Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum funds for working visa

Options
  • 18-08-2017 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

I know the minimum you need to have in your bank account is €3,600, but I'm just wondering how strict they are on this really? If you had €3,000 for example would they really make a fuss? Also do they always check your bank statement on entering the country?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Generally they don't ever check unless you were flagged for some other reason and they looked into it. They get 10's of thousands of WHV coming into the country each year. I think you only need to have access to the funds. So if you have a credit card, funds family can send you then you should be ok I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Its good to have for your own good, australia can get very expensive if youre not working. But i haven't known of anyone who has been checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I never even got asked questions if I remember correctly. Literally handed the passport over, stamped and wandered off to get sniffed by the dogs and that was that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

I never even got asked questions if I remember correctly. Literally handed the passport over, stamped and wandered off to get sniffed by the dogs and that was that.

Heading a similar direction in November, is the queue long in the airport immigration then or pretty seamless usually?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Heading a similar direction in November, is the queue long in the airport immigration then or pretty seamless usually?

Which airport are you landing in? Time of year doesn't affect the queue at immigration as much as the time of day that you land and number of flights landing at that time. It shouldn't really take more than an hour in most cases from when you land to getting through immigration.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

When I arrived in Sydney in Feb I was surprised at how little interaction there was with customs. Entry is more or less automated. They would only enquire if something flagged id say. Still though, Australia is expensive so you should try have at least that much in your a/c to get started.

Also getting through immigration took very little time from my recollection. The automated systems make it much faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

aido79 wrote: »
    Which airport are you landing in? Time of year doesn't affect the queue at immigration as much as the time of day that you land and number of flights landing at that time. It shouldn't really take more than an hour in most cases from when you land to getting through immigration.

Landing into tullamarine in Melbourne, envisage arriving at around 7 in the evening. Not that it's a huge deal really just moreso wondering what to expect. I've been a Ryanair baby until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Landing into tullamarine in Melbourne, envisage arriving at around 7 in the evening. Not that it's a huge deal really just moreso wondering what to expect. I've been a Ryanair baby until now.

Ive never flown international into melbourne but other airports generally allow irish passport to do the self scan, so its unlikely youll even come into contact with an immigration officer (unless you get flagged for any particular reason, like youve declared something).

Advertisement