Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earning my go-faster stripes...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

A huge well done. Congrats on your first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Well done on the race ! Sounds enjoyable - especially the category win ! Awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Fantastic pb and category win- well done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

You sound like a regular McGyver with the piece of string! Congrats on the PB, on (kind of) managing to enjoy a 5k race and on the podium position. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Congrats on the PB and the category win. Super stuff. That performance must be a huge confidence booster and motivator for what's ahead. I'll be following your progress on this plan with interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

eyrie wrote: »
    I almost had a perfect one when I realised I'd forgotten my sports bra but in the end a crafty solution involving a regular one and some string sort of did the trick. :o

The mind boggles .... But well done on the engineering.

You shouldn't be able to chat in the 2nd half of a 5k, there were some extra secs to be taken off there I suspect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭ariana`

I changed the plan around this week to fit in the BHAA Pfizer 5k on Wednesday evening, so I let that take the place of the 5k-pace session that would have been on Monday.

Official time: 22:13 (PB! Previous was 22:27 from MSB 5K in March)
    And first in my category, apparently (thanks to WW for both finding that out for me, and collecting and passing on my prize!)

I'm absolutely delighted with this one to be honest, partly because I enjoyed it so much and partly because I kind of thought the previous sub-23 from March was a mistake or something, so to have done it again and beaten that time is great. I've never felt so strong in a short race before, although I hit a new max HR for it so it's not like I wasn't working, it just didn't feel as bad as normal for whatever reason. Just goes to show it's often the ones you've written off before even starting that end up surprising you.

Congrats on the new 5k PB and podium finish too, class! It sounds like the perfect race, a strong confident run. It's lovely to read the details behind the Strava entry. It's a brilliant pb, enjoy it because i'd say it won't last too long :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Congrats on the PB. Great racing, liked the sound of you picking off the competitors one by one, a real boost. And yet you still have the goodwill and energy to encourage those around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Thanks a million to everyone for all the lovely words! It's really appreciated.

Next one is probably going to be the Rathfarnham 5k at the end of September, which I did 3 years ago (as my second ever race) in 26:15 ish. Mostly I remember it for an impressive goodie bag at the end so hopefully that's still the case :D
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    You sound like a regular McGyver with the piece of string!
    The mind boggles .... But well done on the engineering.
    Needs must ;) I'm amazed it worked (and held!) though. Getting out of it later on in the evening was amusing.
    Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Congrats on the PB. Great racing, liked the sound of you picking off the competitors one by one, a real boost. And yet you still have the goodwill and energy to encourage those around you.
    It was honestly such a good-natured race - seemed like everyone was encouraging each other! Definitely made it more enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Thanks a million to everyone for all the lovely words! It's really appreciated.

Next one is probably going to be the Rathfarnham 5k at the end of September, which I did 3 years ago (as my second ever race) in 26:15 ish. Mostly I remember it for an impressive goodie bag at the end so hopefully that's still the case :D

What, no Griffith Avenue Mile? :pac:

Hopefully this time you'll remember Rathfarnham for the PB more than the goodie bag :D I'd be confident for you, as it seems very fast, and you'll have a lot more people around than in Pfizer. I had intended to go last year, but something came up a week or so before, and I'll be away for this year's event. I'll get there eventually sure. Best of luck with the training!

• Advertisement

What, no Griffith Avenue Mile? :pac:

Hopefully this time you'll remember Rathfarnham for the PB more than the goodie bag :D I'd be confident for you, as it seems very fast, and you'll have a lot more people around than in Pfizer. I had intended to go last year, but something came up a week or so before, and I'll be away for this year's event. I'll get there eventually sure. Best of luck with the training!
    Oh no I'm still strongly considering the mile race! I just meant my next 5K would probably be Rathfarnham. Griffith Avenue is the week before but I presume racing a mile a week before a 5k wouldn't be any big deal...? The 5k is definitely the priority, but the idea of a mile race just sounds like fun :pac:

It's been a while... But last Friday I took advantage of the past-participant code email and signed up for DCM 2020 and it's got me feeling all motivated again so here I am! It was brilliant following everyone's achievements on marathon day, particularly so many of my fellow 2018 novices who ran amazingly well.

I won't bother filling in the last two months in detail but in brief it's been all 5k training - running pretty consistently despite not logging. I was following the Pete Magill plan until 2 weeks ago after my last race, and then switched back to Grads 5k-10k plan thinking I might do the Gingerbread 10k this month, only to discover I was too slow and it's sold out. No big deal, I might race a parkrun instead and try for a final 5k in December. Jingle Bells had been the original goal race when I started this training block but it turns out I'm in college all that day so can't run it. There seem to be a few other options that might work though, so I'll decide on one of them soon.

September
    A little over 150 miles for the month, including racing the Rathfarnham 5k which was tougher and slower than expected for a 22:46 finish.

October
    Pretty decent month - 175 miles including the Longwood 5k which I was much happier with than Rathfarnham despite not going much quicker, but it was a lumpy enough route so a better run I think - 22:38.

After totally surprising myself to run 22:13 in the Pfizer 5k in August I'll admit I thought it wouldn't be hard to break the 22 mins with a bit more training, but I haven't got near it and I'm not sure why. Anyway back to logging properly and we'll see what happens from here ;)

28th October - 3rd November

MON | Easy run (6.2 miles @ 10:05 pace, HR 141)
    Away for the bank holiday weekend (missed out on DCM cheering :(). Got an easy run in when we got back in the evening.

TUE | 5 x 3 min AP, 3 min recovery
    There was a strong wind so the pace was a bit all over the place but I think the effort was right. Rep paces: 7:08, 7:42, 7:08, 7:42, 7:13

WED | Easy again (6 miles @ 10:17, HR 140)

THU | Easy (6 miles @ 10:19, HR 138) - Treadmill for this one.

FRI | 2 x 12 min Threshold pace, 4 min jog recovery
    First rep was a bit slow, couldn't quite get into the pace. Second was quicker and somehow felt easier. Haven't done one of these in a while.
    Avg pace for each rep: 8:09, 7:50.

SAT | Long run (12.4 miles @ 9:58, HR 148)
    Weirdly I'd been noticing over the last few months that I'd start to run out of energy towards the end of some long runs, not something I've ever really experienced before apart from in much longer ones. Last week and this week I haven't had that problem at all, despite doing sessions the day before (which I hadn't been doing on the other plan). Could be a total coincidence of course, it's only two weeks.

SUN | Rest. Followed Sinead Diver's amazing performance in the NYC marathon, she just seems to go from strength to strength, it's so great to see.

43.75 miles for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Welcome back to logging. Exciting to have a plan now for DCM next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Great to see you back logging!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Great to see DCM fomo claimed another victim!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Great to see C, concrete goal to focus & sharpen the mind. Best of luck to you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Delighted to see you back logging again C. Looking forward to the next 5k PB attempt - a warmup for DCM 2020 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Yeah, welcome back! Happy winter training ahead.

Thanks everyone! Better attempt to keep it up now I suppose :P
    Great to see DCM fomo claimed another victim!
    Definitely, I couldn't be going through that again next year! Easier to just run the thing (or that's what I'm saying now...)

4th - 10th November

MON | Easy run (6 miles @ 10:47 pace, HR 140)

TUE | 8 x 2 min CV, 2 min recovery
    Nice session, done after work. Always find it hard to tell if pace/effort is right with these or if it's closer to 5k effort since there's so little in the difference.
    Rep paces (goal 7:35-7:25): 7:19, 7:23, 7:29, 7:24, 7:25, 7:25, 7:36 (got stuck behind people on the path), 7:23.

WED | Runmute home from work (7.1 miles @ 10:08, HR 137)
    One of those totally effortless runs, which is unusual for a runmute, but this was great.

THU | Morning runmute in the other direction (6 miles @ 10:17, HR 149)
    Very definitely not effortless! Lashing rain and freezing cold. My hands and arms were numb by the time I got in. A miserable run!

And that was that for the week. By lunchtime on Thursday I was achey and shivering. Went home after work that evening and spent the next two days in bed sick. Felt a good bit better on Sunday but still low energy so no more running. A pity as the week started out great but them's the breaks, it was nothing serious so can't complain.

26 miles in total.

Hope you're feeling better now.

• Advertisement

I'm grand now, thanks E.

Glad to get a proper week on the books this week after missing out on a few runs last week. Jayney it's cold though! Gonna have to accept reality and get some of the warmer gear out I reckon.

11th - 17th November

MON | Easy run (6 miles @ 10:51 pace, HR 137)
    Nice and easy before work to start Monday morning off. Glad to be back to it and everything felt fine.

TUE | 7 x 3 min CV, 2 min recovery (7.1 miles)
    Botched this one by choosing a totally unsuitable route and kept having to slow down to turn corners. GPS went haywire too so not much use as a session overall but hopefully better than nothing!

WED | Evening runmute (6.7 miles @ 10:26, HR 141)
    Ran home from work in the lashing rain.

THU | Morning runmute (6 miles @ 10:51, HR 142) + evening yoga
    Ran back in to work in the morning. More rain. Garmin docked me another fitness point (lost one last week too). What gives Garmin?

FRI | 30 min tempo (8.1 miles total)
    More watch issues, seems to be the week for them. It recorded me slowing a bit for the second half of this which I don't think I did, but looking at the map of the run it's way off in places so not accurate. I think in reality this was where it needed to be, more or less.

SAT | 2 hour long run (12.1 miles @ 10:11, HR 145)
    A tough enough long run, weirdly. Just felt tired from the start. Managed to get through it but I was wiped for the day afterwards.

SUN | Rest.
    Flying to Brussels for a very short work trip.

Total: 46.1 miles

A good week volume and consistency wise, but a bit unsatisfying in terms of none of the harder runs going brilliantly. Totally failed on the S+C front yet again, struggling to even imagine how it's possible to fit everything in at the moment!

I've a lot of catching up to do here reading other logs, but posting this before I lose motivation

18th - 24th November

MON | Nothing
    Over in Brussels for work and after a late flight the previous night I couldn't make myself get up in time to hit the hotel treadmill before work, which was the only chance I had.

TUE | 6 x 2 min VO2, 2 min recovery (6.6 miles)
    Wasn't optimistic about this one given I was doing it first thing in the morning, but it actually seemed easier than I remember it being last time I did the same session. That said, I did walk a little at the start of each of the recoveries. The last rep was too fast and felt properly tough.
    Rep paces: 6:58, 6:55, 6:58, 6:57, 6:55, 6:47 (Goal 6:50 - 7:00).

WED | Evening runmute (7.6 miles @ 10:23, HR 150)
    Ran home from work (the long way). This felt fine so I'm not sure why the HR was up and Garmin still showing my VO2 max as low.

THU | Morning runmute (7.2 miles @ 10:43)
    Rainy and miserable run to work. Battery in the HR strap died.

FRI | 3 x 8 min threshold, 3 min recovery (7.5 miles total)
    Tough. I don't trust the pace on my watch for this at all as it seemed way off, so some of the toughness might have been down to going harder than I should have because the pace was off, can't say for sure. The GPS was definitely wonky looking at what it recorded, so pace was fairly meaningless.

SAT | Rest
    In college all day so had to postpone the long run for a day.

SUN | Long run (11.2 miles @ 10:18, HR 149) + 30 min yoga
    Finally replaced the battery in my HR strap! Enjoyed this, out along the seafront on the northside. So many runners in DCM 19 tops. I notice the Grads plan has the long runs getting shorter (this should have been 80 mins/8 miles ish for me). I ignored it this time but will probably have them get shorter from here on, but I'm curious as to why if anyone knows? I understand it for the taper period, but otherwise is there anything wrong with keeping up the usual long run?

40 miles for the week.

Zero S&C, again :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I remember asking about the shorter long runs for the grads plan last year, and it was about a step back week (like many plans have the 3 weeks hard, 1 week recovery approach) but the week after picked back up again? If you're coming to the end of the plan I suppose it's a taper, but if you're not tapering for anything I wouldn't see why you couldn't just keep them longer... especially if you're feeling good :)

If we combined my current S&C schedule and your running, I think we'd be in a good place :p

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I remember asking about the shorter long runs for the grads plan last year, and it was about a step back week (like many plans have the 3 weeks hard, 1 week recovery approach) but the week after picked back up again? If you're coming to the end of the plan I suppose it's a taper, but if you're not tapering for anything I wouldn't see why you couldn't just keep them longer... especially if you're feeling good :)

If we combined my current S&C schedule and your running, I think we'd be in a good place :p
    There are a couple of step back weeks, but even over and above that they just get shorter in the second half of the plan. I reckon since I'm used to doing a 2 hour long run it's no harm anyway, but I'll shorten it to have a mini taper if I manage a 5k in December, which I hopefully will!

Ehh your S+C is massively putting me to shame, you're going to be in amazing shape for next year I reckon.

There are a couple of step back weeks, but even over and above that they just get shorter in the second half of the plan. I reckon since I'm used to doing a 2 hour long run it's no harm anyway, but I'll shorten it to have a mini taper if I manage a 5k in December, which I hopefully will!

Ehh your S+C is massively putting me to shame, you're going to be in amazing shape for next year I reckon.

I always just assumed it was down to different phases in the plan. So, in the latter stages, there's less focus on the endurance aspect and more on the sharpening/race specific aspect.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    I always just assumed it was down to different phases in the plan. So, in the latter stages, there's less focus on the endurance aspect and more on the sharpening/race specific aspect.
    That's more or less what I'm assuming too, I guess I was just wondering then if it's actually an important part of the plan that the long runs are shortened (maybe to get more out of the speed sessions) or just that they didn't need to be as long. Not something I'm going to lose sleep over anyway, but I'm curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

eyrie wrote:
    That's more or less what I'm assuming too, I guess I was just wondering then if it's actually an important part of the plan that the long runs are shortened (maybe to get more out of the speed sessions) or just that they didn't need to be as long. Not something I'm going to lose sleep over anyway, but I'm curious.

I suspect it's a couple of things. With most plans you'll see some sort of reduction in volume as the plan approaches its end. You may also find that as you approach peak week on the plan its may have high intensity (tough sessions) so the long run might be cut back to minimise the risk of injury.
    Probably OK to keep the run long if you're not tapering for anything specifically but equally important to listen to the body. High intensity plus high volume equals high risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

My take on it would be that it's not a case that the second half of the plan has short 'long' runs and the first half has 'proper' long runs. Compared to many 5k training plans the long runs in the second half of the grads plan are more comparable. The first half of the grads plan places a lot of emphasis on aerobic development something which we can never get enough of. (particularly for those of us only running for a relatively short time). As was mentioned previously the second half of the plan is more about sharpening and an increased amount of anaerobic running.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the inputs! All of that makes sense. I guess it's maybe different coming at the plan as a follow on from base training (which is how it's written) versus as a continuation of more ongoing training where a 2 hour long run would be the norm every week, so I wouldn't be inclined to cut that back unless it seemed necessary. I'm inclined to think apart from the taper phase, the rest of the time a long run can't hurt because the 5k is still an aerobic event, so unless the plan is becoming too tiring overall it's probably ok to keep it. That's how I'm justifying it to myself anyway :p

Advertisement