Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTTH BROADBAND

Options
  • 18-08-2017 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

has anyone in donegal had any experience with fibre to the home broadband.

just wondering is it all it is cracked up to be or is it just Eir hyping up another product

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Dont have it myself but what are they promising generally and have they given you a specific speed range that you would expect to achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Stops 4 poles from my house so no time ill be getting more than 3MB anytime soon

I'd love to find out !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

As the fibre goes straight to your house, you'll get the full 1000mb if you want. However there'll be 100, 300 and 1000mb packages on offer for different prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭creaghadoos

was advised by Eir to only order the 150mb, told me it would be all you would ever need

Have you checked to confirm that your house is available for FTTH? Click on the link below and select NGA Fibre Broadband Network.

http://www.openeir.ie/Our_Network/

Be very wary of the promises that salespeople make. They'll tell you anything to get you signed up. If you spot the guys working along the road they'll probably give you a more accurate connection date.

• Advertisement

Technique wrote: »
    Have you checked to confirm that your house is available for FTTH? Click on the link below and select NGA Fibre Broadband Network.

http://www.openeir.ie/Our_Network/

Be very wary of the promises that salespeople make. They'll tell you anything to get you signed up. If you spot the guys working along the road they'll probably give you a more accurate connection date.

checked the eircode already, all good
    as for the promises from salespeople, this is why i put this question up here, i have had countless pushy sales before and just want to hear from folk who have this service

The promises around speed will be correct - you're getting fibre directly to your front door. The issue is with promises around connection date. They'll tell you anything to get you to sign up.

The promises around speed will be correct - you're getting fibre directly to your front door. The issue is with promises around connection date. They'll tell you anything to get you to sign up.

fingers crossed i do hope you are wrong,

well, you were 100% correct,
    promised installation date has passed and no eir.

please beware of any salesperson offering Eir fibre, cold calling and offering a great service. the worst thing is that he promised that he would always be at the end of the phone to discuss any problems. he doesn't answer calls

currently being sold door to door in DRUNG, QUIGLEYS POINT AREAS.

please beware of any salesperson offering Eir fibre, cold calling and offering a great service. the worst thing is that he promised that he would always be at the end of the phone to discuss any problems. he doesn't answer calls

Let rip over in the Eir talk to forum :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Fibre312

As an Eir representative myself you shouldn't be told it's a promised date. When you sign and read the terms and conditions it clearly states your installation date cannot be guaranteed. When your order is input in to the work tablet it is merely a preferred installation date. As for the rep not answering his phones he's a twat. Just saying.

Fibre312 wrote: »
    As an Eir representative myself you shouldn't be told it's a promised date. When you sign and read the terms and conditions it clearly states your installation date cannot be guaranteed. When your order is input in to the work tablet it is merely a preferred installation date. As for the rep not answering his phones he's a twat. Just saying.
    i had placed an order online and cancelled it (as advised) in favour of a local and available salesman. i do know that these things can have teething troubles but don't promise the most seamless rollout if it can't be achieved.

not answering the phone is the biggest nuisance of all

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Watch out for the supposedly unlimited broadband with a 1tb limit.

There's a thread in the Eir forum about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Map says fibre will be in my area in early 2018.

Any idea what prices are like? I don't need mad fast broadband, my poxy service is good enough for Netflix etc. Only time it's an annoyance is when downloading films on Sky etc. I can't download HD content on Sky because it would take hours to download a film to the box.

i got this FTTH installed on friday afternoon
    have to say this is really really good,

great speeds no buffering streaming perfect

i got this FTTH installed on friday afternoon
    have to say this is really really good,

great speeds no buffering streaming perfect
    Who have you gone with, Eir, Digweb??

What sort of speeds are you getting compared to what the provider stated you would get?

muffler wrote: »
    Who have you gone with, Eir, Digweb??

What sort of speeds are you getting compared to what the provider stated you would get?
    had to use eir in order to get the line installed
    was promosed 150mbs and actually got 149mbs

they did say that the top speeds are really only achieved on a hardwired device, and we are using wifi

so far so good

Advertisement