Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charter Flights

• 18-08-2017 4:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if travel agents eg Crystal allow you to book places on their charter flights inc transfer to resort without booking accommodation aswell?

Looking at heading to St Anton next year but there's a couple of us would prefer to book our own hotel. Getting to St Anton by ourselves looks a bit tricky as there's no direct flights from Dublin to Innsbruck.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Does anyone know if travel agents eg Crystal allow you to book places on their charter flights inc transfer to resort without booking accommodation aswell?

Looking at heading to St Anton next year but there's a couple of us would prefer to book our own hotel. Getting to St Anton by ourselves looks a bit tricky as there's no direct flights from Dublin to Innsbruck.

Don't know about the charters but we went to Solden last year after hiring a mini bus from Memmengin. It was 90 return and Solden is further down the road than St Anton. Memmengin is also reasonably cheap to fly in to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

I went there last January, flew into Salzburg with Ryanair and rented a car. It's a long enough drive though, not massively enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭VG31

You can getting connecting flights to Innsbruck via Frankfurt for around €190.

Some travel agents like Sunway and Falcon do sell flights but the winter charter companies don't advertise it. They can be very expensive to book flights with anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

We flew to Zurich and got a train to st.anton, return train is roughly 80 quid and takes about 2.5 hours iirc

The train worked out cheaper for us than renting a car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Gileadi wrote: »
    We flew to Zurich and got a train to st.anton, return train is roughly 80 quid and takes about 2.5 hours iirc

The train worked out cheaper for us than renting a car
    Can you remember what train/flight you got when heading home?

Looking at last year's timetable (none up for this year yet) a train left St Anton at 06.10 and arrived at Zurich airport at 09.40

The flight I'm looking at from Zurich to Dublin leaves at 10.40 which would be cutting it really fine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I have used Crystal for flights and transfers only before, you have to call them to do it cant do self service online. No idea how far in advance they will book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Rew wrote: »
    I have used Crystal for flights and transfers only before, you have to call them to do it cant do self service online. No idea how far in advance they will book.

If ye end up going for this please let us know how ye get on, can't see it working out cheap as they must take a cut but would be great to know if possible/how much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

Bear in mind that innsbruck is notorious for closing whenever there's fresh snow (ie when you want to be there). I've been to anton 3 times ex zurich, once by train. Its a grand drive. Train times do not tend to stack with aer lingus flights though so you get to overnight in the 3rd most expensive city in the world on occasion or get a sweat on the way out as to whether you'll make it.

Munich and Friedrichshafen also options (Lufthansa do f via Frankfurt from dublin). All are about two and half hours relatively easy driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

Also heard its significantly cheaper to book your tickets on the austrian train website. When I went it was 40 euro return if you booked a specific train as opposed to open ticket

Car handy in anton as some of the best skiing is in zurs, think they've improved the link between them recently but I imagine its still a bit of a schlep.

colly10 wrote: »
    If ye end up going for this please let us know how ye get on, can't see it working out cheap as they must take a cut but would be great to know if possible/how much

When we did it it was ~150-170 quid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭prunudo

It's a bugbear of mine when looking at diy options for Austria each year that's there's no direct flight from Dublin to Innsbruck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Rossboss

Would you believe I've just been on to Crystal about flight & transfer only from Dublin to Salzburg and transfer Bad Hofgastein in Austria. They quoted me over €900 for 2 people!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Rossboss wrote: »
    Would you believe I've just been on to Crystal about flight & transfer only from Dublin to Salzburg and transfer Bad Hofgastein in Austria. They quoted me over €900 for 2 people!!!

And then you have to suffer the transfer, you'd be quicker walking...

Dug though my email and we flew in 2012 with Crystal to Salzburg and transferred with them to Bad Hofgastein. Flight was €199 and I think transfer was 100 or 150.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Just to follow up on this, my mate rang Crystal and was told return flights and transfers to St Anton would be around €450 each

Since then 4 of the group who were originally going all in with Crystal have decided to diy it with us so we're looking at flying to Memmingen and getting a private transfer for 6. Cost for return flights and transfers is coming in at around €250 each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Got a quote of flight only to Salzurg from Crystal at €349pp incl 20kg bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

I reckon you would've mad to pay €349 for a flight when you can get to Munich for about €150 return.

Advertisement