Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas plans/preparation 2017

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The last of the flowers died during the week so I did a tidy up and washed down the house/path. I'll probably give it a another quick clean before putting up the icicles but it won't take much!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

On the cleaning note, has anyone ever used a company for a one off clean? The one I planned on using was booked out and no one in the Kildare forum replied

If you find one I'd love to know too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Any recommendations for where the best place to buy bigbolastic containers for toys would be? Need to make space for all the new ones that will be arriving soon so want to put the outgrown toys up in the attic but the price of some of the boxes is mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

If you find one I'd love to know too!

Nothing currently. Sent a list to one company this weekend and they came back asking me all the questions I had already answered which didn’t bode well....

Any recommendations for where the best place to buy bigbolastic containers for toys would be? Need to make space for all the new ones that will be arriving soon so want to put the outgrown toys up in the attic but the price of some of the boxes is mad

Some of the 50l one's at Mr Price for €6.99 don't seem the worst!

http://www.mrprice.ie/c/storage/157

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I just get cardboard boxes from shops and pack them into them. I write toys aged 3-4 and a few of the big things that are in the box eg. Cash register, jigsaws etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

Finally can say that my pre Christmas cleaning is done!! :D Well the house needs mopped and the living area needs a big clean but I will do that the day before we put tree up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

3 cakes made today! The house smells FESTIVELY FABULOUS!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

I got my christmas dinner ware set and I love it!!! Well it's on hold til I collect it this week :p and I finally cracked the great " which silverware set for christmas " debate I've been having for like years :pac: I got a gorgeous tiperary crystal canteen set and I can't wait to use it !

My christmas table is going to look so lush this year ! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    I got my christmas dinner ware set and I love it!!! Well it's on hold til I collect it this week :p

Where did you get it? any pics? I'd love a dinnerware set!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

olaola, I would love to make one! But I tried few years ago and it was BURNT! :( any tips? Would like to try it this weekend if I have time.

Glitz, yay!! So delighted for you! :D any pics?? ;)

olaola, I would love to make one! But I tried few years ago and it was BURNT! :( any tips? Would like to try it this weekend if I have time.

Glitz, yay!! So delighted for you! :D any pics?? ;)

There is a fruit mix by Gem which we used in the past and we were happy enough with it. You'll also need to get an extra few ingredients which are listed on the pack. It's a very simple and easy cake to make.
    My advice about cook a Christmas cake and not burn it is to cook it on a low enough temperature(but not to low) and to cover the cake with foil for the majority of the time it's in the oven.

21740056_1665769130122974_4475709250472554810_n.jpg?oh=ed55fdba6a6cba2512f2df53ab6703a5&oe=5A9D405A

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Queenalocin

Daisy78 wrote: »
    The Sauvignon Blanc range that WC do are really elegant and understated, not at all fussy. They are not cheap (around 50 euro for a set of two) but they look lovely, Arnotts stock them online. My brother gets me a set every Christmas and I've quite the collection now:)

Thanks daisy ! I will check them out that's a lovely idea for a gift especially as you've built them up over time !

I'm not mad about the fussy designs on the crystal glasses at all but it seems to be the done thing where I am anyway !
    Have a look at this place: https://www.jerpointglass.com Glass are totally non-fussy, I have been buying wine glass and tumbler glasses over the years and last Christmas I got my matching water jug. Even if your colour isn't in stock, they can make it for you so you never have to worry about it being discontinued.
    You also drive past Nicholas Mosse to get there and they do a great range of Christmas crockery. They do seconds in them as well, a bit expensive but I started with 4 plates and have been adding to my collection every year since. They keep a list of what you have so you could even get people to give you some as Christmas presents. https://nicholasmosse.com

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Queenalocin

Daisy78 wrote: »
    The Sauvignon Blanc range that WC do are really elegant and understated, not at all fussy. They are not cheap (around 50 euro for a set of two) but they look lovely, Arnotts stock them online. My brother gets me a set every Christmas and I've quite the collection now:)

Thanks daisy ! I will check them out that's a lovely idea for a gift especially as you've built them up over time !

I'm not mad about the fussy designs on the crystal glasses at all but it seems to be the done thing where I am anyway !
    Have a look at this place: https://www.jerpointglass.com Glass are totally non-fussy, I have been buying wine glass and tumbler glasses over the years and last Christmas I got my matching water jug. Even if your colour isn't in stock, they can make it for you so you never have to worry about it being discontinued.
    You also drive past Nicholas Mosse to get there and they do a great range of Christmas crockery. They do seconds in them as well, a bit expensive but I started with 4 plates and have been adding to my collection every year since. They keep a list of what you have so you could even get people to give you some as Christmas presents. https://nicholasmosse.com

I'll take a pic of it later on going to pick it up today while Mr glitz minds the boys :) my canteen set is a tiperary crystal one on lay away for me when it was on special offer. Down from 400 to 179 :)

Here they are ! They may not be to everyone's taste but I love them ! I just prefer a more modern look than the traditional tartan or red or Nordic styles so will love looking at these for years. Paul costello range from dunnes. Mostly sold out now and not expected to re stock :(

White plate with a metallic gold leaf design on dinner plate and side plate has a metallic gold design around outter ring. Loovvvee them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

They are fab Glitz.

I started last night - I was cleaning down my dresser as I use it for my Christmas delph - and I decided when I had it cleared off, I'd just pull out the Christmas stuff now. So I did a swap - I don't have all my Christmas bits on it yet as some are in the attic, but I have made a start. I also have my shelf cleared for my nativity scene.....ooh the excitement......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Didn't sleep great last night I was awake early I got my remaining kitchen presses done, 2 black sacks filled one for charity shop and one for dump
    Made a stew for dinner let that cook slowly so I concentrate on getting the decorations down from the attic, just need Himself to get the tree for me from the attic hopefully get it up tomorrow

I have started to use this recipe. TOTALLY fuss free, great result. Has never failed me! https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/nov/17/how-cook-perfect-christmas-cake
    Other than soaking it overnight, you'll have it lashed in the oven in no time.

Have been blitzing the house. All the upstairs is sparkling, moved everything and hoovered, dusted & mopped (avec bleach) it's FAB. Did the bathroom yesterday, left a breadsoda paste on the cast iron bath and it's come up a DREAM :D Gonna wait nearer the tree time (8th Dec) to do downstairs.

• Advertisement

New tree will be here by Wednesday according to my email delivery notice and I'm currently writing up a list of jobs to get done for next week.

I'm a bit behind this year as everyone has been home unwell for the last week so I'm looking forward to reclaiming the house and getting back into a good routine with the house work again !

Oven and extractor fan are being cleaned today! I can't wait!

I've also managed to get one freezer emptied so going to defrost that this evening & give the fridge a good cleanout too! Top shelf has an awful lot of suspect jars! Every time I clean out the fridge, I put them back in "just in case". It's time to be ruthless, I need space for the Christmas shop! :D

Did my freezer yesterday, the fridge can wait till next week it’s not too bad
    I hear you Cheerlouth I’ve been cut throat the past week to 10 days using freezer contents and fridge contents
    One of my kitchen presses has gotten cluttered up since I did them a few weeks ago I need to get in at that the space would be handy for when my mam comes to stay as she has slot of medication and supplements she has to take daily
    There’s a few other jobs need doing I’ll get my OH to get stuck in with me the weekend

Oven clean is just finished! It's so beautiful looking! Makes me not want to cook again in case I ruin it! :p It really is the best 50quid's spending!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,172 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I have left it too late to post cards to the American cousins.
    Can anybody recommend a site for free ecards, I'd especially like to upload my own photos.
    Thanks.

To thine own self be true

Final going over of the kitchen presses done, fridge cleaned too, most of the big shop done just a few it’s left to buy towards the end of next week

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Gifts wrapped this evening. It took way longer than expected but I had fun. I just need to get one more roll of paper that the toddler hasn't seen yet so the santa pressies are in different paper.

I've mislaid a small bag of stocking stuff. A box of kinder eggs, fun snaps and hair gel. God knows where I put it but I woke the house trying to find it just now.

So pressie wise I just have to stuff the stocking on Christmas Eve and assemble two items. I think I'll do that alone, hubby and I don't do flatpack well together.

I have Tesco ordered for the 23rd so between now and then have to clear the presses and freezer of non-Christmas foods. Beans and pasta it is for the next few days :D

Christmas Week & my preparations seem to have stalled! Am working until Wednesday so on Thursday, I need to do the big clean, change all the bedsheets, wrap the presents & assess the Santy situation while the kids are at creche! Friday I need to get my nails done & get stuck into my pile of ironing! Want to have Saturday as a day to enjoy with the kids and go for a walk & get a McDonalds or something! Also need to pick up Dustin & Peppa too cos I'll be cooking them on Christmas Eve before I go to the hairdressers! And somewhere between now and Wednesday, I need to write the last of our Christmas cards and get them posted! And I need to get one of our neighbours a present for her 80th birthday! And breatheeeeeeeeee!

Advertisement