Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earning my go-faster stripes...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I keep avoiding my log because I want to do a bit of a think back/write up of the year that's just finished, and I haven't had the time yet. But in the meantime I have an actual week of running to report for the first time since October, so here goes.

31st December 2018 - 6th January 2019

Monday - 30 mins easy (3.25 miles @ 9:39 pace). Enjoyable last run of 2018!

Tuesday - Lovely new year's day walk around Donadea Forest. No running.

Wednesday - Back to work. Ugh. Cheered myself up with a mini progression run. I'm moving up to 40 min runs as of today so this was 35 min progression (Easy to MP) + 5 min cool down. Very enjoyable and felt comfortable.
    11 mins easy @ 10:17 avg
    12 mins moderate ish @ 9:18 avg
    12 mins MP ish @ 8:38

Thursday - 40 mins easy (4 miles @ 10:06 pace, HR 152)
    Another lunchtime run. Feel like I'm getting a bit of a rhythm back, although I definitely slowed towards the end of this so my endurance is clearly gone to pieces.
    Signed up for Raheny.

Friday - 30 mins easy (2.9 miles @ 10:24 pace, HR 154)
    Felt this more than the recent ones, but it was done in the morning after a late night. Kept it shorter.

Saturday - 40 mins total: 30 easy + 6 x strides (4.05 miles @ 10:27 avg)
    Good and the strides felt very comfortable, more so than the last two weeks.

Sunday - 40 mins easy (4 miles @ 9:54)
    Great. One of those runs where you're in a crappy mood and it instantly makes everything better. Felt really good too.

Physio exercises done before every run.
    Yoga: 30 mins on Monday, Wednesday and Sunday.

Total: 22.7 miles for the week. That'll do as a start :)

Happy new year to anyone reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Great stuff. Sounds like it's coming together again and, most importantly, that you're enjoying it. I think the endurance will come back before you know it. Runs feel a bit mores sluggish at this time of year, anyway.

Delighted to see you've signed up for Raheny :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

It's great to see you back running regularly. Enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Huzzah! wrote: »

Great stuff. Me three!

Great stuff. Sounds like it's coming together again and, most importantly, that you're enjoying it. I think the endurance will come back before you know it. Runs feel a bit mores sluggish at this time of year, anyway.

Great stuff. Me three!
    Yessss! We'll have fun so ;)
    Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    It's great to see you back running regularly. Enjoy it!
    Thanks A! You're flying it lately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

How are you doing today then, have fun?

aquinn wrote: »
    How are you doing today then, have fun?
    I did, thanks for asking! I didn't get a proper chance to find out how it all works so I have some questions still, but it was really nice running with a group for a change, and they were very welcoming/encouraging.

7th - 13th January
    A messy week. I was off work and in college instead all week, and I ended up missing quite a few days. Not great, but I guess I don't want to be building up too fast either so a step back isn't the worst thing that could have happened.

Monday - Nada. Feeling bleh.

Tuesday - Club (!) session: 6 x 600 (300 jog recovery) (6 miles total)
    Reps: 2:48, 2:45, 2:49, 2:50, 2:46, 2:47
    Took the motivation of the new year as a prompt to finally go and check out a club. I hadn't a notion how to pace these and I didn't make any particular effort to do so since it was the first speed session in over 3 months. Being there and checking out the club was the priority, which was great. Very friendly and welcoming people.

Wednesday - 40 mins recovery (3.75 miles @ 10:51, HR 146)
    Right leg felt very tight and uncomfortable. Yoga after the run helped a lot.

Thursday - Nothing. College and other stuff got in the way.

Friday - 50 mins easy (5 miles @ 10:09)

Saturday - 25 min tempo ish (splits: 8:03, 8:25, 7:59) (4.2 miles total)
    Had not plan for this when I headed out, but figured I should do somethign other than easy. That meant I hadn't checked what my tempo pace is (haven't used it for a while ;) ) so I winged it a bit but this felt great.

Sunday - Nothing. A run was planned, but... life stuff happened.

Total: 19 miles :(
    - Physio exercises before every run
    - Only one yoga session and I could really feel the lack of it by the end of the week.

Not what I had intended but it was an awkward sort of a week. Back to the normal routine now so hopefully I'll be more consistent. The highlight was definitely going to try out the club though. It's still fairly awkward for me to get to in terms of times and location so realistically I'm afraid I'd end up just not going, but I think I'd like to give it a try. It felt so different training with other people, I felt like my brain just switched off and did what it was told (in a good way), instead of having to focus on exactly what was happening myself. Benefits to both, I'm sure.

14th - 20th January
    Another week, another update...

Monday - 50 mins easy (5 miles @ 10:09, HR 150)
    A runmute - can't remember the last one of these I did! Enjoyable.

Tuesday
    - Club session: 12 x 400 (200 jog recovery) (7.3 miles with w/u + c/d)
    Reps: 1:56, 1:53, 1:47, 1:51, 1:49, 1:50, 1:48, 1:48, 1:46, 1:46, 1:43, 1:44
    Got confused by the instructions and thought the first rep was a jog initially, hence the slowness! I wasn't trying to hit any particular pace for these, just ran them to see where they fell. The club coach told me to just try 8 reps but I felt great so kept going. Loved it, great to be back doing proper sessions! I felt fairly fit, which surprised me.

Wednesday - 50 min morning runmute (5 miles @ 10:47, HR 147)
    Dragged myself along, felt so tired!

Thursday - Attempted recovery run (3.2 miles @ 10:42, HR 151)
    First thing in the morning after a bad night's sleep, so while the plan was a short recovery run, it didn't feel as easy as it should have for that.

Friday - 3 x 8 min threshold (3 min jog recovery) (6 miles incl w/u and c/d)
    Paces for the threshold reps: 7:47, 7:49 & 7:54
    Running is a mystery to me at the moment. This seemed easier than I would have expected? Not complaining, but I have no real sense of where I am at the moment. Poor endurance still I assume since I haven't run more than a few miles at a time in months, but the sessions are feeling ok. These reps were a bit quick (I think threshold pace is around 8:00), but I had decided not to really go by the watch.

Saturday - Rest. College all day. Leg a bit iffy since the session last night.

Sunday - 70 ish mins easy (7.2 miles @ 10:09 pace, HR 147)
    Closest thing to an, ahem, “long” run for months. No real energy for this, really felt my endurance lacking. Lovely day, felt fine beforehand, no reason why it should have been hard but I just felt sluggish

Total: 33.8 miles

- Yoga: 3 times

Pretty happy with that for the week. It's the first time getting back up to some kind of proper training. The sessions felt good whereas the easy stuff was harder, relatively. Also noticed any kind of hill had me wrecked, so there's plenty still to work on in terms of fitness. Raheny next weekend will be... interesting? No idea what to expect. But it's all about the goody bag anyway, right? ;)

Same mileage as me :)

Great to see you back at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭ariana`

eyrie wrote: »
    14th - 20th January

Total: 33.8 miles[/B]
    - Yoga: 3 times

Pretty happy with that for the week. It's the first time getting back up to some kind of proper training. The sessions felt good whereas the easy stuff was harder, relatively. Also noticed any kind of hill had me wrecked, so there's plenty still to work on in terms of fitness. Raheny next weekend will be... interesting? No idea what to expect. But it's all about the goody bag anyway, right? ;)

Great to see you happy with that week, you should be, well done :)

Same mileage as me :)
    Snap! Not that I would have known that from your weekly summary, I still can't translate the currencies :rolleyes:

Thanks you two, it feels great to be getting vaguely back to normal. Of course now the challenge will be how to make time for running again after I managed to fill the void with all sorts of crap over the last while :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck tomorrow, run well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Very best of running today. Give it socks

Thanks guys! Feeling a long way off racing fit so the aim is just to give it an honest go really.

And now since I got up early to watch the Australian Open final (very disappointing so far :() I might as get the pre-race update out of the way!

Monday - 45 mins easy treadmill (4.5 miles @ 9:58, HR 150)
    Tight for time during my lunch break so kept this short (and indoors, couldn't psych myself up for the cold!) and was bold and did no stretching after. Really paid for that later as the leg was incredibly tight. Seems I can't get away with that anymore :(

Tuesday - 40 mins easy treadmill (4 miles @ 9:58, HR 147)
    Same as yesterday but I stopped 5 mins earlier to get in at least a bit of stretching. Made a difference.

Wednesday - 6 x 1 min Vo2 max (2 min recoveries) (4 miles @ 9:56, HR 151/183 max)
    6:47, 6:55, 6:46, 6:43, 7:06, 6:44
    Bit harder than I expected! And no real idea how to judge Vo2 max pace, so I think I ran some of them a bit too hard. Kept having to dodge people on the footpath which didn't help! I think they should probably feel more like longer strides? i.e. smooth and controlled rather than the faster the better. Not sure though!

Thursday - Rest

Friday - 40 ish mins easy (4 miles @ 10:26, HR strap was doing the cadence thing)

Saturday - 20 mins recovery (1.9 miles @ 11:08, HR 135)
    Nice and easy.

And that brings up to race day! No plans for this one, would honestly love not to be doing it now. But sure it's something to do of a Sunday :rolleyes:

eyrie wrote:
    Wednesday - 6 x 1 min Vo2 max (2 min recoveries) (4 miles @ 9:56, HR 151/183 max) 6:47, 6:55, 6:46, 6:43, 7:06, 6:44 Bit harder than I expected! And no real idea how to judge Vo2 max pace, so I think I ran some of them a bit too hard. Kept having to dodge people on the footpath which didn't help! I think they should probably feel more like longer strides? i.e. smooth and controlled rather than the faster the better. Not sure though!

As fast as you can go while remaining smooth and controlled. Haha. I think around 3k effort for that session. Probably a little quicker than strides but more important to maintain good form throughout and not strain or struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Still learning to figure that pace myself. It’s never as fast as I think though - definitely more controlled and not an all out sprint. Have to catch up yet on strava to see how you got on today!

eyrie wrote: »

And that brings up to race day! No plans for this one, would honestly love not to be doing it now. But sure it's something to do of a Sunday :rolleyes:

Bet you're glad you did it now :)

As fast as you can go while remaining smooth and controlled. Haha. I think around 3k effort for that session. Probably a little quicker than strides but more important to maintain good form throughout and not strain or struggle.
    Ha! Makes sense though, thanks. Probably need to do it a few more times to get a proper feel.

Bet you're glad you did it now :)
    As I sat down with my bag of twirl bites last night, I was indeed glad :p

• Advertisement

Raheny 5 mile 27th January - Race Report

I'll keep this short as it was a race I never really got into mentally, nor had any particular hopes for beforehand. Logic told me I'd be slower than last year, I mean I'm only back to 'normal' training a week or two after two months of practically nothing and then a slow build back up. And yet I kind of felt I might squeeze a pb all the same. I'll save you the suspense: I did. About 25 seconds worth. A way off where I'd like my time to be, but it actually gave me confidence that with a bit more proper training under my belt I should be in a better position than this time last year.

The start was slow, so slow. Came to a walk in a few places due to the crowds. Largely my own fault as I started much too far back. Felt good for the first 2 miles or so, but mile 3 felt very long and I was starting to notice negative thoughts creeping in. They didn't slow me down it turns out, but I never really sped up either. Could I have? I'm not sure. The last mile and a half I was definitely working hard and just wanting it to be over. I didn't really let loose until the finishing gantry was in sight, when I stepped on it and passed a good few people. To my surprise I actually felt miles better as soon as I picked up the pace. Normally this is the bit I hate as it's pure pain and you're just willing the finish line to be here, now, but I actually felt great sprinting for the line. I would say I should have started sooner but I'm under no illusion that it would have felt good for long or that I'd have been able to keep it up :rolleyes:
    Crossed the finish line and felt pretty ok, then joined the queue for the infamous goody bag. Found S who had driven me out and we had to head off quickly so didn't get to spot any of the boardsies I had my eye out for, but I'm very pleased to hear it was a good day for many.

Chip time: 38:29 - PB (previous PB from the same race last year was 38:53)
    Splits: 8:03, 7:45, 7:37, 7:45, 7:41

I'm happy enough that I worked hard out there. It was a fair effort, I think, and I'm glad I took a chance on going for a quicker pace than last year. I'll be honest and say that it's a result I would hope to improve on substantially, but it gives me something to work off and it's good to know where I am now. And really, given the time out since DCM, I would have expected to be a lot worse so that's definitely positive.

I'm treating it as a line drawn under the last few months and now I get to start training properly. And for that, I can't wait ;)

Mileage for the week: just shy of 25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Nice to start the year with a PB! Well done!

I've no doubt your times are going to come crashing down this year to be honest. I just hope I can keep up :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

A PB coming from what you have gone through injury wise bodes very well for the future, well done.

Congrats on the PB. I'm not plamasing you when I say I really think this will be a big year for you on the PB front and I understand when you say it's a result you want to improve on substantially. Great to draw a line under the injury woes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

As the others have said that's a great run off limited training. It shows how much the last 12 months training has stood to you. No doubt there will be chunks falling off lots of your times as the year progresses. Best of luck with it. :)

Big things to come. Wait n see!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Great to see a PB there after a tough few months, well done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Well done on the Raheny PB, great stuff. Looking forward to seeing how you get on now that you're back training properly, exciting times:)

Belated thanks very much everyone. All your nice words shut me up for a bit. It meant a lot, so thanks :)
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    Nice to start the year with a PB! Well done!

I've no doubt your times are going to come crashing down this year to be honest. I just hope I can keep up :p
    Oh I think I'll still be chasing you around somehow!
    OOnegative wrote: »
    A PB coming from what you have gone through injury wise bodes very well for the future, well done.
    Thanks B, I hope so!
    Congrats on the PB. I'm not plamasing you when I say I really think this will be a big year for you on the PB front and I understand when you say it's a result you want to improve on substantially. Great to draw a line under the injury woes as well.
    The year ahead feels totally unpredictable at the moment but I'd certainly love it if you were right :p Thanks E, and well done again yourself. Think it's going to be an interesting year for many of us.
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    As the others have said that's a great run off limited training. It shows how much the last 12 months training has stood to you. No doubt there will be chunks falling off lots of your times as the year progresses. Best of luck with it. :)
    Thanks S!
    Big things to come. Wait n see!
    Ha! I like your optimism, though I'm not sure what it's based on!
    Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Great to see a PB there after a tough few months, well done!!
    Thanks A! You're going great yourself lately.
    Well done on the Raheny PB, great stuff. Looking forward to seeing how you get on now that you're back training properly, exciting times:)
    Thanks! Really hope you're able to get back to it soon yourself.

• Advertisement

28th January - 3rd Feb
    Ancient history already so let's keep this brief!

Monday - 20 min recovery (1.9 miles @ 11:15, HR 140) + 30 min yoga
    Garmin demoted me a fitness (Vo2 max) point for this. Thanks Garmin! Annoying niggly right side all day. Yoga helped a bit.

Tuesday - Easy 45 mins incl 4 x 1 min surges (4.55 miles @ 9:53, HR 153)
    On the treadmill. This was fun! The surges break up the treadmill monotony. In lieu of a proper session, given the race recovery.

Wednesday - Easy 75 ish mins (7.7 miles @ 10:05, HR 149)
    Had the opportunity for a slightly longer midweek run than I've managed lately. Icy cold but very pleasant.

Thursday - Easy 3.15 miles @ 10:06, HR 145
    Plan was to go to the club session. I dragged myself out in the cold and wet but... no one else did. Not a soul there so came home and just did a short easy run instead, given the time wasted. :rolleyes:

Friday - 20 min tempo (6.15 miles @ 9:30, HR 161 avg/183 max)
    Tempo bit: 8:29, 8:22, 8:27 for 0.4 (Goal: 8:34-8:21)
    To make up for yesterday's session fail. Tried to watch the effort and keep it from getting high. Ok I think.

Saturday - 90 mins easy (9.05 miles @ 10:00, HR 152)
    First long (relatively speaking!) run since DCM. Hills in the phoenix park. The best thing about running, basically, this kind of run on a crisp day.

Sunday - Rest. Travelling for work.

Total: 32.5 miles for the week.

January Total: 114.5 miles
    Lower than I'd like ordinarily, but given that the first few weeks were spent still building back up slowly that was how it needed to be. Apparently I covered 124 miles last January and that was full training for me then, so not too far off!

And that's that, time for proper running (i.e. an actual plan!) to recommence!

Advertisement