Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earning my go-faster stripes...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Finding it hard to keep the log updated lately, but I'll throw up a quick recap of the last few weeks before I get to the race from the weekend.

25th November - 1st December
    Last full week of the 5k plan before it starts to step back. Two sessions for the week were 6 x 4 min CV pace, which was a struggle first thing on a wet and windy morning, and a 5-4-3-2-1 Threshold-CV-AP-VO2-110% w/ equal recoveries, which was great fun and felt pretty comfortable.
    Just over 42 miles and happy with that week

2nd - 8th December
    This week started fine. Tuesday session was 5 x 5 min CV, which felt relaxed and hit target paces comfortably. The rest of the week was a bit of a disaster. Missed Wednesday and Thursday completely, an easy run on Friday was fine but then I had a 2k time trial planned for Saturday which was a disaster. I headed to Brickfields parkrun to do it, ran the first 3k at easy pace but when I tried to speed up I couldn't seem to get near 5k pace, never mind faster. With 0.5k to go I just stopped. Not even intentionally, I just stood still all of a sudden. Gave up and jogged home, not a happy camper. Easy run the next day was fine but then I got a migraine that evening that wiped me out.
    32 miles in total.

9th - 15th December
    All easy this week leading up to race day, apart from the Grads plan usual race week session of 6 x 1 min VO2 max midweek, which was enjoyable. The rest was easy and very low mileage. Saturday was to be the Aware 5k in the Phoenix Park (to make up for not being able to run Jingle Bells the previous week). The race itself plus the extra miles either side only made 22.5 miles for the week. Report up next!

I hadn't signed up for this in advance and when the morning came around I was extremely close to just skipping it - wasn't in the mood and it was freezing cold. Didn't think the form was great either - I'd attempted a 2k time trial the week before during a parkrun and abandoned it because I wasn't up to it. But I had actually tapered in the week leading up to this and didn't want to waste that, so I dragged myself out. Arrived and did a warm up jog (not that there was any warming up happening - it was bitter!), admiring the range of Christmassy costumes people had on.

There was a good bit of waiting around at the start so they could let the 10k runners off, and then an issue about moving the starting gantry. Much shivering involved. Finally, time to start!

The Race

Up and on to Chesterfield Ave, down a bit and then the turnaround to head back up the other side. Just tried not to lose too much time to the hairpin turn. Coming up the other side I was instantly hit by the wind and the cold. Tried to tuck in behind a few other runners but there weren't that many around to be honest. I picked a guy in an orange top just up ahead and caught up to just behind him. The Chesterfield stretch seemed longer than I expected. Breathing a bit hard but nothing major. Mile 1 buzzed just before we turned off - 7:12. Happy enough with that, not likely to manage a PB but I'd be happy with under 22:30 (PB was 22:13) and that seemed on.

Left onto Ordnance Survey Rd and the wind really hit, we were running straight into it now. I was still trying to hide behind orange top man but I knew I could be going a bit faster so I figured I'd better make a move and just go for it. Had my eye on a woman a good bit up ahead who looked strong, and I gradually caught up to her as we turned off towards Knockmaroon Gate. We joined up with the 10k runners at this point, and I heard people later giving out about getting stuck behind them but I had no issue to be honest, I had plenty of space to pass through them. Bit of a downhill to Knockmaroon Gate and then the reverse uphill back out of it. It was short and not bad at all. Mile 2 - 7:20. Ok, no need to worry about the PB so but the 22:30 goal still seemed possible.

The last mile was back up Knockmaroon Rd and onto the Furze, and thankfully we had turned away from the wind here, it was behind us now. This was amazing to be honest - the usual misery of the last mile of a 5k was totally turned around by the fact that it was so much easier than the previous mile because of the wind. It was getting tougher, sure, but not bad at all by normal standards. Through the crossroads onto the Furze Rd I saw a woman up ahead in a black vest and shorts. In this weather! She had good form and looked comfortable. I thought of trying to catch her and instantly thought nope, she looks like she means business. But then a glance at my watch showed 19:30 and I could see the finish gantry. Not close, but visible. Hmmm. Feck it, just go, see what happens.

I went for it. I'd never dream of kicking that early (about half a mile to go I reckon) but the body seemed well able for it. Passed black shorts woman and picked it up a bit further. Kept my eyes focused on the gantry - just get there was the only plan! I could see the clock counting down in the low 21:xx. Huh? Mile 3 - 6:46.

Crossed the line and stopped my watch, a bit dazed to see the time on it. No way I could have got almost a minute of a PB? Felt fairly decent too, not half as gassed as after the last two 5ks I've done. The woman in black came up and congratulated me, and told me I had come third. I couldn't believe it. Obviously there weren't as many faster runners there as you normally get at a race, but third place in any race is not something I ever thought I'd experience so it was very nice regardless! I shuffled off to do my cool down and get back to warm clothes as quickly as possible.

Chip time: 21:18.

So, my watch measured short - 3 miles. From what I've seen on Strava there's a bit of variation but several people have it short by at least a bit. On the one hand, I'm delighted with my result. On the other, all I really wanted for most of this year was a sub 22 5k, and I really wish I had an accurate PB to be proud of now. I'm pretty certain from the pace I was going for the last quarter mile I would have been under the 22 anyway so I'm going to count that goal as achieved, but I can't really take 21:18 as a PB. All the same I felt pretty strong right the way through this, so on a less windy day I might get a little closer to it for real.

Regardless, it was an amazing race for me and a big lesson about the mental side of things. Got me thinking a lot about how much we hold ourselves back. There's no question that if I hadn't looked at my watch near the end (and normally I'd tell myself not to!) I would have thought I was doing my best at a much slower pace. But it gave me a kick to speed up and it turned out I was well able. I'll do well to remember that moment in future races.

Course measurement aside, it was a really enjoyable event and lovely atmosphere. Nice route and one I'd do again I think. Happy with that for the last race of 2019!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Super last mile, sub 22 definitely in the legs!! Well done. Tom Brennan 5k on New Years Day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

AMAZING! Sorry it's slightly tarnished but third place is third place and, as you say, it's a clear sub 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭ariana`

That was a super run C, congratulations. I feel your frustration that the course didn't measure the full distance but i think you can definitely check the sub 22 box and absolutely fantastic to get a podium finish, a super return for all the consistent training you've put in and a lovely finish to what has been at a times a frustrating year for you. It sounds like you enjoyed it more than a little bit too? Do you envisage a return to the 5k distance next year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I was hoping you'd be on to log a race report :) It didn't disappoint!!
    Absolutely fantastic running! Soooo annoying about the distance but definitely sub22 territory anyway!! And a podium finish!! Was there a prize?! Delighted for you and really well deserved after all the hard work and early morning sessions. Super.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Well done C, great race. I have to admit that if I was you I'd be claiming it as a PB. GPS is not infallible and I know from my many runs in the Park that the area near Knockmaroon Gate always gives strange readings. For example it always shows me running slower down into the Glen than going uphill out of it. I see from your Strava that you also had some spikes and troughs in pace at that part of the course, a sure sign that signal had been lost more than once.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

That's really great racing C - you were flying at the end.

Like B mentioned, would you try another 5k over the Christmas period? I'd a similar frustrating experience with a 5k course being short over the summer. It's just so annoying. Happily I found another 5k two weeks later and got a "proper" PB. You've plenty of great training there to cash in on if you find a 5k that suits.

Congrats on the podium, it's becoming a habit!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Fantastic race C- as I mentioned to you a few weeks back you’ve being doing some fantastic training weeks and mileage- delighted for you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

That was brilliant C. Delighted for you. Especially as you were considering skipping it. 20:xx 5k a 2020 goal? :)

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    Super last mile, sub 22 definitely in the legs!! Well done. Tom Brennan 5k on New Years Day?
    Dunno if I plan to be in any state to run a 5k on New Year's Day, but you never know!
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    AMAZING! Sorry it's slightly tarnished but third place is third place and, as you say, it's a clear sub 22.
    Thanks E, yep it's a bit of a pity to have question marks over the distance but still a good outcome and far better than I expected.
    ariana` wrote: »
    That was a super run C, congratulations. I feel your frustration that the course didn't measure the full distance but i think you can definitely check the sub 22 box and absolutely fantastic to get a podium finish, a super return for all the consistent training you've put in and a lovely finish to what has been at a times a frustrating year for you. It sounds like you enjoyed it more than a little bit too? Do you envisage a return to the 5k distance next year?
    Thanks a million E. It has indeed been a fairly up and down year so this is a lovely note to finish on. I won't be focusing on 5k next year, though I may fit one in at some point. But the focus will be on longer things! ;)
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    I was hoping you'd be on to log a race report :) It didn't disappoint!!
    Absolutely fantastic running! Soooo annoying about the distance but definitely sub22 territory anyway!! And a podium finish!! Was there a prize?! Delighted for you and really well deserved after all the hard work and early morning sessions. Super.
    Ah thanks V. I scurried off as soon as it was finished because I was so cold, never occurred to me until I was halfway home that maybe I should have hung around to see if there were prizes! But sure the free banana and yellow snack did the trick :P

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Well done C, great race. I have to admit that if I was you I'd be claiming it as a PB. GPS is not infallible and I know from my many runs in the Park that the area near Knockmaroon Gate always gives strange readings. For example it always shows me running slower down into the Glen than going uphill out of it. I see from your Strava that you also had some spikes and troughs in pace at that part of the course, a sure sign that signal had been lost more than once.
    Oooh I never thought about that. I guess I'll never know for sure. My pace definitely didn't change significantly so there were probably some GPS issues alright, but hard to tell if that would have been enough. Annoying, but sure I'll have to try and beat it now anyway. Just not for a while... :pac:
    Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    That's really great racing C - you were flying at the end.

Like B mentioned, would you try another 5k over the Christmas period? I'd a similar frustrating experience with a 5k course being short over the summer. It's just so annoying. Happily I found another 5k two weeks later and got a "proper" PB. You've plenty of great training there to cash in on if you find a 5k that suits.

Congrats on the podium, it's becoming a habit!
    Lol, I don't know about habit! Just got lucky that all the faster people had probably done Jingle Bells the week before.

I doubt I'll manage another 5k given the time of year and everything else going on, but if it happens to work out that I can I'll give one a shot and see what happens.
    Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Fantastic race C- as I mentioned to you a few weeks back you’ve being doing some fantastic training weeks and mileage- delighted for you!!!
    Thanks a million!! Really appreciate that. It's often hard to judge in training how you're going, so always nice to get a good result when it happens.
    That was brilliant C. Delighted for you. Especially as you were considering skipping it. 20:xx 5k a 2020 goal? :)
    Ha, I like your ambition but not sure I share it! Maybe 2021 goal, if we're thinking ahead that far...

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Wow, congratulations on such a brilliant time! Fantastic:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Well done - super racing !

Hadd Base Training, a.k.a Lockdown Running Adventures

I've started a new training 'experiment' to keep myself paying attention during this lockdown, and I got a notion to revive the log along with it. Didn't realise it had been quite so long...

The experiment is another go at Hadd base training (https://www.angio.net/personal/run/hadd.pdf), which is all heart rate based. I tried a phase of HR training based off this before but to be honest the appeal this time was doing the test (he has you run intervals at different set heart rates and record the pace, then repeat every 6 weeks or so to monitor any improvement). Given that there's no racing going on at the moment it seemed like a fun way to have something to aim for, but also I had been finding doing any kind of hard sessions very tough lately and this is very low pressure since it's all effort-based!

Finished the first week now and I really enjoyed it, although it's made me realise I need to start back on the iron supplements as my heart rate generally runs higher for even easy efforts when my iron levels are low.

So, the fun bit to start - the test!

Hadd says to run 2400m intervals but since he was describing a much faster runner than me, it equates to about 8 min reps, which is what I went with.

8 mins @ 140 HR (Actual 139) | 10:31 avg pace
    8 mins @ 150 HR (Actual 150) | 10:02 avg pace
    8 mins @ 160 HR (Actual 158) | 8:58 avg pace
    8 mins @ 170 HR (Actual 170) | 8:24 avg pace
    8 mins @ 180 HR (Actual 179) | 7:55 avg pace
    90 seconds recovery between intervals.

I'm coming in to this having felt very unfit for the last two months or so, so everything will be slow for a while I'm sure. That said, all reps bar the last felt very comfortable, but the 180 HR rep definitely felt like work so I'm guessing my lactate threshold is somewhere in the mid 170s.

Looking forward to repeating the test next month and seeing what happens. I'll post the rest of the week up later. I've a lot of log reading to catch up on... :pac:
    Hope you're all surviving the madness fairly well. At least we can run!

The rest of last week's running was fairly humbling in terms of how hard it was to keep a low heart rate on several of the runs.

Monday - A regular 60 mins easy before I had decided to start the HR training again. 5.5 miles @ 10:36 p/m, 145 HR avg
    Tuesday - I headed out for the Hadd test described above and finished up with 7 miles altogether.

Started following the 'plan' (it's more a method than a plan really I guess) on Wednesday.

Wednesday - 60 mins @ 150 HR (Actual 151 avg, and higher towards the end)
    Splits: 9:03, 9:43, 9:45, 10:21, 10:09, 10:29
    Pretty terrible as the splits show, though I started too fast to get up to the target HR so the fade was inevitable to some degree. Pretty shockin though.

Thursday - 50 mins @ 145 HR (Actual 146)
    Splits: 10:02, 10:51, 11:07, 10:52, 10:53
    Less fade (leaving out the much quicker first mile) but crept up a few beats over the 145

Friday - Steady run: 75 mins @ 160 HR (Actual 160)
    Splits: 8:57, 9:09, 9:37, 9:48, 10:01, 10:04, 9:38, 10:07 for last 0.8 mile
    I'm blaming the humidity for at least some of the fade this time, very sticky out.

Saturday - Longish: 10 miles easy @ up to 155 HR (Actual 154)
    Splits: 10:28, 10:35, 10:36, 10:28, 10:16, 10:40, 10:42, 10:30, 10:20, 10:39
    Better! Doing the longer runs within the 2k radius is tough, but just glad to be able to do it still.

Sunday - Recovery 40 mins
    The HR strap went a bit mental for this so just kept it nice and easy anyway. Wouldn't normally run 7 days but no reason not to now really!

45 miles for the week.

Also did yoga 2 or 3 times. I'm finding my back, shoulder and right hip getting quite sore working from home so need to work in some strength stuff or Pilates too. Enjoying the running more than I have for ages though. Nothing like being stuck indoors most of the time to make you appreciate getting out for a run!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

eyrie wrote: »
    Nothing like being stuck indoors most of the time to make you appreciate getting out for a run!

100% agree. I'm savouring the miles alone. The Yoga by the way is a secret weapon for good running form ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Delighted to see this log revived. Keep it going :)

Started following the 'plan' (it's more a method than a plan really I guess) on Wednesday.

45 miles for the week.

Also did yoga 2 or 3 times. I'm finding my back, shoulder and right hip getting quite sore working from home so need to work in some strength stuff or Pilates too. Enjoying the running more than I have for ages though. Nothing like being stuck indoors most of the time to make you appreciate getting out for a run!

You're still comfortably outdoing me when it comes to mileage. Great that you're enjoying it too. Looking forward to seeing how much benefit the new plan/method will bring :D

I read that HADD document after you mentioned it on Strava C. I found it very interesting, especially as it referenced Marathon HR which is something I've queried in the past. It's definitely a document i'll reference from time to time so thanks for bringing it to my attention. The approach seems to be going well for you too, i'm very interested in following how you get on.
    The rest of last week's running was fairly humbling in terms of how hard it was to keep a low heart rate on several of the runs.

Monday - A regular 60 mins easy before I had decided to start the HR training again. 5.5 miles @ 10:36 p/m, 145 HR avg
    Tuesday - I headed out for the Hadd test described above and finished up with 7 miles altogether.

Wednesday - 60 mins @ 150 HR (Actual 151 avg, and higher towards the end)
    Splits: 9:03, 9:43, 9:45, 10:21, 10:09, 10:29
    Pretty terrible as the splits show, though I started too fast to get up to the target HR so the fade was inevitable to some degree. Pretty shockin though.

Thursday - 50 mins @ 145 HR (Actual 146)
    Splits: 10:02, 10:51, 11:07, 10:52, 10:53
    Less fade (leaving out the much quicker first mile) but crept up a few beats over the 145

Friday - Steady run: 75 mins @ 160 HR (Actual 160)
    Splits: 8:57, 9:09, 9:37, 9:48, 10:01, 10:04, 9:38, 10:07 for last 0.8 mile
    I'm blaming the humidity for at least some of the fade this time, very sticky out.

Saturday - Longish: 10 miles easy @ up to 155 HR (Actual 154)
    Splits: 10:28, 10:35, 10:36, 10:28, 10:16, 10:40, 10:42, 10:30, 10:20, 10:39
    Better! Doing the longer runs within the 2k radius is tough, but just glad to be able to do it still.

Sunday - Recovery 40 mins
    The HR strap went a bit mental for this so just kept it nice and easy anyway. Wouldn't normally run 7 days but no reason not to now really!

45 miles for the week.

I'm finding my shoulders and neck very stiff too. The at home office chair (i.e. the kitchen chair) definitely isn't meant for sitting on all day :( I do a little yoga most evenings but only a handful of poses that i like doing, i probably should be doing some poses that challenge me a bit more to get some real benefit. It's great that you're enjoying your running, i love that feeling.

100% agree. I'm savouring the miles alone. The Yoga by the way is a secret weapon for good running form ;)
    Absolutely - being cooped up with people (wonderful as they might be ;)) 24/7 really makes the quiet on a good run feel amazing. And the yoga is magic stuff!

• Advertisement

Delighted to see this log revived. Keep it going :)
    You're still comfortably outdoing me when it comes to mileage. Great that you're enjoying it too. Looking forward to seeing how much benefit the new plan/method will bring :D
    Thanks J! Good to be back, hopefully I can keep it going a bit better now... And you're looking extremely consistent of late, hopefully we all get to reap the rewards in a few months time!
    I read that HADD document after you mentioned it on Strava C. I found it very interesting, especially as it referenced Marathon HR which is something I've queried in the past. It's definitely a document i'll reference from time to time so thanks for bringing it to my attention. The approach seems to be going well for you too, i'm very interested in following how you get on.
    Thanks E, it's interesting stuff alright. I'm a sucker for anything you can measure (like many of us here, I think) so the idea of following a method and repeating the tests appeals!
    I'm finding my shoulders and neck very stiff too. The at home office chair (i.e. the kitchen chair) definitely isn't meant for sitting on all day :( I do a little yoga most evenings but only a handful of poses that i like doing, i probably should be doing some poses that challenge me a bit more to get some real benefit. It's great that you're enjoying your running, i love that feeling.
    No feeling like it :p I'm right there with you on the "home office" problems though - I do wonder if we'll all be crocks by the time all of this is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

great to see this back and you are doing great.

Here's another one suffering with the back from the scourge of the kitchen chair.:eek:

i tried working outside in the sunshine but the glare & reflection on the laptop made it impossible. I found a good position sitting in my armchair with a laptop pad on my knee and my paperwork on the arm of the chair. Works for a while anyway.;)

I find if do a couple of hours in the morning, then walk for an hour and then back at it after lunch it makes it a little more bearable. But I'm lucky that I'm not tied to 9-5 hrs.

Also I started the yoga yesterday and noticing the difference already.

Younganne wrote: »
    great to see this back and you are doing great.

Here's another one suffering with the back from the scourge of the kitchen chair.:eek:

i tried working outside in the sunshine but the glare & reflection on the laptop made it impossible. I found a good position sitting in my armchair with a laptop pad on my knee and my paperwork on the arm of the chair. Works for a while anyway.;)

I find if do a couple of hours in the morning, then walk for an hour and then back at it after lunch it makes it a little more bearable. But I'm lucky that I'm not tied to 9-5 hrs.

Also I started the yoga yesterday and noticing the difference already.
    I'm finding an armchair better than the desk too actually, particularly if I mix it up and sit cross-legged up on the chair sometimes! The yoga makes a big difference, and I did my first online pilates class today and feeling the benefit of it since too. Breaking up the sitting is crucial though! At least when we're at work normally you have to get up for various things, walk in to the office next door, etc. At home it's easy to hardly move if you don't make an effort to do it!

I'm on "holidays" (:rolleyes:) this week - myself and S had booked leave ages ago and had fairly different plans for how to use it back then, but decided not to cancel it and just take a bit of a mental break from trying to work in a tiny apartment. So instead we're just sitting twiddling our thumbs in said apartment instead, maybe not the brightest idea... On the plus side, the freezer is now defrosted, the shower has never been cleaner, and there are various DIY projects going on that I'm staying well away from :D But I've had plenty of time to run and catch up on my boards time, so there's that :pac:

Monday 13th - 75 mins steady @ 160 HR
    8.3 miles @ 9:10 /m average (159 HR)
    Splits: 9:00, 8:48, 9:06, 9:16, 9:09, 9:15, 9:07, 9:17

A world apart from the same run last week. One of those evenings where it just felt amazing to be out and moving, every minute of this was a pleasure. I was able to keep things much more even too, and the variations in pace this time were more down to wind direction than increasing effort.

Tuesday 14th - 60 mins easy @ 145-150 HR
    6 miles @ 10:35 p/m (145 HR)
    Splits: 10:04, 10:23, 10:47, 11:12, 10:43, 10:14
    20 mins yoga afterwards

Wasn't feeling it from very early on this time - dodgy stomach and generally a bit dizzy. I stopped for a bit after 4 miles before finishing the rest. Had some quite stressful life stuff going on before I headed out for this, and I'm noticing already that my heart rate is much higher when I have a lot on my mind on a run. Might make this experiment with HR training interesting...

Wednesday 15th - 60 mins easy @ up to 145 HR
    5.8 miles @ 11:05 p/m (144 HR)
    Splits: 10:14, 11:02, 11:35, 11:17, 11:16
    15 mins Pilates

Garmin VO2 down again. Have to keep reminding myself this is a long game! These were the slowest miles I've run in a long time, a couple of years probably. That said, it was lovely to be out. Went up to Brickfields park - not the most exciting one to run loops of, but I was after some green and it did the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

I'm finding an armchair better than the desk too actually, particularly if I mix it up and sit cross-legged up on the chair sometimes! The yoga makes a big difference, and I did my first online pilates class today and feeling the benefit of it since too. Breaking up the sitting is crucial though! At least when we're at work normally you have to get up for various things, walk in to the office next door, etc. At home it's easy to hardly move if you don't make an effort to do it!

Ha I Just did an online Pilates this evening too. Haven’t been to the group in a few month but still in the WhatsApp group and everyone is encouraged to attend.
    She was doing HIIT last week but not a hope of me keeping up

Thanks for the office desk seating suggestions ladies, i must try them out. And A. great idea to break it up with a walk at lunchtime. I'm not tied to 9-5 either thankfully but i prefer to get it out of the way inside normal working hours if i can so the kids know that come the evening they can be guaranteed my undivided attention.

I'm on "holidays" (:rolleyes:) this week - myself and S had booked leave ages ago and had fairly different plans for how to use it back then, but decided not to cancel it and just take a bit of a mental break from trying to work in a tiny apartment. So instead we're just sitting twiddling our thumbs in said apartment instead, maybe not the brightest idea... On the plus side, the freezer is now defrosted, the shower has never been cleaner, and there are various DIY projects going on that I'm staying well away from :D But I've had plenty of time to run and catch up on my boards time, so there's that :pac:

Monday 13th - 75 mins steady @ 160 HR
    8.3 miles @ 9:10 /m average (159 HR)
    Splits: 9:00, 8:48, 9:06, 9:16, 9:09, 9:15, 9:07, 9:17

A world apart from the same run last week. One of those evenings where it just felt amazing to be out and moving, every minute of this was a pleasure. I was able to keep things much more even too, and the variations in pace this time were more down to wind direction than increasing effort.

Tuesday 14th - 60 mins easy @ 145-150 HR
    6 miles @ 10:35 p/m (145 HR)
    Splits: 10:04, 10:23, 10:47, 11:12, 10:43, 10:14
    20 mins yoga afterwards

Wasn't feeling it from very early on this time - dodgy stomach and generally a bit dizzy. I stopped for a bit after 4 miles before finishing the rest. Had some quite stressful life stuff going on before I headed out for this, and I'm noticing already that my heart rate is much higher when I have a lot on my mind on a run. Might make this experiment with HR training interesting...

Wednesday 15th - 60 mins easy @ up to 145 HR
    5.8 miles @ 11:05 p/m (144 HR)
    Splits: 10:14, 11:02, 11:35, 11:17, 11:16
    15 mins Pilates

Garmin VO2 down again. Have to keep reminding myself this is a long game! These were the slowest miles I've run in a long time, a couple of years probably. That said, it was lovely to be out. Went up to Brickfields park - not the most exciting one to run loops of, but I was after some green and it did the trick.

That was a lovely run you did on Monday C, sweet.

Enjoy your week off. It's a shame about the plans you made. We were in a similar boat last week, it's disappointing :cool:

Younganne wrote: »
    Ha I Just did an online Pilates this evening too. Haven’t been to the group in a few month but still in the WhatsApp group and everyone is encouraged to attend.
    She was doing HIIT last week but not a hope of me keeping up
    Ha, must be something in the air! Give me anything but HIIT though, ughhhh... That said, the first go back at Pilates yesterday was a shock to the system. Something about the slowness of it just makes it even more torturous!

Thanks for the office desk seating suggestions ladies, i must try them out. And A. great idea to break it up with a walk at lunchtime. I'm not tied to 9-5 either thankfully but i prefer to get it out of the way inside normal working hours if i can so the kids know that come the evening they can be guaranteed my undivided attention.
    That was a lovely run you did on Monday C, sweet.
    Enjoy your week off. It's a shame about the plans you made. We were in a similar boat last week, it's disappointing :cool:
    It is. Had you booked something? Luckily we hadn't (finally a benefit to being a procrastinator :pac:), so no great loss at least.

Ha, must be something in the air! Give me anything but HIIT though, ughhhh... That said, the first go back at Pilates yesterday was a shock to the system. Something about the slowness of it just makes it even more torturous!

It is. Had you booked something? Luckily we hadn't (finally a benefit to being a procrastinator :pac:), so no great loss at least.

We were to spend the week in Achill. We're hoping we can go in late August instead but it's a game of wait & see for everyone. I dispersed my week a day per week over 5 weeks instead to lighten the load that way which has helped a lot. I'm sure you guys would have had a lovely week, sometimes it's nice to have no set plans.

We were to spend the week in Achill. We're hoping we can go in late August instead but it's a game of wait & see for everyone. I dispersed my week a day per week over 5 weeks instead to lighten the load that way which has helped a lot. I'm sure you guys would have had a lovely week, sometimes it's nice to have no set plans.
    Ahhh, you could have been stuck there with David O'Doherty :p Funny, we were considering somewhere around there or West Cork ourselves. It'll be lovely in August instead though, hope you get to go then. We've had a nice week here doing nothing anyway, and it's only 4 days leave so still plenty for a holiday later in the year (hopefully!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Great to see this log being updated C :)
    I had read that HADD document before, possibly when you were doing it before actually, and just re-read it now. Very interesting, I'll be looking to see how it goes for you!

I was due to be off the week after next but thinking I'll cancel it instead of that dreaded staring at the walls for the 5 days!

Advertisement