Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charter sea fishing for the first time.

• 18-08-2017 7:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,335 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    My brother has invited younger son and I on a sea fishing trip in Donegal. I haven't been on a boat in the sea since I was a childer many years ago and on that occasion I got violently sick. Since then I have avoided sea fishing as the smell of the sea nauseates me. Is there anything that I can do to over come it.
    I have brought both my sons pier/beach fishing over the years but we're more at home fishing the Longford/Cavan lakes in my 17' boat.
    Also, since I cannot swim, will my automatic pfd be suitable for the sea.
    WP_20170818_003.jpg
    WP_20170818_002.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Base price wrote: »
    Hi,
    My brother has invited younger son and I on a sea fishing trip in Donegal. I haven't been on a boat in the sea since I was a childer many years ago and on that occasion I got violently sick. Since then I have avoided sea fishing as the smell of the sea nauseates me. Is there anything that I can do to over come it.
    I have brought both my sons pier/beach fishing over the years but we're more at home fishing the Longford/Cavan lakes in my 17' boat.
    Also, since I cannot swim, will my automatic pfd be suitable for the sea.
    WP_20170818_003.jpg
    WP_20170818_002.jpg

I am no expert at life vest..but i can give you a great advice..... its your life.and you have only one... i would visit sea / boat fishing shop and ask them or even purchase 100% support over water life vest... may be little more bulky but if you need it you will appreciate its size...

Thats my 2c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Whatever you get YOU NEED A CROTCH STRAP

Automatics are easier to get around in but an auto with crotch straps are hard to come by and are mad money!

Life

Regarding sea sickness watch this - there is loads more too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md5n7y-o1Aw

Worrying about it and being paranoid will ruin the trip - you will be fine, go and have fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭.red.

If the boat is over a certain size, which most charters are, you don't need to wear a life jacket. Saying that, the boat must provide them to anyone who wants one so I'd just take one from onboard.
    There's plenty of travel sickness tablets on the market too, Sturgeon (I think) are highly recommended. Bring a pack of gingernuts too as these can ease the stomach a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,335 ✭✭✭✭Base price

ardinn wrote: »

Automatics are easier to get around in but an auto with crotch straps are hard to come by and are mad money!

Life

Regarding sea sickness watch this - there is loads more too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md5n7y-o1Aw

Worrying about it and being paranoid will ruin the trip - you will be fine, go and have fun.
    Youngest has done a sea survival course and he told me that the pfd's that were used all have crotch straps. I think I will fit some sort of straps to my pfd to suit.
    BTW thanks for the video link. I will avoid coffee that morning :( and I wasn't going to consume alcohol the night before even though its a holiday for me. I will try the ear plug trick and report back.
    We went shopping today and bought 6 & 8oz weights, sets of feathers and some pre made traces and rigs. Youngest is presently tying padanosters/rigs at the moment.
    I'm really looking forward to it and I hope the weather is kind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Life

autos with crotch straps are not really that much more expensive, I have one of these. you wouldn't know you are wearing it at all, plus an extra 65N of buoyancy if you end up falling in!

Anybody can get sea sick, even people used to being on boats. Ive never been sea sick (yet), but always fear I will each time I head out!

There are a few tips that can make all the difference. Don't drink alcohol the night before, last thing you want is a hang over. Don't focus on and don't resist the rocking of the boat, go with the flow, and after a few mins you will get your sea legs. Most importantly, keep busy, if ye are catching fish we will be kept busy anyway!

Enjoy the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

I would advise to bring sandwiches and a flask of tea/coffee with you also. I find sometimes that a sandwich and a cuppa can actually help to settle you if you start feeling a bit off. Maybe that's just me though :D

You'll pick up a proper life jacket with crotch strap for €70ish. That's what my own cost. And as said they are so unobtrusive you'd forget you had it on.
    As stated above by Red most charters are big enough so that you don't have to wear one (I dont agree with at all) and they must provide one onboard for every passenger.

As regards sickness....a few donts:
    DON'T drink the night before
    I find that Im better on an empty stomach so I avoid heavy food beforehand. Now on the boat itself I eat like its my last meal including heavy greasy fry ups!! (gas cooker onboard)
    DON'T go thinking you're going to be sick or you will be!
    If you are sick DON'T lie down. I find it makes it worse. Pick a spot on the mainland/horizon and watch that.

DO enjoy yourself!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,335 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Had a great time out on the charter and I didn't feel nauseous although my brother got sick and one other person stayed in the cabin for a few hours. The weather was dry and calm for most of the day but the boat was rolling a bit when we went beyond Fanad head.

Base price wrote: »
    Had a great time out on the charter and I didn't feel nauseous although my brother got sick and one other person stayed in the cabin for a few hours. The weather was dry and calm for most of the day but the boat was rolling a bit when we went beyond Fanad head.

Great that you enjoyed it.

Its really an awful sickness....Id have decent sea legs but can also suffer from it occasionally. It really does make you turn green!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Hey not going to start a new thread for this. But there's 3 of us with a charter booked in Galway for Sunday morning, shark fishing. We had one lad cancel so if there's anyone interested in coming along just drop me a PM

Hey not going to start a new thread for this. But there's 3 of us with a charter booked in Galway for Sunday morning, shark fishing. We had one lad cancel so if there's anyone interested in coming along just drop me a PM

You Going with John Fleming? Sound man John!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

You Going with John Fleming? Sound man John!

Yep that's him. I'm totally new to the sea fishing and never been on a boat on it so be interesting

Advertisement