Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earning my go-faster stripes...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭ariana`

So modest on Strava, well done you, PB and first female brilliant stuff, your star is definitely bright... there's a thread on Women's round numbers over on the main page (just sayin' :p;))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Nice 1st F at parkrun :) and a PB!! They all count regardless of how many seconds. I'd say that's a great result given your last few months, and you're only at the start of this plan. Well done!
    Ha I don't really feel like either the placement of the PB count for much, but sure I'm happy with how it went all the same. Thanks!
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    Oooh, I hadn't realised it was a PB and first female to boot, too - well done! You didn't even taper.

The effort look scary on Strava - not sure I've ever seen my HR in the anaerobic zone for that long. Something for me to improve upon definitely.
    Oh I hadn't really thought about effort zones, must have a closer look. It felt like probably the hardest I've let things get so early on, so hopefully I can do it again! The trouble of course is I finished it never wanting to do another 5k, which is what always happens :pac:
    ariana` wrote: »
    So modest on Strava, well done you, PB and first female brilliant stuff, your star is definitely bright... there's a thread on Women's round numbers over on the main page (just sayin' :p;))
    Ha I love your optimism E, but those round numbers are mind boggling to me! I'd love to hit any of them, but I don't see it happening any time soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I somehow missed this. That is brilliant. Very well done. Seriously cool to come first female and the pb to boot. That is brilliant after the last few months. A nice little boost for you.

Time to play catch up here.

25th Feb - 3rd March
    Grads 5k-10k Plan - Week 4

A stepback week which ended up being a lot more of a stepback than intended :( After Thursday I didn't manage to get out again. The weekend was crazy, various life things got in the way and there was just no opportunity to get out. Three rest days in a row was far from ideal but that's just how it went.

Monday - 25 min recovery (2.25 miles @ 11:09, HR 141)
    Tired, tired legs. Feeling the exertions of the weekend, for sure.

Tuesday - 60 min morning runmute (5.5 miles @ 10:57, HR 142)
    Legs still pretty tired. Bit niggly to boot. Beautiful morning to be out though.

Wednesday - 6 x 2 min AP (7:27 - 7:18), 2:30 jog recovery (5.5 miles)
    Actuals: 7:23, 7:10, 7:19, 7:21, 7:21, 7:18
    First time the shorts got broken out this year! This was fun, I really like these short intervals. Shortened the recoveries a fraction as they seemed long.

Thursday - Easy runmute (6.3 miles @ 10:40, 145 HR)

A pathetic 19.6 miles for the week. Oy...

February total: 150 miles

4th - 10th March
    Grads 5k-10k Plan Week 5

Monday - 60 min runmute (5.7 miles @ 10:24, HR 150)
    Lovely and bright at 7am now, spring is in the air (despite yesterday's snow...). Great runmute - it's amazing how much energy too many days rest will give you!

Tuesday - 8 x 1 min hills (messed the first one up, then 7:07, 7:14, 7:21, 7:28, 7:15, 7:11, 7:15)
    Finally, one of these that worked. Actually really enjoyed it, which I wouldn't have thought possible after the last one. A better choice of hill this time made all the difference (Phoenix Park). Focused on form and felt very controlled throughout. Increased the effort for the last 3 and loved it.
    7.7 miles altogether, plus yoga after

Wednesday - 60 min easy (6 miles @ 9:57, HR 148)
    Lunchtime out through Ringsend along the seafront. Wind made the way back a bit of a slog.

Thursday - Rest

Friday - 15 tempo (8:28), 4 recovery, 10 threshold (7:56).
    Nice and steady, felt good.

Saturday - 1 hr 45 easy (10.7 miles @ 10:01, HR 145)
    A gorgeous run. Headed out in the early evening and it was the last thing I felt like doing, but as soon as I started it perked me right up. Felt like I could have kept going for ages, which is the first time I've felt that on a long run since before the lay off.

Sunday - Recovery 3 @ 10:44, HR 144
    Kept thinking of a comment I read on boards recently, that a recovery run should leave you feeling better than when you started. Really went with that and this was pure recovery, which I now realise is probably not normally the case. A lovely run.

40 miles for the week

Edited to add: Forgot to mention I signed up for the MSB 5k on a whim during the week, which it seems lots of boardsies are doing. Should be fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

eyrie wrote: »
    Tuesday - 8 x 1 min hills (messed the first one up, then 7:07, 7:14, 7:21, 7:28, 7:15, 7:11, 7:15)

'practised the first one'

Edited to add: Forgot to mention I signed up for the MSB 5k on a whim during the week, which it seems lots of boardsies are doing. Should be fun!

With you in spirit - this was my fisrt 5k race, would love to be there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Might see you there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck in the morning, run well!!

I haven't written my race report from yesterday yet but I'll start by getting last week's recap up in the meantime.

11th - 17th March

Monday - 50 min easy (5.2 miles @ 10:10, HR 143)

Tuesday - 5 x 5 min CV
    Paces: 7:35, 8:01, 7:37, 7:55, 7:38
    Had to get this done in the morning before work. The wind made reps 2 and 4 tougher and slower than they should have been, but no doubt it helped on the other 3 so can't complain. Despite the difference in paces I think the effort was pretty even actually. Shortened the recoveries from 4 mins to 3 as I was short on time and 3 mins felt like plenty. Stiff knees later in the day strangely...

Wednesday - 5 easy on the treadmill @ 10:09 pace, HR 139

Thursday - Rest

Friday - 10 miles incl. 4 x 6 min Threshold (2 min recovery).
    Threshold interval paces: 8:08. 8:00, 8:11, 8:08.
    Rolled the session and long run into one to allow for a day's rest before the MSB 5k on Monday (thanks to Huzzah! for the suggestion, as I was trying to figure out how to fit it all in). I was a bit worried I'd be pushing things with this but I felt really energetic after it. The threshold reps were a fraction slower than usual but not much and it was very windy so again I tried to hit the right effort rather than pace.

Saturday - 4.5 very easy miles @ 10:18, HR 143

Sunday - Rest. Planned a short shakeout but it didn't happen. Just the one Paddy's day beer in honour of the race the next day :rolleyes:

31.5 miles for the week, slightly on the low side but didn't want to overdo it before Monday's race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

*cough* race report *cough*

:D

I hadn't realised eyrie is a word until I came across it in a book at the weekend. Clever username :)

• Advertisement

*cough* race report *cough*

:D

I hadn't realised eyrie is a word until I came across it in a book at the weekend. Clever username :)
    Ha! What was the book? I don't know about clever, just liked the word!

Like a few others who've written reports on this, my motivation was very low for this one as the race approached. Who signs up for a race the day after Paddy's day?? But sign up we had (S was doing it with me) so despite the lack of enthusiasm we set off jogging to the start line for a warm up. It's the first time I've been able to do this and it was a lovely way to start it off. Quick stop into the Mansion House to drop off our bag (and check out the fanciest pre-race toilets ever) and back out to the start line we went. We were there a bit early and ended up lining up too close to the front.

I had no plan or target for this one, and it wasn't a goal race by any means. Didn't taper apart from moving my long run forward and taking the weekend easy. I figured I'd take it as it came and might end up somewhere close to the parkrun from a few weeks ago.

The start
    Took off much too quickly without realising it, but probably just got caught up being surrounded by quicker runners. I saw 6:30 on my watch a few hundred metres in. Uh oh. 7:30 would have been more like it. But my watch hadn't locked onto GPS in time for the start so I couldn't trust the pace on it. So I decided to ignore it. In hindsight I'm glad this happened as it forced me to race without knowing what my pace was or being influenced by the watch. I glanced when it beeped for the first mile (6:58), but hadn't a clue if that was actually a mile or not so it didn't mean much.

Onwards
    All the turns on the course made for good distractions and stopped it feeling too long, at least for the first half. After that the special 5K misery kicked in and not even an interesting route could help! I was getting passed more than I think usually happens, which makes sense given the too-fast start. The legs started to feel lethargic from very early on and I didn't feel I could muster much energy to push on. I was slowing, but then I was never going to maintain the pace of the first mile. The stretch along the canal towards Leeson St bridge, into the wind and with a tiny drag that felt huge, was a real struggle. When I finally turned the corner and got a break from it I let myself slow down for a tiny recovery, which I'm not proud of but I really felt like I had no energy.

It hurts
    Turning off Leeson St back towards Fitzwilliam Square I knew it was getting into the final stages but I couldn't pick up the pace. I was just willing Stephen's Green to reappear and the finish line with it. Passed a Donore woman who had been in front of me for a while and getting very enthusiastic shouts from a guy spectating. Finally we were onto the Green. Now's the time to push on I thought, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. When we rounded the corner to the final stretch and the gantry was in sight (further away than I hoped!) I made mysef pick it up a tiny bit and passed a woman who was just in front. It obviously spurred her on and she passed me right back. I stayed close to her till the line but had zero enthusiasm to try and catch her. I think it's the first race I've done where I had no kick whatsoever at the end. Crossed the line buckled but astonished at the time on my watch.

Chip time: 22:27 (PB)
    Splits: 6:58, 7:15, 7:23 (6:56 pace for the last 0.1)

One of my goals for 2019 was a sub-23 5k (PB was 23:23 coming into the year) and I thought it would take a lot longer. So, a funny one. Obviously a poorly run race (started too fast, got slower each mile, felt very flat throughout) but a result far, far beyond what I ever expected. To be honest, had I not started way too fast I don't think that would ever have happened. Most likely I would have been cautious and conservative, and if I managed a PB at all it would likely have been small. But I think not being able to trust the watch was good. And in fact when I did start looking at it around the last km or so I think I let myself ease off, or at least not push harder.

I realise this probably sounds like a bit of a negative report and it's a weird one really. I think I ran it pretty badly but I'm over the moon with my time, so.... I dunno? I felt I didn't push enough, but how much of that was down to overdoing it at the start and just running out of steam?

A really nice race, regardless, and one I will definitely do again. Thanks to MSB. I'm sorry I didn't get to catch up with any boardsies either. I spotted both skyblue and Wubble Wubble in the distance at different points, but didn't find them again. Celebratory pint that afternoon was greatly enjoyed, although I was wiped after one, pathetic!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

One pint, running has turned you into a wuss!!! Well done on the PB, regardless how you ran it, it’s a great run. Plenty more to come off that me thinks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

As B says there is lots to come off that time too! A great run after the enthusiastic start and a really well deserved PB.

On Tuesday morning I wished I could have stopped at one post race pint...I dare not put on a public forum the amount more than that I had :o

eyrie wrote:
    Ha! What was the book? I don't know about clever, just liked the word!

Wasn't a great book tbh, I get a subscription box each month of a book and chocolate (is there any better combo) and it was a random one from that...

Interesting report. Suppose you (and a lot of us) are still new enough at this running lark that races can surprise us and throw us off what we think we're able for. Yeah you got slower, but not by a dreadful amount ? I remember one 5k I did with a sub7 first mile but my second was 8+ :) now THAT'S poor pacing.
    Excited to see what 5k PB you end 2019 with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

That was a great read for many reasons. I have plenty of (good) comments but I'll let you bask in the glory for a while before turning it into an analysis of 5k racing. Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

That was a great performance. Some of my favourite races are ones where I was flying towards the end, overtaking people for fun, but my best times have been when I've gone out fast and spent the final third just willing it to be over. Finding the right balance is tricky, particularly at 5k, but it seems you've learned a lot from this race, and smashing your PB should give you great belief going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Wasn't a great book tbh, I get a subscription box each month of a book and chocolate (is there any better combo) and it was a random one from that...

Where can I sign up for this - sounds MARVELOUS!

Me too!
    Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    That was a great performance. Some of my favourite races are ones where I was flying towards the end, overtaking people for fun, but my best times have been when I've gone out fast and spent the final third just willing it to be over. Finding the right balance is tricky, particularly at 5k, but it seems you've learned a lot from this race, and smashing your PB should give you great belief going forward.

Yep - I almost miss the old Johnstown parkrun for this reason - GPS was about as useful as a chocolate teapot, so I'd have to run by feel, usually going out too fast and clinging on for dear life, but nearly always surprising myself in the process.

Well done, eyrie, that's a cracking result. I don't even feel like you paced it badly at all. The wind was brutal on the 4th KM; I'd say it was everyone's slowest split. Congrats on the PB :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well now you know why there was no kick at the end! Well done, sounds like you got yourself into a race there.

OOnegative wrote: »
    One pint, running has turned you into a wuss!!! Well done on the PB, regardless how you ran it, it’s a great run. Plenty more to come off that me thinks!!
    Ha, I know I should be ashamed! In fairness I'm useless at day drinking at the best of times :o Managed a bit better after DCM but Monday was a poor show alright. Must try harder next time! :P
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    As B says there is lots to come off that time too! A great run after the enthusiastic start and a really well deserved PB.

On Tuesday morning I wished I could have stopped at one post race pint...I dare not put on a public forum the amount more than that I had :o
    Ha, S made a comment to me after the race about looking out for you to go for pints with, I think you impressed him in McGrattan's with your craft beer enthusiasm and he reckoned (rightly, obviously) you'd be a better drinking buddy than me. :pac:

Interesting report. Suppose you (and a lot of us) are still new enough at this running lark that races can surprise us and throw us off what we think we're able for. Yeah you got slower, but not by a dreadful amount ? I remember one 5k I did with a sub7 first mile but my second was 8+ :) now THAT'S poor pacing.
    Book and chocolate, you say? Delivered to your door?? Basically the dream right there.
    Ah thanks V, yeah I don't regret it at all, it was definitely good to experience a different approach even if it was accidental. Not sure what strategy I'd adopt next time now.
    Excited to see what 5k PB you end 2019 with smile.png
    Right back at you. ;) Jingle Bells 2019 for a joint effort??
    That was a great read for many reasons. I have plenty of (good) comments but I'll let you bask in the glory for a while before turning it into an analysis of 5k racing. Haha
    Oh bring it on! Always here to learn :p Thanks P
    Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    It's a funny one isn't it? Hard to know exactly what to aim for, and then even if you decide correctly, actually following through on it is probably a very different story. Plenty of reason for us to keep racing and trying things out so!
    Well done, eyrie, that's a cracking result. I don't even feel like you paced it badly at all. The wind was brutal on the 4th KM; I'd say it was everyone's slowest split. Congrats on the PB :)
    Thanks very much E. Being honest there was no conscious pacing whatsoever, but I'm delighted with the result so certainly can't complain. Have you decided what's next for you?
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Well now you know why there was no kick at the end! Well done, sounds like you got yourself into a race there.
    Thanks D! In hindsight I'm starting to think I enjoyed it, but who am I kidding...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Fair play, that's a serious chunk off, especially for a 5k!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭ariana`

Who knew such a thing existed, sounds fab! It'd make a lovely present for the right person too.

Eyrie congrats on a super performance and result. It's great to get such a result off a race that wasn't even a target race. Enjoy the moment :)

Where can I sign up for this - sounds MARVELOUS!
    Book and chocolate, you say? Delivered to your door?? Basically the dream right there.
    ariana` wrote: »
    Who knew such a thing existed, sounds fab! It'd make a lovely present for the right person too.

Ha, it has the very inventive name of chocolateandbook :) You select the genre book you want (I chose Hidden Gem) and you also get a hot drink (usually hot choc sachets) and a cute little bookmark. I've gotten some really good books from it (and some duds) that I never would have come across otherwise!

Anyway, back to the running, yes maybe Jingle Bells but I'd be shocked if I was going for the same goal as you eyrie, you're storming ahead :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

eyrie wrote:
    my motivation was very low for this one as the race approached. Who signs up for a race the day after Paddy's day?? But sign up we had (S was doing it with me) so despite the lack of enthusiasm we set off jogging to the start line for a warm up.

eyrie wrote:
    I had no plan or target for this one, and it wasn't a goal race by any means. Didn't taper apart from moving my long run forward and taking the weekend easy. I figured I'd take it as it came and might end up somewhere close to the parkrun from a few weeks ago.

eyrie wrote:
    So I decided to ignore it. In hindsight I'm glad this happened as it forced me to race without knowing what my pace was or being influenced by the watch.
    eyrie wrote:
    I made mysef pick it up a tiny bit and passed a woman who was just in front.

Crossed the line buckled but astonished at the time on my watch.

eyrie wrote:
    Obviously a poorly run race (started too fast, got slower each mile, felt very flat throughout) but a result far, far beyond what I ever expected. To be honest, had I not started way too fast I don't think that would ever have happened. Most likely I would have been cautious and conservative, and if I managed a PB at all it would likely have been small. But I think not being able to trust the watch was good. And in fact when I did start looking at it around the last km or so I think I let myself ease off, or at least not push harder.

eyrie wrote:
    I think I ran it pretty badly but I'm over the moon with my time, so.... I dunno? I felt I didn't push enough, but how much of that was down to overdoing it at the start and just running out of steam?

I quoted the above comments coz they are what jumped out at me the most. Not sure where to start here. Haha.

Firstly well done on a super race. You've done quite a bit of analysis on it and there are some important take aways here.

1. Isn't it funny how the one day that you didn't feel particularly great and motivation was low was the one day you blew it out of the water. Amazing what we can achieve when we completely remove the pressure of big target races isn't it ;). I've seen it a lot with people and myself included. The more you get anxious about a race the more you hinder your chances of success. As my wise old coach once said - you don't always have to feel great to run a great race. There's a lot to be said for just enjoying the process, forgetting about target races and just going out there and giving it a lash. They won't always be good days but it definitely helps to take the pressure off yourself.
    Its also one of the benefits of shorter stuff. No major taper, give it a go, fail? Go again in a few weeks.

2. You ignored your watch :) This was my favorite part. I think we all rely on our watches a little too much. Sure there is a place for them, in training when we are learning what a certain pace feels like in terms of effort and probably in longer races more useful. In a 5k I just think it's better to go on feel. If you go out too quick in a 5k you get feedback from your body very quickly of it can't handle it. It's not as unforgiving as the marathon where you have to wait 20 miles before finding out "oops I went 5s per mile too quick" and your legs turn to jelly. Theres a lot more room for taking risks in the shorter stuff. You did. Delighted to see it. Use the watch as a tool when you need it but don't be controlled by it. A watch will talk you out of these special performances.

3. Those little battles are what drag you to the finish line. And there's no nicer feeling than being astonished by a time at the end. I've only ever had that feeling twice. Also being absolutely spent at the end of the 5k is the way to be.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - never look at your watch in the last km of a 5k especially! It has nothing good to tell you. By then it's all about making it to the line as fast as you can. The watch will either tell you you're going "too slow" which is heartbreaking or "too fast" which will inevitably allow your brain to talk you into slowing down.

4. Despite what you think I don't think you ran it poorly. Some days are for going out quick and hanging on. Some days are for building into a race. There's no such thing as failure when you try something new. Because you'll learn something and that's what's great about 5k. You can try ten different things in ten different races in the space of a few months. Very little taper, very little recovery. Practically a really tough session. My 5k pb is a big positive split. First mile 5.30, last mile 5.50. I tried hanging on that day and failed but got a pb.

Keep trying things and taking risks. It's why we do this running craic. Nothing to lose. It's just one end of a road to the other end with 5000 metres in between and a bunch of people putting one foot in front of the other. Nothing more than that!

Well done! Deadly stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Sake P, how is anyone supposed to follow that post?

C, congratulations on the PB. Great going and you smashed your sub 23 for the year. Brilliant.

Oh, did you race in the club singlet actually?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I dare not put on a public forum the amount more than that I had :o

Do you could represent it in the form of a percentage compared to your usual intake? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

A really nice race, regardless, and one I will definitely do again.

Well done on this!!

Sounds like a fun event, will definitely consider this next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

:DI’ve only just read your report. Really well done. I think you did great and did you the world of good not having the watch to tell you what you were at as such. I think a lot of those shorter races are about going out fast and hanging on - my unexpected parkrun pb was exactly that too and unplanned pacing. It shows you what you are capable of - you next goal can be to start off that pace and do it for longer and eventually the whole 5km ;) That gives you a time of 21:38 for Jingle Bells!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Kellygirl wrote: »
    :DI’ve only just read your report. Really well done. I think you did great and did you the world of good not having the watch to tell you what you were at as such. I think a lot of those shorter races are about going out fast and hanging on - my unexpected parkrun pb was exactly that too and unplanned pacing. It shows you what you are capable of - you next goal can be to start off that pace and do it for longer and eventually the whole 5km ;) That gives you a time of 21:38 for Jingle Bells!!

I'd venture to say 21:38 will be beaten before Jingle Bells comes around! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Smashing job eyrie, Well done. Well done on managing the pint at the end....that's something you can practice too :pac:

Advertisement