thursday - 50 mins very easy
    4.65 miles / 10:44 avg pace / 146 HR avg
    It was very peaceful being out early this morning. A nice run.

Friday - No running. 30 mins runner's yoga.

Saturday - 2 hours easy
    11.85 miles / 10:08 avg pace
    Ahh it felt good to be back in the Park for a proper run, instead of following the DCM route. It's like coming home! Bought a bottle of lucozade sport to try it out. Can't say I liked it but it didn't cause any problems. I brought a slice of white bread with jam folded in half to try eating as fuel too, which also worked fine and was far less sickly than a gel. I can only imagine doing that at the start though. The run itself was fine, a bit lacklustre maybe. HR strap was locked on cadence so the reading was useless.

Sunday - 25 min recovery run
    2.5 miles / 10:43 avg pace
    Nice short run. Right leg feeling a bit niggly so did some rolling and lots of stretching.

Weekly mileage: 36 miles

I'm still waiting for the taper feeling to land, to start feeling more energetic. It hasn't happened yet. Mood keeps swinging wildly between excitement and blind panic, but something tells me that's all part of the emotional rollercoaster that is the taper :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

eyrie wrote: »

Saturday - 2 hours easy
    11.85 miles / 10:08 avg pace
    Ahh it felt good to be back in the Park for a proper run, instead of following the DCM route. It's like coming home! Bought a bottle of lucozade sport to try it out. Can't say I liked it but it didn't cause any problems. I brought a slice of white bread with jam folded in half to try eating as fuel too, which also worked fine and was far less sickly than a gel. I can only imagine doing that at the start though. The run itself was fine, a bit lacklustre maybe. HR strap was locked on cadence so the reading was useless.

Did you salt the jam? :pac: Think that was one of the recommendations on the podcast you recommended to me? Yummy - salty jam sambo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭ariana`

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Did you salt the jam? :pac: Think that was one of the recommendations on the podcast you recommended to me? Yummy - salty jam sambo.

Really? Sounds awful :eek:

Great week. I'm not sure doing sessions on empty is a good idea but i'd say at the very least eat a little bit extra the night before so you've some fuel in the tank! I getcha about it being hard to fit it in, it's an on-going juggling act :cool:

Dying to hear what the post marathon plans might be ;)

Yeah - if I'm not misremembering. Sounded grim to me, too.

Me too!

I must have blocked that part of the recommendation out! :eek: No I most definitely did not. Although if there was some kind of un-sweet jam-type substance that could be used I wouldn't object - I get very sick of all the sweet stuff that seems suited to fueling. And I say that as someone with a serious sweet tooth!

The mini sandwich was much more pleasant than a gel, but I'd say it would be best of all later in the race when your stomach is sick of gels and other crap, yet i can't imagine being able to eat it then so I'm not sure if it has much value really.

Great week. I'm not sure doing sessions on empty is a good idea but i'd say at the very least eat a little bit extra the night before so you've some fuel in the tank! I getcha about it being hard to fit it in, it's an on-going juggling act :cool:

I've no doubt you're right - they'd be better done at a different time but options have been limited. The session day is on a Tuesday, and I have work all day and college till 10pm so first thing is the only option. But they're almost all done now for this cycle, and I'll try and come up with a better solution for the next one.

As for plans, well I don't have any yet! Just I find myself daydreaming about other things. Or I did last week - so far this week I want nothing to do with running whatsoever! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Weekly mileage: 36 miles

I'm  still waiting for the taper feeling to land, to start feeling more  energetic. It hasn't happened yet. Mood keeps swinging wildly between  excitement and blind panic, but something tells me that's all part of the emotional rollercoaster that is the taper :D

What's your planned mileage this week? Hopefully you'll feel more energy as the taper continues. Your training has been really focused and steady, I think you've set yourself up for a lovely (first) marathon, no matter how you might be feeling about it right now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

You are doing great and have had a great training cycle. I’ve never been full of energy in the taper - generally tired and feeling fitness is disappearing. It somehow reappears on D Day though and you’ll feel absolutely brilliant.

Very interested in your after plans too. Been thinking about it a lot myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

eyrie wrote:
    It's taper time, and thoughts are already drifting to post-marathon plans But let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet...

ariana` wrote:
    Dying to hear what the post marathon plans might be

Huzzah! wrote:
    Me too!

eyrie wrote:
    As for plans, well I don't have any yet! Just I find myself daydreaming about other things. Or I did last week - so far this week I want nothing to do with running whatsoever!

Kellygirl wrote:

Hi everybody ;););)

Hi everybody ;););)

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Hi everybody ;););)

Funnily enough I see you snaring a few looking to do some shorter stuff.

skyblue46 wrote:
    Funnily enough I see you snaring a few looking to do some shorter stuff.

Persistence is key......... I'd make a great salesman. Haha

Hi everybody ;););)
    Let me guess, you're going to try and persuade us all to do another marathon straight away right? Maybe even an ultra? Sooooo predictable... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Let me guess, you're going to try and persuade us all to do another marathon straight away right? Maybe even an ultra? Sooooo predictable... :rolleyes:

XC surely?! :D

XC surely?!

As I said in my report. The marathon lads did particularly well ;)

Kellygirl wrote: »
    You are doing great and have had a great training cycle. I’ve never been full of energy in the taper - generally tired and feeling fitness is disappearing. It somehow reappears on D Day though and you’ll feel absolutely brilliant.

That's really reassuring and helpful to hear - thank you!!

I actually like the sound of your base building plans for after the marathon myself, I think I might end up doing something very similar.

eyrie wrote:
    I actually like the sound of your base building plans for after the marathon myself, I think I might end up doing something very similar.

Ditto...

• Advertisement

DCM Training (Grads plan) - Taper week 2

15th - 21st October
    In which the taper starts to actually feel like a taper :D

Monday - 40 mins very easy
    4 miles / 10:45 avg pace / 138 HR avg (max)
    At last - a run that felt properly easy! Headed out after work.

Tuesday - 4 x 10 min tempo (8:30 - 8:14 pace), 4 min jog recoveries
    7.6 miles / 9:38 avg pace / 1 (1) HR avg (max)
    Tempo intervals: Rep 1 - 8:20 avg. Rep 2 - 8:18 avg. Rep 3 - 8:21. Rep 4 - 8:20 avg.
    Done first thing in the morning, but this time I made the effort to get up a whole 10 mins earlier and have a coffee first, and a small handful of dry granola. Whether it was that or not I don't' know, but this felt a million times better than these sessions have of late. I actually enjoyed it!

Wednesday - Rest
    Was in two minds about running today or tomorrow anyway, but when I got home from work I was feeling awful so that decided it.

Thursday - 40 mins very easy
    4.05 miles / 10:47 avg pace / 141 HR avg
    Pre-breakfast run. It was cold! Might have to start digging out the long-sleeves and leggings soon :eek:. A nice run.

Friday - 40 mins very easy + 30 mins runner's yoga
    3.85 miles / 10:28 avg pace / 145 HR avg
    Heart rate seemed a tiny bit high on this, but nothing too crazy. Finally got around to doing yoga again, which was needed.

Saturday - Rest
    College all day. Noticing some niggly feelings in my right leg again...

Sunday - 75 mins very easy + 30 mins runner's yoga
    7.4 miles / 10:11 avg pace / 141 HR avg
    Lovely run, felt like I was skipping along for a lot of it. Definitely aware of tightness in the right leg though, both glute and on the outside of the knee. Came home and did more yoga and foam rolled a bit.
    Went wild and had half a beer before heading to the cinema in the evening! Living dangerously, I know, no need to tell me. :D

Weekly mileage: 26.9 miles

It's weird having all this extra time that would normally be spent running. Now it's spent overthinking everything to do with running, obviously :P Actually though there's still a serious amount of denial going on about planning, logistics, pace, etc I'm still not fully sure how to approach the race in terms of target. I kind of want to avoid any of that and just go by feel, but I'm aware that's probably not a realistic approach for a first marathon. Posted a question about this in the novices thread earlier and got some very helpful responses. Basically I really hope to duck in under 4 hours, but I'd love to make it in 3:55. The dilemma is how hard to push for that, and whether going for it would mean risking the enjoyment of it all...

eyrie wrote:
    It's weird having all this extra time that would normally be spent running. Now it's spent overthinking everything to do with running, obviously Actually though there's still a serious amount of denial going on about planning, logistics, pace, etc I'm still not fully sure how to approach the race in terms of target. I kind of want to avoid any of that and just go by feel, but I'm aware that's probably not a realistic approach for a first marathon. Posted a question about this in the novices thread earlier and got some very helpful responses. Basically I really hope to duck in under 4 hours, but I'd love to make it in 3:55. The dilemma is how hard to push for that, and whether going for it would mean risking the enjoyment of it all...

It'd be nice to see into the future right about now wouldn't it?!
    I'll only say if you're the type to put too much pressure on yourself in general (like in work and stuff), then maybe go with the more conservative route... I am that type and it contributed to making Limerick that little bit harder I must say.

I think you have a great attitude not pushing for what the calculators are saying is possible and the 3:55 is more than in your range but I’ve seen the responses and agree. Just start out nice and conservatively at the 3:59 pace and after the first 7 miles you can start to slowly pick it up. Then when you get into the 2nd half pick it up a bit more. You’ll be brilliant and will have a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

DCM Training (Grads plan) - Taper week 2

It's weird having all this extra time that would normally be spent running. Now it's spent overthinking everything to do with running, obviously :P Actually though there's still a serious amount of denial going on about planning, logistics, pace, etc I'm still not fully sure how to approach the race in terms of target. I kind of want to avoid any of that and just go by feel, but I'm aware that's probably not a realistic approach for a first marathon. Posted a question about this in the novices thread earlier and got some very helpful responses. Basically I really hope to duck in under 4 hours, but I'd love to make it in 3:55. The dilemma is how hard to push for that, and whether going for it would mean risking the enjoyment of it all...

You've got plenty good advice, so I'll just step in and nag: by Wednesday right :p

My OH is in a bit of shock - I managed to do the laundry, the supermarket & cook dinner today without him. No idea when I last had that sort of time on my hands.

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I'll only say if you're the type to put too much pressure on yourself in general (like in work and stuff), then maybe go with the more conservative route... I am that type and it contributed to making Limerick that little bit harder I must say.
    I think you have a great attitude not pushing for what the calculators are saying is possible and the 3:55 is more than in your range but I’ve seen the responses and agree. Just start out nice and conservatively at the 3:59 pace and after the first 7 miles you can start to slowly pick it up. Then when you get into the 2nd half pick it up a bit more. You’ll be brilliant and will have a great day.

I agree with this. Start out with the more conservative 3:59 goal and then pick it up. I've no doubt you'll be more than able to. Have a look at some of the pace bands - even if you never use one, it might give you an idea of how to break down the pacing.

Ahh I love this place!! Thanks so much for the encouraging comments. I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy now... :P
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    I know, I wouldn't say no to a crystal ball right now! Although maybe I would, sure it'd take all the fun out of it really...

I think that's a very fair point though, and you're right.
    Thanks so much K! Means a lot. Think I'll be following your advice :)
    juke wrote: »
    You've got plenty good advice, so I'll just step in and nag: by Wednesday right tongue.png

My OH is in a bit of shock - I managed to do the laundry, the supermarket & cook dinner today without him. No idea when I last had that sort of time on my hands.
    But now the weather has changed everything!!! How are we supposed to decide? :eek:
    I agree with this. Start out with the more conservative 3:59 goal and then pick it up. I've no doubt you'll be more than able to. Have a look at some of the pace bands - even if you never use one, it might give you an idea of how to break down the pacing.
    I actually am thinking of getting myself one of them. I probably won't follow it (something about a bit of paper telling me what to do makes me want to rebel :D) but even just to see how it all could work sounds reassuring. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭ariana`

I started a reply yesterday but got distracted. Whatever you decide (or have already decided) i think you're going to have a great run on Sunday eyrie - and i sincerely hope i am right (in fairness i usually am :D)!

You have checked all the boxes on this marathon journey; your training has been consistent and suitably challenging, you've a proven track record of intelligent racing, and I have no doubt you've done your homework with respect to DCM and sensible pacing for the course etc.

All that's left to do now to go out and enjoy it ;)

PM me your email address and I’ll send you the pace band for 355 - course specific and negative split.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

I agree with all the above comments about starting off conservatively and pushing on later. Your training has been exemplary so I really think you're going to have a fantastic (and enjoyable) first marathon:)

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone! No going back now... :eek:

Posting a mini update for the start of this week. I can't seem to think about anything but running, so I might as well write about it :D

DCM Training (Grads plan) - The final week (part 1)!!

Monday 22nd - Rest Do I have a sore right leg? Don't I? Hmmm....

Tuesday 23rd - 30 mins very easy (treadmill)
    2.75 miles / 10:57 avg pace
    First time in a looooong time on a treadmill, and maybe I'm changing but I didn't hate it! It was kind of nice to just switch off completely and zone out. I felt very conscious of my right leg though, doesn't feel right.

Wednesday 24th
    Walking to work in the morning I still felt my leg wasn't right. I'm used to a slight niggle in the hip/glute, but now it seemed to be extending the length of the leg and around my knee. Logically I felt fairly sure it was nothing and would be gone in a day with some stretching/rolling, but taper time is no time for logic, apparently. Scored myself a last minute physio appointment in the afternoon, where I was put through various tests before being solemnly diagnosed with... #tapermadness. Actually the physio was really reassuring and encouraging, so I'm not sorry I went anyway. Got a bit of a rub down while he told me insane stories about the Irish marathon runners of the 80s and their training :eek:

15 min tempo (8:30-8:14) + w/u and c/d | 30 mins runner's yoga
    3.7 miles / 9:35 avg pace / 153 (181) HR avg (max)
    Tempo section: 8:20 average (1.8 miles)
    The last run involving any kind of effort before the main event. I had an out and back route for this and the second half was harder than the first, thanks to a decent headwind (which no doubt helped during the first half). It was fine, but if I thought I was going to be flying along like a gazelle and everything would feel laughably easy thanks to the magical taper, well... it wasn't quite like that :eek:
    Came home and did some yoga, which was lovely and relaxing, and my legs felt all the better for it.

Advertisement