Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas plans/preparation 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Linda if you want to pm me I can pass details on of professional oven cleaner I have used I have them coming to do my mothers tomorrow
    I'm slightly panicked I can't believe it's November I've so much to do I need to get into Prep mode
    I'm getting motivated catching up on the posts here and slightly panicked
    Loving the idea of the garland in the kitchen I've no lip at the top of my kitchen units has anyone tried it with units that don't have a lip?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We ordered paint online and Now I'm trying to decide when to paint. I want the place to look fresh for Christmas but don't want to leave it go to late either.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Might not be helpful, but Lidl on Thomas Street in Dublin has loads of those garlands.

Had a day off today fairly productive day but don’t want to get ahead of myself
    I managed to get my mothers oven professionally cleaned very happy great job, met with handyman also gave him a list of jobs for my mothers house he is starting Monday, i am working through using up bits in the freezer so I can clean that
    Tackled a large press in the kitchen gave it a clean and dumped some old pans and general kitchen junk that was just gathering dust
    It’s mad the things we keep my OH was like ah don’t throw them out I said they haven’t been used in 3 years since we moved in :)
    We might need them he says LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Christmas panic has set in ! I'm looking around and thinking I have soooo much to do ( why do I still get panicky .. I've been prepping all year and but never really feel like I'm "done "?!) Making up lists at the minute .. and I LOVE IT !!!!

Never been so excited to clean windows and an oven in my life :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

I just finished cleaning all of cupboards in kitchen so will wash the top of units early tomorrow- planned on doing more but not sure if I will get to do them now as I was asked if I could mind niece and nephew in morning

I just finished cleaning all of cupboards in kitchen so will wash the top of units early tomorrow- planned on doing more but not sure if I will get to do them now as I was asked if I could mind niece and nephew in morning

Omg I need to get my but into gear ! Have the windows to wash , kids clothes to organise and de clutter and freezer to defrost and I did none of them today! Fair play .. I actually hate cleaning the presses for some reason esp the doors :pac:

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Omg I need to get my but into gear ! Have the windows to wash , kids clothes to organise and de clutter and freezer to defrost and I did none of them today! Fair play .. I actually hate cleaning the presses for some reason esp the doors :pac:

It usually take me few days to do the presses but it only took me less than a day:D think it is because I did it few months ago before I started working! ;) so it was quite satisfying. I hope to sort our clothes and do decluttering, there are only two of us but he is so indecisive so I think kids may be easier ha!

It usually take me few days to do the presses but it only took me less than a day:D think it is because I did it few months ago before I started working! ;) so it was quite satisfying. I hope to sort our clothes and do decluttering, there are only two of us but he is so indecisive so I think kids may be easier ha!

Lol had to laugh at the part about indecisive ... buy vacuum bags ... best thing I ever did. I don't think I throw out any of my clothes ever hahaha. I feel his pain lol. But when I'm doing Mr glitz wardrobe I'm like a heartless assassin just bin loads .. :p oh clever thinking. I should have started mine earlier !

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Lol had to laugh at the part about indecisive ... buy vacuum bags ... best thing I ever did. I don't think I throw out any of my clothes ever hahaha. I feel his pain lol. But when I'm doing Mr glitz wardrobe I'm like a heartless assassin just bin loads .. :p oh clever thinking. I should have started mine earlier !

I got vacuum bags before but it bust :eek:besides I'm not sure if we have much room left in our attic with all Christmas decor especially if I'm hoping to get some more this year :p Yeah I think I will try to do presses 2 or 3 times a year so I have time for more funny tasks like baking or wrapping presents! ;)

• Advertisement

I got vacuum bags before but it bust :eek:besides I'm not sure if we have much room left in our attic with all Christmas decor especially if I'm hoping to get some more this year :p Yeah I think I will try to do presses 2 or 3 times a year so I have time for more funny tasks like baking or wrapping presents! ;)

Hahaha yea I've burst a few too. The sheer panic it causes when your trying to hide clothes :pac: it's a good habit to be in I may try it myself! Oh stop ... baking .. every year it's the one thing I say I want to try and never get around to. Going to have to try it this year !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

Bought my christmas trousers yesterday, need to get them tailored though. Nothing special, say a lovely jacket/blazer in banana republic which may need to be picked up too.

Some shops here have garland up and the hardware stores have decs in, still haven't figured out how to put up a pic here as the image posting website I previously used is no longer supported.

Been working through our freezer using what's in it should manage to clean it this week
    Lots of decluttering today split between bin and charity shop, gave all the downstairs doors, frames and skirting a clean today too

The handyman I got for my mothers house is doing Trojan work very happy, I am keeping on top of housework in both housees plus some Christmas cleaning prep got more kitchen presses cleaned today and my freezer :)

Christmas prep is well underway! Headed up north and Belfast was super Christmassy. They were turning on the lights in the shopping centre so there was lots of activity, including photos with a reindeer. One of the managers in Asda was wearing a Christmas jumper!

Bought an Advent Calendar in Hotel Chocolat, cards and wrapping paper in Sainsbury's, a little gift for someone and champagne for New Year's Eve. It wasn't a Christmas shopping trip but it was just so Christmassy.

Started putting up the christmas decorations here! Boys christmas tree went up , and garlands in the sitting room.
    Have a new rug ordered for sittting room. Am tempted to tape off the sitting room when it's done and put a sign up saying out of order until christmas to try keep it clean :p

We’re cleaning so we’re not mortified when the in-laws come over but I’m telling myself that it’s our Christmas clean. I have a Max Benjamin diffuser that I’m dying to try out so once the living room is clean I’m putting it out.

Most of my pre Christmas cleaning is done!! I'm never as organised this early but I LOVE it!! :D:D Hope to tackle 3 guest bedrooms this weekend but it is basically just a matter of sweeping and dusting... I hope! ;)
    I have 3 jars of mincemeat made and made some more last night so will be putting that in jars when I get home- might make more then- you can never have too much mincemeat :D

Disney fair play to you, I'm smiling ear to ear for you reading that...you sound chuffed :)

I'm slowly getting there il be delegating some jobs to my OH the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I have 3 jars of mincemeat made and made some more last night so will be putting that in jars when I get home- might make more then- you can never have too much mincemeat :D

Have you a recipe for the mincemeat? I've never made my own but would defo give it a go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

What does the Christmas clean entail? I can think of nothing that I could do that wouldn't need to be done between now and Christmas again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Whispered wrote: »
    What does the Christmas clean entail? I can think of nothing that I could do that wouldn't need to be done between now and Christmas again!

Defrosting the freezer....cleaning the oven...tackling the junk press (or room in my case:o)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Dusting. Dusting everywhere.

Loughc wrote: »
    Dusting. Dusting everywhere.

Everywhere! Especially anywhere that will have decorations soon. It makes it so much less painful to clean once the decorations are down if you've dusted well before they go up!

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Have you a recipe for the mincemeat? I've never made my own but would defo give it a go!

It was my first time making it- I'm quite proud of it even though it was pretty simple! I got a recipe from local cafe last year.

1kg of mixed fruit, zest and juice from 2 oranges and 1 lemon, 2 chopped apples, 100g of brown sugar, 1tbsp of black treacle, 150g of melted margarine or any dairy free spread and a swig of brandy.

I mixed all togerher in a bowl and left it on the counter with cover until the following night and put it in jars. I did this 3 times over 3 night ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

Christmas clean when I grew up was hoovering, oven, windows and brass. The windows was the one me and my brother tried to avoid.

Now its get the AC cleaned and power hose the paving out back.

Jude13 wrote: »
    Christmas clean when I grew up was hoovering, oven, windows and brass. The windows was the one me and my brother tried to avoid.

Now its get the AC cleaned and power hose the paving out back.

Jude I forgot about the brass :)

I'm nearly sure I popped a post up here earlier about the big christmas clean.

It's essentially a big deep clean but add in defrosting the freezer , cleaning inside and out presses , washing all curtains or wooden blinds , dogs or pets booked in for deep groom / worming if needed , do a clear out of all clothes wardrobes , Polish all silverware for christmas , paint skirting boards and doors ( if white and you have kids / pets ) .

I have a folder where I break the jobs down week by week to be done from November to December :) I may have slight ocd :p

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Bathroom and Hall painted!

Tempted to do the living/kitchen but we'll leave it go another while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

On the cleaning note, has anyone ever used a company for a one off clean? The one I planned on using was booked out and no one in the Kildare forum replied

Advertisement