Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earning my go-faster stripes...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

4th - 10th Feb
    Finally, back to a proper plan - the Grads 5k-10k plan to be precise. I keep thinking I've done this before because I've done a few of the other distances now, but not this one actually so I think I'm going to enjoy it :)

Monday - 60 mins easy (GPS fail but roughly 5.7 miles I think)
    In London for work and I was all excited about having a new place to run. Up and out before work and the weather was lousy but nice to explore a new park. So many runners about!

Tuesday - 8 x 1 min hills, jog 2 min recoveries (4.25 miles @ 10:42, HR 151 avg/188 max)
    Tried to squeeze this in at lunchtime, which meant hoping the hill at Christchurch would do. It didn't. Too short and too many people and cars to dodge. Bit of a fail but it was definitely hard nonetheless.

Wednesday - Easy 6 miles @ 9:53, HR 151
    Gorgeous run! Perfect day for it too. Headed out to Ringsend, haven't been out that way for ages.

Thursday - Easy 4.2 miles @ 10:19, HR 148 | Yoga
    A beaut of a run, short and sweet and felt like I was skipping along. Niggly leg again earlier in the day, so did some yoga post-run.

Friday - 25 min tempo (6.6 miles incl warm up and cool down)
    Tempo bit: 8:31, 8:28, 8:22 (Goal 8:34-8:22)
    A very windy morning had me dreading this, but I did it on a looped route so it probably evened out more or less overall. I found it reasonably tough but appropriately so instead of overly so, I think. I hope!

Saturday - 1 hr 45 easy (10.5 miles @ 9:57, HR 149)
    Away for the weekend but I got to sneak out for my long run while the rugby was on :D Loved this and felt great throughout, very fluid. Started to get a bit tired towards the end though, so I guess my endurance still needs to build back up again.

Sunday - 30 mins recovery (3 miles @ 10:13) + a bit of gym stuff
    I wasn't planning on doing anything today but we both decided to poke our noses into the hotel gym and this was the result.

Total: 40.3 miles

I'm surprised at the mileage actually as I didn't think i'd get near 40 again for a fair while. Not sure it's a great idea but I loved the week I must say, and it all felt very manageable. Feels bloody great to be back on a plan and doing some proper running :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Nice week, you’ve gone from 25 to 32 to 40 miles in past three weeks. Not saying your not able for it, but try find a happy medium and try sticking to it for a few weeks while you build things back up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Plan buddies! Do you have a target race in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

You’ll love the plan and great to see you back training well.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Nice week, you’ve gone from 25 to 32 to 40 miles in past three weeks. Not saying your not able for it, but try find a happy medium and try sticking to it for a few weeks while you build things back up again.
    No you're dead right B, last week was too much too soon I think. Woke up with stiff knees this morning which certainly shouldn't be happening and no doubt is telling me something! Low 30s for the next couple of weeks sounds about right.
    Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Plan buddies! Do you have a target race in mind?
    Plan buddies, yay! I don't actually, struggling to find one! Terenure 5 mile fits and is a race I like, but I'd like my target to be a 5k. I might copy you and tweak the weeks a bit to suit something.
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    You’ll love the plan and great to see you back training well.
    Thanks K! Feels great I must say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

eyrie wrote: »
    4th - 10th Feb

Saturday - 1 hr 45 easy (10.5 miles @ 9:57, HR 149)
    Away for the weekend but I got to sneak out for my long run while the rugby was on :D Loved this and felt great throughout, very fluid. Started to get a bit tired towards the end though, so I guess my endurance still needs to build back up again.

Blasphemy :eek:

I've enjoyed catching up here, belated well done on the PB

11th - 17th Feb
    Grads 5k-10k Plan - Week 2

Monday - Runmute: 60 mins easy (5.9 miles @10:20, HR 148)

Tuesday - 6 x 3 min CV pace (5.5 miles incl warm up and cool down)
    Paces for CV intervals: 7:21, 7:41, 7:27, 7:29, 7:28, 7:32 (Target pace: 7:47 - 7:36)
    I got the pace wrong for all of these and ran them too quick. I can't remember what 10k pace feels like!! It's been too long... Shortened the recoveries a bit as 3 mins felt long. That said, it was highly enjoyable and I felt brilliant after it. Plus Garmin promoted me a fitness point, woo! I'm now back up to where I was for the marathon, only 4 months later :rolleyes:

Wednesday - 50 mins on the treadmill (5.1 @ 9:45, HR 145)

Thursday - Short morning runmute (3.6 miles @ 10:27, HR 138)
    Half asleep, shuffled along. Surprised the heart rate was so low.

Friday - 5 x 5 min threshold, jog 2 min recoveries (6.7 miles incl warm up and cool down)
    Threshold interval paces: 7:51, 7:53, 7:44, 7:49, 7:53 (Goal: 7:57 - 8:09)
    As with Tuesday's session, these were too quick, although this time I was actually checking the watch and thought I was ok, so I'm not really sure what happened. Effort was ok I think. Then again it's hard to judge the difference between this and Tuesday's when you're talking about as little as 10 seconds per mile difference in goal pace at times. My ability to sense pace is not that finely tuned!

Saturday - Rest. Stuck in college all day.

Sunday - 1 hr 30 easy (9.2 miles @ 9:59)
    Flew to Bordeaux for a work trip, arrived in the late afternoon and headed straight out for a run/explore. Beautiful place. The whole city seemed to be out walking, rollerblading or playing some kind of sport along the river. Amazing facilities there, it was a pleasure to run in.
    Should have been 1hr 45 but I had to go to a work dinner.

Total: 36 miles

The structure of this plan is to do the long run the day after the second session, on tired legs. Having a day in between wasn't ideal and made it feel easier I'm sure, plus it wasn't the full length anyway. Honestly I loved this week though, the running felt great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great week. Well done. Sounds like you really enjoyed it.

Do you set a pace range when setting up workouts on the watch? I find it a great help.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Great week. Well done. Sounds like you really enjoyed it.

Do you set a pace range when setting up workouts on the watch? I find it a great help.
    I do!! Which makes it all the more ridiculous. Then again the watch annoys me when it buzzes too much so I start ignoring it. Smart, I know... :o I think I want to teach myself to feel out the pace but I haven't managed it yet so it goes a bit wrong sometimes :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I do!! Which makes it all the more ridiculous. Then again the watch annoys me when it buzzes too much so I start ignoring it. Smart, I know... :o I think I want to teach myself to feel out the pace but I haven't managed it yet so it goes a bit wrong sometimes :rolleyes:

The best way to stop the watch from buzzing is to stay within the range..:pac:

It can be annoying though. I remember doing a session during Parkrun and because I was sucked into running a bit faster than planned my watch was a terrible irritation to anyone around me with its constant buzzing :o

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »
    The best way to stop the watch from buzzing is to stay within the range..:pac:
    I was trying, I swear!! Honestly I find it hard with the shorter intervals as it takes the watch a little while to settle and then they're nearly over. And if you're constantly either speeding up or slowing down all within a 3 min rep just to please the watch it gets ridiculous. I dunno though, I've a lot to learn about judging pace I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

And if you're constantly either speeding up or slowing down all within a 3 min rep just to please the watch it gets ridiculous. I dunno though, I've a lot to learn about judging pace I think!

I had the same thoughts on mine, and I found some of those shorter reps are just too short to be able to settle on the pace when you find it i.e. right at the 5 second countdown!

You're looking fairly zippy all the same :D

ReeReeG wrote: »
    You're looking fairly zippy all the same :D
    Ha! I'm getting that kid-like feeling back of just wanting to RUNNNNNN, know what I mean? It's the best :P

eyrie wrote:
    Ha! I'm getting that kid-like feeling back of just wanting to RUNNNNNN, know what I mean? It's the best

I do...And long may it last!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

eyrie wrote:
    I do!! Which makes it all the more ridiculous. Then again the watch annoys me when it buzzes too much so I start ignoring it. Smart, I know... I think I want to teach myself to feel out the pace but I haven't managed it yet so it goes a bit wrong sometimes

Great to hear you're trying. It's the best skill you'll learn. Keep trying! It's worth it. And it takes a while. Lots of practice. The most important thing is you're trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Delighted to see you loving it.

All my long runs had a rest day before them instead of the session because of how the week fell for me. I’m going to try and change that for the HM plan but I don’t think it’s a major problem.

Great to hear you're trying. It's the best skill you'll learn. Keep trying! It's worth it. And it takes a while. Lots of practice. The most important thing is you're trying.
    Trying and failing miserably apparently! I swear I used to be better at this... Yesterday was worse again, going to post the gorey details now. :o
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    Delighted to see you loving it.

All my long runs had a rest day before them instead of the session because of how the week fell for me. I’m going to try and change that for the HM plan but I don’t think it’s a major problem.
    Thanks K. I agree it works even if you space it out differently, though certainly for the marathon plan I think it was a significant extra stimulus doing the long run close after the session. Good for the confidence too! I'd say it would be a help for the HM if you can manage it, but I'm sure if you don't do it that way every week it's not the end of the world either.

Grads 5k-10k Plan - Week 3 (part 1)

Ok here goes, I'm posting the first part of the week early because I botched yesterday's session (again :() and was kindly 'warned' on Strava (hi P :pac:) so figured I might as well put it up here and get it over with.

Monday 18th - Rest. Still away for work and got out of the meetings late so left no time before dinner to run.

Tuesday 19th - 6 easy miles @ 10:29
    Up for a final run around Bordeaux in the morning before flying home. Very pleasant altogether.

Wednesday 20th - 8 x 1 min hills, 2-3 min recovery (6.4 miles total)
    Rep paces: 6:28, 7:04, 7:10, 7:24, 7:15, 7:00, 6:55, 7:00
    Back on home turf, and another attempt at a lunchtime hill session. Didn't work too well last time aaaaand.... didn't work too well this time either but for very different reasons. This time the hill choice was fine, it was me that was the problem. The first rep nearly killed me and only when I uploaded the run later did I realise why. 6:28 is not a pace I run, never mind uphill!

In fairness, I think I learned from this one. I really wasn't sure what the effort was supposed to be for hill reps other than 'bloody hard', and now I think I have a better sense of it. Although exactly how much less hard it should be I'm still not sure. Is 5k effort cutting it back too far or about right? Advice welcome!

Anyway, onwards. I don't think I'm normally in the habit of totally overcooking sessions like this, so I dunno what's going on lately. Out of practice maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I'm not sure if you have seen Swashbuckler's post in the grads thread, but it is what I followed for my hill session:
    Fast enough where you are challenged but focus on form and posture and lifting those knees and powering up the hill. Enough effort that you'll manage all 8. Pick a point that you reach at the end of the first one and that's your target for the remaining 7. Forget about paces for this one. It should be tough but not so tough that your form goes out the window. But not so easy that you'd manage two or three more. A fine balance!

eyrie wrote:
    In fairness, I think I learned from this one. I really wasn't sure what the effort was supposed to be for hill reps other than 'bloody hard', and now I think I have a better sense of it. Although exactly how much less hard it should be I'm still not sure. Is 5k effort cutting it back too far or about right? Advice welcome!

I aimed for 5k pace but it was also mentioned on the grads thread, I think by Swashbuckler, that depending on the hill you might need to aim for harder or slower...
    If it's any consolation I overcooked my second hill sprint session too 😆

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I aimed for 5k pace but it was also mentioned on the grads thread, I think by Swashbuckler, that depending on the hill you might need to aim for harder or slower...
    If it's any consolation I overcooked my second hill sprint session too ��

And I missed/skipped them all :o

Grads 5k-10k Plan - Week 3 (part 1)

Ok here goes, I'm posting the first part of the week early because I botched yesterday's session (again :() and was kindly 'warned' on Strava (hi P :pac:) so figured I might as well put it up here and get it over with.

Wednesday 20th - 8 x 1 min hills, 2-3 min recovery (6.4 miles total)
    Rep paces: 6:28, 7:04, 7:10, 7:24, 7:15, 7:00, 6:55, 7:00
    Back on home turf, and another attempt at a lunchtime hill session. Didn't work too well last time aaaaand.... didn't work too well this time either but for very different reasons. This time the hill choice was fine, it was me that was the problem. The first rep nearly killed me and only when I uploaded the run later did I realise why. 6:28 is not a pace I run, never mind uphill!

Anyway, onwards. I don't think I'm normally in the habit of totally overcooking sessions like this, so I dunno what's going on lately. Out of practice maybe.

Haha. To explain what I meant on Strava - I tend to save my advice for Boards coz we are all here trying to learn from eachother. If I start commenting on ye're Strava runs then your non Boards friends will think who the hell does this guy think he is. Plus theres always more detail in the logs than on Strava.

These hill sessions are tricky and they took me a few goes to get right. Firstly, I believe the idea behind this session i.e the addition of the hill allows people to do speedwork and minimise the risk of injury. If I was to do a 45s speed session on the flat i'd be looking to go much much quicker than I do on the hill. What the hill essentially forces me to do is get the same (more) gains but at a slower pace and hence less risk of completely straining myself.

There is a conditioning element to the session too in that you are forcing muscles to do work on the hill that you normally wouldnt on the flat.

So don't worry about paces for this. I can honestly say Ive never checked my watch for pace doing this session. Don't bother. It's a waste of time and pulls your focus away from what you should be focusing on which is.......

1. Driving up the hill, pumping the arms, lifting those knees, good solid form.
    2. If you start straining or your form is collapsing you're defeating the purpose of it.
    3. Yes your lungs should be on fire at the top of the hill. That's normal. As time goes on and you do more of these you'll see that you start to feel worse progressively later in the session. You'll also start to see that the recovery improves i.e. you'll feel better at the bottom of the hill as time goes on.

Set yourself a marker on the first one and try to get to that marker on each subsequent rep. If you go all out on the first one and find that you've set yourself an unachievable target then set a new target after the second or third one. No point trying to strain to reach that over achieved first marker!

This session is great. I can honestly say after having a few of them included last Summer I felt more springy, strong, posture improved when running.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Be patient. And don't get me wrong either. You should feel fairly bucked at the end of this but not at the expense of form.

All that being said - and this goes completely against everything i've said but 7:04, 7:10, 7:24, 7:15, 7:00, 6:55, 7:00 looks pretty damn consistent to me........but not at the expense of form ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

7:04, 7:10, 7:24, 7:15, 7:00, 6:55, 7:00 looks pretty damn consistent to me........but not at the expense of form ;)

I did these hill sprints yesterday but I only checked my pacing for the first two reps. Wasn't too far off Eyrie's either. After that, I just tried to match the effort for the remainder of the reps. At the end of each one, I certainly felt like I had given plenty and by the eighth one, I was pretty spent but in a good way!

coogy wrote:
    I did these hill sprints yesterday but I only checked my pacing for the first two reps. Wasn't too far off Eyrie's either. After that, I just tried to match the effort for the remainder of the reps. At the end of each one, I certainly felt like I had given plenty and by the eighth one, I was pretty spent but in a good way!

Sounds about right to me

These hill sessions are tricky and they took me a few goes to get right. Firstly, I believe the idea behind this session i.e the addition of the hill allows people to do speedwork and minimise the risk of injury. If I was to do a 45s speed session on the flat i'd be looking to go much much quicker than I do on the hill. What the hill essentially forces me to do is get the same (more) gains but at a slower pace and hence less risk of completely straining myself.

There is a conditioning element to the session too in that you are forcing muscles to do work on the hill that you normally wouldnt on the flat.

So don't worry about paces for this. I can honestly say Ive never checked my watch for pace doing this session. Don't bother. It's a waste of time and pulls your focus away from what you should be focusing on which is.......

1. Driving up the hill, pumping the arms, lifting those knees, good solid form.
    2. If you start straining or your form is collapsing you're defeating the purpose of it.
    3. Yes your lungs should be on fire at the top of the hill. That's normal. As time goes on and you do more of these you'll see that you start to feel worse progressively later in the session. You'll also start to see that the recovery improves i.e. you'll feel better at the bottom of the hill as time goes on.

Set yourself a marker on the first one and try to get to that marker on each subsequent rep. If you go all out on the first one and find that you've set yourself an unachievable target then set a new target after the second or third one. No point trying to strain to reach that over achieved first marker!

This session is great. I can honestly say after having a few of them included last Summer I felt more springy, strong, posture improved when running.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Be patient. And don't get me wrong either. You should feel fairly bucked at the end of this but not at the expense of form.

All that being said - and this goes completely against everything i've said but 7:04, 7:10, 7:24, 7:15, 7:00, 6:55, 7:00 looks pretty damn consistent to me........but not at the expense of form ;)

Hmmm, ok, I'm thinking about everything you said here and maybe it wasn't such a disaster of a session. I honestly don't think my form went at any stage, it was just hard. But from what you're saying maybe hard is ok. I think I got the hang of it for the last 3, so probably that's more like where I should have been aiming throughout. There'd be no checking the watch during these either - I'm not coordinated enough to be looking at my watch while trying to run uphill fast!
    Hah now you've got me wondering if I'm working hard enough on my other sessions... :rolleyes:
    Haha. To explain what I meant on Strava - I tend to save my advice for Boards coz we are all here trying to learn from eachother. If I start commenting on ye're Strava runs then your non Boards friends will think who the hell does this guy think he is. Plus theres always more detail in the logs than on Strava.
    Ha I know. And I appreciate the advice! The only thing more fun than running is thinking/pondering/talking about running :D

eyrie wrote:
    Hmmm, ok, I'm thinking about everything you said here and maybe it wasn't such a disaster of a session. I honestly don't think my form went at any stage, it was just hard. But from what you're saying maybe hard is ok. I think I got the hang of it for the last 3, so probably that's more like where I should have been aiming throughout. There'd be no checking the watch during these either - I'm not coordinated enough to be looking at my watch while trying to run uphill fast! Hah now you've got me wondering if I'm working hard enough on my other sessions...

Haha. Not all sessions are created equal. The hill session is the one session where I have very little left at the end. It should be hard. Most of my other sessions are pretty controlled. I'm not hammering sessions. But everyone is different. Very few of Luke's plans will have you hammering sessions. So your other sessions are probably pretty good. I'll have to keep a closer eye from now on. Haha.

For reference I know I said ignore paces but for my hill I've usually fallen in our around 5k pace for 45s hill intervals. But the effort is much higher.

You're doing great.

Haha. Not all sessions are created equal. The hill session is the one session where I have very little left at the end. It should be hard. Most of my other sessions are pretty controlled. I'm not hammering sessions. But everyone is different. Very few of Luke's plans will have you hammering sessions. So your other sessions are probably pretty good. I'll have to keep a closer eye from now on. Haha.

For reference I know I said ignore paces but for my hill I've usually fallen in our around 5k pace for 45s hill intervals. But the effort is much higher.

You're doing great.
    That's useful actually, thanks P. Important to distinguish between the different types. I would have thought control was important in general but maybe hadn't realised that the hill sessions could be a bit different (and harder).

I'd say I'm looking forward to putting this new knowledge to use in my next hill session, but that would be a total lie :pac:

Grads 5k-10k Plan - Week 3 (part 2)

Thursday - 6 mile runmute @ 10:17, split into two parts.

Friday - 3 miles easy incl 4 strides
    The strides felt brilliant, really need to do this regularly.

Saturday - Parkrun - (tiny) PB! (7 miles total)
    First time going to my local parkrun (only my second parkrun ever :o). The general aim at the moment is to get practice in at getting used to the pain of the 5k. I couldn't find a race that suited so parkrun it was. I planned to go out at close to my PB pace and see how long I could hang on, and if I blew up no problem but easing off or playing safe would be considered a failure as that's the problem I'm trying to overcome.

Brickfields is 4 laps and from the 2nd lap this was tough, and I'm really pleased that I hung in from then to the end. It was hard, and then it was harder :O. From glancing at the watch I knew I wasn't maintaining the pace but the effort was increasing so that's what I wanted really, the time was kind of irrelevant. The one thing I'm pleased with is that even though I knew the chance of a PB was gone I didn't use that as an excuse to ease off.

There was one woman in front of me throughout, too far ahead to catch I thought, but at the final turn I went for it. Thankfully she had headphones in so I don't think she realised. I passed her just before the line and somehow finished first female! Now I'm not kidding myself, I know that was only because there was a small enough turnout, but it's nice all the same.

And somehow it ended up as fractional PB too - 23:18 (5 seconds off my last 5k, last June). Not where I would have wanted to be 8 months after my last one, but given how the last few months have been I'm very happy.

Sunday - 1 hr 45 easy (10.5 miles @ 10:05, 149 HR)
    A late night and few drinks the night before meant this was a bit of a struggle, but it got done. The right hip started to feel niggly towards the end as I got more tired, which I'm interpreting as a definite sign I need to strengthen it.

39 milesfor the week.

Nice 1st F at parkrun :) and a PB!! They all count regardless of how many seconds. I'd say that's a great result given your last few months, and you're only at the start of this plan. Well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Oooh, I hadn't realised it was a PB and first female to boot, too - well done! You didn't even taper.

The effort look scary on Strava - not sure I've ever seen my HR in the anaerobic zone for that long. Something for me to improve upon definitely.

Advertisement