Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earning my go-faster stripes...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Base Building Week 6: 5th - 11th August

MON | 60 mins easy (10:35 pace, HR 148 avg)
    If only every week started with a bank holiday :D Took advantage of the extra time and did some yoga too.

TUE | 65 mins moderate @ 9:19 avg pace, + short w/u and c/d
    Did this before work and really enjoyed it.

WED | 60 mins easy (10:26 pace, HR 146 avg)
    Standard stuff and felt good though weirdly the first and last miles came out much slower than the rest, though I didn't feel like I was going slower at the time.

THUR | 50 mins easy/recovery (11:02 pace, HR 141 avg)
    Got out for a slow shuffle before work. Out the previous night and very sleepy for this as a result. I don't think it was quite as slow as Garmin says all the same, GPS was off a bit.

FRI | 45 mins easy + 5 min tempo (8:20) + c/d.
    More yoga later in the evening as the legs were feeling a bit meh.

SAT | 2 hrs easy (10:06 pace, forgot the HR strap)
    A world away from last week's long run, which was a real slog. This felt great from start to finish. Headed out along the seafront to Bull Island and back for a change. Mad windy but lovely nonetheless.

Sunday was a rest day and that's it for base building!

Total: 43 miles for the week.

I really enjoyed the base plan once again, and definitely feel the better for it now. Ready to add some speed training in and see what happens, and start eyeing up a few races to target. I've been thinking back to the plan to join a club too which never really got off the ground at the start of the year. I'd like to give it another try, possibly a different club this time, but this probably isn't the best time of year to start off. Might do some looking around in preparation for post-DCM/the new year though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

eyrie wrote: »

I really enjoyed the base plan once again, and definitely feel the better for it now. Ready to add some speed training in and see what happens, and start eyeing up a few races to target. I've been thinking back to the plan to join a club too which never really got off the ground at the start of the year. I'd like to give it another try, possibly a different club this time, but this probably isn't the best time of year to start off. Might do some looking around in preparation for post-DCM/the new year though!

What plan, if any, are you following now? Signed up for anything yet :)

ReeReeG wrote: »
    What plan, if any, are you following now? Signed up for anything yet :)
    I'm following the ideas from this article more so than a proper plan really! https://www.runnersworld.com/advanced/a20806851/solving-the-5k-puzzle/
    I'm attempting to translate it into a very organised spreadsheet at the moment :p

Haven't signed up for anything, but there's a couple of 5ks coming up that I'm arguing with myself about doing alright. I'll try and do Rathfarnham at the end of September anyway but I'll probably do one in the next few weeks too.

I'm following the ideas from this article more so than a proper plan really! https://www.runnersworld.com/advanced/a20806851/solving-the-5k-puzzle/
    I'm attempting to translate it into a very organised spreadsheet at the moment :p

Haven't signed up for anything, but there's a couple of 5ks coming up that I'm arguing with myself about doing alright. I'll try and do Rathfarnham at the end of September anyway but I'll probably do one in the next few weeks too.

Very interesting article, and it looks like the grounds upon which the grads 5k-10k plan is built? Nice to understand it a little better now :pac:

Sounds good, will certainly be following with interest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I've read that article before but it's good to read again as I'm becoming more and more won over by time-based training.

I did find this funny, though:

"If you're unsure whether you're running 5K effort, try this simple test: As you're running, ask yourself, "Is this an effort I can maintain for an entire 5K?" Be honest. If the answer is yes, keep up the effort. If it's no, slow down."

Maybe I'm the only one never feels like I could maintain x race effort in races during sessions.

• Advertisement

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Very interesting article, and it looks like the grounds upon which the grads 5k-10k plan is built? Nice to understand it a little better now pacman.gif
    Yep, it is as far as I know! So in many ways I should just follow that plan again but I just felt like mixing it up a bit really pacman.gif
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    I've read that article before but it's good to read again as I'm becoming more and more won over by time-based training.

I did find this funny, though:

"If you're unsure whether you're running 5K effort, try this simple test: As you're running, ask yourself, "Is this an effort I can maintain for an entire 5K?" Be honest. If the answer is yes, keep up the effort. If it's no, slow down."

Maybe I'm the only one never feels like I could maintain x race effort in races during sessions.
    Ha, yes I had the same thought at that sentence to be honest. Like if a 5 minute interval feels challenging, twenty something mins can hardly be possible... So I never know how to really judge these things. Maybe he's suggesting we should be using a much easier effort in training, I'm not sure? Not sure I'm ready to go that radical... Although I did listen to a podcast interview with him recently and he did make it sound like training should never be crazy tough. It's so hard to judge precisely what that means though. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭ariana`

Yep, it is as far as I know! So in many ways I should just follow that plan again but I just felt like mixing it up a bit really pacman.gif

That's a great article, definitely one to go back and read occasionally. I think it's both brave and exciting to be planning you're own training, I've a feeling you'll do a great job of it, i'm looking forward to following your progress.

ariana` wrote: »
    That's a great article, definitely one to go back and read occasionally. I think it's both brave and exciting to be planning you're own training, I've a feeling you'll do a great job of it, i'm looking forward to following your progress.
    Ha thanks ariana but before you go giving me too many compliments there's basically a plan in that article, I'm not coming up with anything myself here! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Ha thanks ariana but before you go giving me too many compliments there's basically a plan in that article, I'm not coming up with anything myself here! :pac:

Aw $hite! I was really looking forward to seeing you design a training plan! After Meno, Boards and Grads plans I thought there was a new kid on the block! ;-)

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Aw $hite! I was really looking forward to seeing you design a training plan! After Meno, Boards and Grads plans I thought there was a new kid on the block! ;-)
    Lol, the "what not to do" plan?? I could see it taking the world by storm alright :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Lol, the "what not to do" plan?? I could see it taking the world by storm alright :p

The opposite is true I think, have often felt I should just take your schedule for last year's DCM and follow that. A *shining* example.

(Know it wasn't self-created but it was executed to perfection for a lovely result)

The opposite is true I think, have often felt I should just take your schedule for last year's DCM and follow that. A *shining* example.

(Know it wasn't self-created but it was executed to perfection for a lovely result)
    That's really nice of you to say M, but I can't take any credit. I was so lucky and I had more or less a dream first marathon to be honest, but I followed an excellent plan and there's no way it would have worked out so well if not for the great advice I got from people here, particularly about taking the first 10k super slowly!

5k Training Week 1: 12th - 18th August

MON | 10 x 1 min @ 5k effort / 2 min recoveries (6 miles total)
    First run of the new plan! Tired enough getting out to do this before work but excited to start the plan. A couple of miles warm up and then into the intervals which were all done by effort. Paces varied a lot but with such short reps I won't take much from that anyway.
    15 mins resistance band glute stuff in the evening.

TUE | 60 mins easy (10:27 avg pace, HR 142 avg)
    A morning run again, very peaceful out.

WED | 75 mins easy as a runmute (10:35 pace, HR 145 avg)
    Ran home with the backpack on. Tired enough for this.

THUR | Drills, Hills and Strides (6.25 miles @10:25 avg)
    Hunted out a quiet corner of the nearby park because I knew I'd look like a lunatic doing some of the drills, but it was fun to be honest! A bit like being a kid again. Did some strides before and in between each drill, and 4 short (6-8s) hill sprints after. Big thanks to Kellygirl and Huzzah! for passing on info on drills to me as I hadn't a clue what to do.
    15 mins Kettlebell exercises afterwards.

FRI | 60 mins easy (10:25 pace, HR 148 avg)
    Bit of a slog and effort a bit high for easy but it felt really humid. Passed 1000 miles for the year! Only 2 weeks later than last year, which I'm pretty surprised at considering how interrupted this year has been.

SAT | 2 hours - "Long run with hills" (10:09 pace, HR 152 avg)
    The new plan calls for hills in the long run every second week. I went to the Phoenix Park and did my usual route around the S bends and up the Upper Glen. Not sure if that counts as hilly enough?

SUN | Rest

Total: 43 miles

So, first week of the new plan and all went well. It's strange having the session done by breakfast time on Monday, but psychologically it felt like the hard work was out of the way early, particular as the second so-called session was only drills for this week. Having an easy day before the long run is new for me too. The way it's spread out made it all feel very easy, but I'm under no illusions it'll stay that way as the sessions get tougher. We'll see what happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

5k Training Week 1: 12th - 18th August

MON | 10 x 1 min @ 5k effort / 2 min recoveries (6 miles total)
    First run of the new plan! Tired enough getting out to do this before work but excited to start the plan. A couple of miles warm up and then into the intervals which were all done by effort. Paces varied a lot but with such short reps I won't take much from that anyway.
    15 mins resistance band glute stuff in the evening.

TUE | 60 mins easy (10:27 avg pace, HR 142 avg)
    A morning run again, very peaceful out.

WED | 75 mins easy as a runmute (10:35 pace, HR 145 avg)
    Ran home with the backpack on. Tired enough for this.

THUR | Drills, Hills and Strides (6.25 miles @10:25 avg)
    Hunted out a quiet corner of the nearby park because I knew I'd look like a lunatic doing some of the drills, but it was fun to be honest! A bit like being a kid again. Did some strides before and in between each drill, and 4 short (6-8s) hill sprints after. Big thanks to Kellygirl and Huzzah! for passing on info on drills to me as I hadn't a clue what to do.
    15 mins Kettlebell exercises afterwards.

FRI | 60 mins easy (10:25 pace, HR 148 avg)
    Bit of a slog and effort a bit high for easy but it felt really humid. Passed 1000 miles for the year! Only 2 weeks later than last year, which I'm pretty surprised at considering how interrupted this year has been.

SAT | 2 hours - "Long run with hills" (10:09 pace, HR 152 avg)
    The new plan calls for hills in the long run every second week. I went to the Phoenix Park and did my usual route around the S bends and up the Upper Glen. Not sure if that counts as hilly enough?

SUN | Rest

Total: 43 miles

So, first week of the new plan and all went well. It's strange having the session done by breakfast time on Monday, but psychologically it felt like the hard work was out of the way early, particular as the second so-called session was only drills for this week. Having an easy day before the long run is new for me too. The way it's spread out made it all feel very easy, but I'm under no illusions it'll stay that way as the sessions get tougher. We'll see what happens!

I'd notice you were turning into a morning person lately, alright ;)

I'm no expert but I'd say the PP is about as hilly as you'll get in Dublin. I've been comparing elevation gains on my own runs and I've noticed that runs done in the PP seem to have a decent amount of elevation gain in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well done on the drills. You’ll get more used to them. I did them in complete public this morning. When I was cooling down after a long run the other day I noticed a guy doing some drills near by and I thought he looked great. His lateral lunges looked particularly good. I’d say I could look slightly ridiculous but I was a lot less bothered this morning and just got on with it. I do think they help for the fast stuff.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    I'd notice you were turning into a morning person lately, alright ;)
    Oh I don't think I could ever be described as a morning person (I wish!) but it is satisfying getting a few runs out of the way before the day really starts. I don't see it continuing into the winter!
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    Well done on the drills. You’ll get more used to them. I did them in complete public this morning. When I was cooling down after a long run the other day I noticed a guy doing some drills near by and I thought he looked great. His lateral lunges looked particularly good. I’d say I could look slightly ridiculous but I was a lot less bothered this morning and just got on with it. I do think they help for the fast stuff.
    You're brave! Although you're dead right, nothing to be bothered about frankly. I was just afraid for the first time trying them that I'd trip myself up or something ridiculous - I'm not the most coordinated shall we say :o

Oh I don't think I could ever be described as a morning person (I wish!) but it is satisfying getting a few runs out of the way before the day really starts. I don't see it continuing into the winter!

You're brave! Although you're dead right, nothing to be bothered about frankly. I was just afraid for the first time trying them that I'd trip myself up or something ridiculous - I'm not the most coordinated shall we say :o

Well in my over exuberance the other day I’m left with DOMs so take the drills handy! Not ideal race prep to be unable to walk properly :confused:

Well in my over exuberance the other day I’m left with DOMs so take the drills handy! Not ideal race prep to be unable to walk properly :confused:
    Nice to see the DOMS didn't slow you down in the end ;)

5k Training Week 2: 19th - 25th August

This was always going to be a messy week as I had a friend I haven't seen for years coming to stay for the weekend, so disappearing off out to run was not on the cards. I figured I'd get whatever I could squeezed in between Monday and Friday and leave it at that.

MON | 5 x 2 min @ 5k effort / 3 min recoveries (6.2 miles total)
    I was kind of nervous before this for some reason but it was a gem of a run in the end. Up early (for me) to get it in before work but it never felt tough at all, I really like doing these by effort. Paces were a mixed bag as the 2nd and 4th were into the wind, and I started late on the 4th too so it was slower - 7:13, 7:34, 7:24, 7:40, 7:10. Tried not to go for too much and just keep it controlled, think I managed that. Hopefully these will get a bit quicker over the next while.

TUE | 60 mins easy (10:21 avg pace, HR 142 avg)
    Out before work again, tired enough but kept everything easy.

WED | 60 mins easy (10:18 pace, HR 138 avg)
    Nearly skipped this as I was feeling a bit crap but glad I didn't as it ended up being a lovely and relaxing run, felt much better after it. Funny how that happens.

THUR | 8 x 30 sec hills, 4 min walk/jog recovery (5.5 miles)
    A morning session again, and I wasn't sure if the lack of coffee/food would make these tough. The reps themselves were actually grand, i.e. tough but in the right kind of way plus nice and short, but the waiting around for a full 4 mins in between each was a killer. Meant I only had time for 5.5 miles before I had to get back and get ready for work.

FRI | 2 hours easy (9:55 pace, HR 149 avg)
    Did the long run a day early as I knew I wouldn't get a chance to run once my friend arrived for the weekend. Went for an out-and-back route along the canal path and met a horse out for a stroll on its own too, just wandering along the path as you do!

No opportunity to run on Saturday or Sunday, but several late nights and much drinking :o Lots of amazing runs and PBs from boardsies over the weekend, great stuff.

Total: 35.75 miles

Laughing at your equine encounter! I hate those hill repeats too with the hanging round in between. Boring as sin.

Looking forward to seeing how you do with this training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Laughing at your equine encounter! I hate those hill repeats too with the hanging round in between. Boring as sin.

I must say I have generally found sinning to be a hugely enjoyable experience :pac:

Thanks K! I feel like I'm following in your footsteps a bit so far on this plan - between the drills and the long breaks between the hill repeats it seems similar to some of what you've been doing. If it works half as well for me as yours seems to be working for you I'll be happy! :)

Awe thanks a mill.

I changed the plan around this week to fit in the BHAA Pfizer 5k on Wednesday evening, so I let that take the place of the 5k-pace session that would have been on Monday.

Monday 26th August - 60 mins easy incl 6 x strides (10:33 pace, HR 138 avg)
    Fairly tired after a heavy weekend but the strides felt good.

Tuesday 27th - 60 mins easy (9:55 pace, HR 142 avg)
    Much more energy than the previous day, hoped it would carry over to the next day too!

Wednesday 28th - BHAA Pfizer 5k Race Report
    I signed up for this purely because one of my main goals this year was to race more and try and get a bit more used to the pain of 5k races in particular. I've only completed two weeks of the 5k training plan so I figured it might be useful as a benchmark for training, but that was about it. The parkrun from a month ago was tough going to get 23:53 and I thought for tonight if I got a bit under that, say 23:30 ish, I'd be happy that things were starting to turn around.

On the day itself I was looking for just about any excuse not to go. I almost had a perfect one when I realised I'd forgotten my sports bra but in the end a crafty solution involving a regular one and some string sort of did the trick. :o To be honest, only for having to explain it here I think I would have just backed out. In the end I very nearly missed the race due to being stuck in traffic, but I got there 15 mins before the start time, picked up my number and did a short warm up.

Lined up and we were off. It was a beautiful evening for it. I had been kind of dreading the race in the last couple of days but I think between the clothing mishap and then almost missing the start it kind of took the pressure off and once I started moving I found I felt great. Like actually enjoying it, which is weird :D

I had started towards the back and soon was fairly steadily passing people. Glanced at the watch and the pace was a little quicker than I thought it would be, but felt very comfortable. Grand, sure we'll see what happens. The course was three laps around the Pfizer campus, with a few draggy little uphill bits in the first half of each lap, and a nice little downhill in the second half. Finished the first lap still feeling great.
    Mile 1: 7:22.

Into the second lap and just focused on the people in front of me and sort of mentally attaching myself to them until I caught them, then on to the next. Hit the little uphill again and just relaxed and let my legs do the work, the let loose on the downhill. Lap 2 done, still enjoying it. Starting to feel guilty for not feeling worse, that I should have been pushing harder, but also starting to realise that this was going a lot better than planned.
    Mile 2: 7:11.

On to the last lap and still hadn't really hit the 5k pain full on. It was getting tougher though. Up the uphill drag and passed a woman who called after me that I was doing great and to keep going. I told her so was she and we hadn't long to go, it'd be over soon. Passed a grey-haired man shortly after who told me to go for it and catch a guy in a green top up ahead. I told him to come with me, we'd both try. Turning for the downhill and definitely feeling it now but only the downhill plus the extra little bit to the finish to go. Green top was still up ahead but the man behind me passed me here and went after him himself. I gave him a cheer but didn't have the motivation or the energy to go with him, not sure which.
    Mile 3: 7:04

Turned the corner to see the extra little bit towards the finish line. Not too far ahead I thought, just have to hang on another bit! The grey-haired man was well ahead of green top now, who was a decent bit ahead of me. I gave it a push and managed to close the gap a little but didn't get close to catching him, the kick at the end wasn't there.

6:27 pace for the last 0.1 and crossed the finish line fairly sure that I'd somehow PB'd!

The woman I'd passed on the last uphill finished after me and came over to thank me for keeping her going. I told her she was the one who had given me the boost as far as I was concerned. Met the grey-haired man then and had a good chat, he'd been afraid he was going to puke halfway through apparently. Couldn't get over how friendly everyone was, one of the nicest races I've been to in terms of atmosphere.

I couldn't stay for the food afterwards unfortunately but I went for a quick cooldown lap and was joined by Wubble Wubble, who I'd been looking for but hadn't managed to spot. Lovely to chat to him and hear how he got on, including winning a team prize and scoring first for them!

Official time: 22:13 (PB! Previous was 22:27 from MSB 5K in March)
    And first in my category, apparently (thanks to WW for both finding that out for me, and collecting and passing on my prize!)

I'm absolutely delighted with this one to be honest, partly because I enjoyed it so much and partly because I kind of thought the previous sub-23 from March was a mistake or something, so to have done it again and beaten that time is great. I've never felt so strong in a short race before, although I hit a new max HR for it so it's not like I wasn't working, it just didn't feel as bad as normal for whatever reason. Just goes to show it's often the ones you've written off before even starting that end up surprising you.

Amazing time and FIRST PLACING! So so good!! It sounds like you were totally in control for that entire race, well done! Can you give me 5k lessons please?!
    Excited to see where you end up with this plan...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Ah brilliant stuff, delighted for you and huge congratulations on the 1st place. Going from strength to strength, great to see.

Ehhh... I should point out that I think there were about 6 people in my category! Still nice to get a prize and all but I won't exactly be quitting the day job :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Ehhh... I should point out that I think there were about 6 people in my category! Still nice to get a prize and all but I won't exactly be quitting the day job :pac:

Late to the party here. Fantastic result, well done :) and don't knock your podium, it's well earned.

I somehow missed this until now but WOW - very well done. Brilliant race and brilliant time. Nice to get a prize too!!!! That’s a nice benchmark you’ve set now :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Fantastic! Well done, you're making great improvements.

Advertisement