Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

making Irish stew

Options
  • 18-08-2017 8:09pm
    Site Banned Posts: 60 ✭✭

Ok so I am Irish but it has been a while since I cooked. Family coming home they have been away for 3 months and I want to make an Irish stew.

The last time I did it I used the following:

2 large onions
    4 large Carrots
    ½ stewing steak
    8 large potatoes
    Salt & pepper (personal preference)

But I also used Oxtail Soup as we like that flavour, but I was told recently that not meant to be added as it ruins the meal, but we like it. Then I was told I had to cook the had to put the carrots, Onions stewing steak and potatoes in one pot together in water and bring to the boil??

is that correct??

How do you do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

my wife puts turnips in it, runs through me within a half hour everytime, and she never stops stiring it by the time it's ready it's in mush, [don't be stiring it,] great to get the veg in one piece, put the onions in maybe near the end they stay together but get lovely and soft. have to say after all that it's very tasty[she's looking over my shoulder.]

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

For a beef stew I'd use a couple of beef OXO cubes, a few splashes of Worcestershire sauce & a couple of bay leaves. I'd probably also add a couple of sticks of celery.

'Irish Stew' is traditionally made with mutton (scrag end or neck chops). Barley & thyme being commonly used too.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Honest, make it how you remember it.

If the family expects oxtail soup, include it :) It will probably thicken the stew as well. Salt and umami too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 douzer77

After years of googleing and comparing this is how i do my stew:

2 lbs stewing beef (dredged in flour and salt)
    3 of the gel stocks 1 beef 1 dark beef and 1 veg made up with between 1 / 1.5 litres of water
    Bay leaf
    splash worchestire sauce
    2 Tablespoons Tomato puree
    Onions
    Carrotts - you can also use celery / turnip / parsnip

* I've seen Star Anise put in, but I personally don't use it any more but people who like star anise say it works well with the beef.

Fry up onions in oil and then remove
    Fry up meat till brown and then return onions
    Stir in T Puree, Worhestire Sauce and Star Anise (if using - remove at end of cooking before serving)
    stir in stock.

I always make mine up the night before and then put it in slow cooker for up to 8 hours the following day, but you could always cook if for an hour the night before on a cooker and reheat the next day. It ALWAYS taste better the next day or day after that. I've know people leave it for up to 4/5 days but mine never last that long.

Now again this is not technically Irish Stew as i always use beef but its one of my family's favourites.

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

In my book, Irish stew is made with mutton (almost unobtainable nowadays). As with most stew dishes, it's a way of making the inferior cuts palatable.

Use floury potatoes; they will provide the thickening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I usually mix the oxtail soup with a can of Guinness rather than water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I throw in some anchovies.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

Ok so I am Irish but it has been a while since I cooked. Family coming home they have been away for 3 months and I want to make an Irish stew.

The last time I did it I used the following:

2 large onions
    4 large Carrots
    ½ stewing steak
    8 large potatoes
    Salt & pepper (personal preference)

But I also used Oxtail Soup as we like that flavour, but I was told recently that not meant to be added as it ruins the meal, but we like it. Then I was told I had to cook the had to put the carrots, Onions stewing steak and potatoes in one pot together in water and bring to the boil??

is that correct??

How do you do it?

First time I made a stew I was going by memory from how my mum used to cook it. One pot. F€ck all that washing up afterwards! Or better still, cook it in the slow cooker. If I'm using the slow cooker I brown the stewing beef first, or if a pot I just bung everything in together - meat, onions, spuds, carrots, parsnips, salt and water. About half an hour before it's cooked I add the oxtail soup. Simmer that for a few mins then add in the dumplings.
    But sure, make it how you and your family like it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭Corvo

Stew is just one of those meals that you just bundle together whatever you have at hand. Some recipes will point towards the grey watery mutton broth, which whilst nice, always reminds me of something they would serve you in an Irish bar in America.

My mother makes it with some oxtail added it also, it helps thicken and rounds it off nicely. But its all down to personal preference.

Irish stew is made with mutton and thickened with potatoes. Veg included diced potato, onion, celery, carrots and parsnips. A pinch of herbs, salt and pepper plus some pearl barely. Bung the lot in a saucepan or casserole dish with water or stock and cook on hob, in oven or slow cooker for a few hours (longer in slow cooker)

• Advertisement
Advertisement