Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do I sell premium Guatemalan coffee in Ireland ?

• 18-08-2017 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

The coffee is top notch and there is a decent market for it in the states but none being imported into Ireland at the moment I believe? Locals don't really know hot to market it. A few sell what they can online.

I have a source and I brought back a few pounds of roasted beans grown in Antigua. Going door to door by coffee shops doesn't seem the best plan (or maybe I should?) .

Any ideas?

Thanks for help,
    BT

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

bigandtall wrote: »
    The coffee is top notch and there is a decent market for it in the states but none being imported into Ireland at the moment I believe? Locals don't really know hot to market it. A few sell what they can online.

I have a source and I brought back a few pounds of roasted beans grown in Antigua. Going door to door by coffee shops doesn't seem the best plan (or maybe I should?) .

Any ideas?

Thanks for help,
    BT

https://badgeranddodo.ie/shop/guatemala-el-jade/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Any ideas?

Thanks for help,
    BT
    I would say, you just have no idea , how much top quality coffee around here and how difficult competition is.
    Beans roasted locally , 1-5 days old , from all around the world.
    Best of luck, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bigandtall

donnacha wrote: »
    alec76 wrote: »
    I would say, you just have no idea , how much top quality coffee around here and how difficult competition is.
    Beans roasted locally , 1-5 days old , from all around the world.
    Best of luck, anyway.

Yes, I obviously don't. Perhaps door to door is the way to go after all. Or win on price? It will cost me about 8 euro per pound to purchase . That's 8 euro per 450g of coffee beans. So I was planning to sell for about 20euro/kg of coffee bean. How does that rank with the current competition do you know?

Re roasting beans locally - someone actually imports them and roasts them here? Surely it would be cheaper to do abroad?

Just out of curiosity - who do starbucks, costa etc purchase their coffee from ? And what about your smaller local coffee shop. What dictates their decision to purchase coffee and off who?

Thanks !

Edit : As you can tell im quite clueless it's not my area. Just have an interest. Thanks for being patient

• Registered Users Posts: 8 InstantAthiest

Any ideas?

Thanks for help,
    BT

Sounds to me like someone is winding you up.
    Have you researched any roaster in Dublin or outside it for that matter? Don't waste your time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Roast date is important for us hipster coffee heads. Since they are already roasted then just drink the coffee yourself. Nobody will buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

With what appears to be a margin of only €3.23 / kilo, it would mean you would need to be selling a substantial amount to make it worth your while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Yes, I obviously don't. Perhaps door to door is the way to go after all. Or win on price? It will cost me about 8 euro per pound to purchase . That's 8 euro per 450g of coffee beans. So I was planning to sell for about 20euro/kg of coffee bean. How does that rank with the current competition do you know?

Re roasting beans locally - someone actually imports them and roasts them here? Surely it would be cheaper to do abroad?

Just out of curiosity - who do starbucks, costa etc purchase their coffee from ? And what about your smaller local coffee shop. What dictates their decision to purchase coffee and off who?

Thanks !

Edit : As you can tell im quite clueless it's not my area. Just have an interest. Thanks for being patient

Starbucks and Costa use cheap blends which are far inferior to the likes of single origin coffee beans you'd get in most decent cafes now.
    I get your enthusiasm, but you wouldn't stand a chance in this market. Roasting and selling beans here is a very competitive, high level and established market. You really need to do a lot more research if you want to be serious about this. More and more cafes have their own roaster and do their own in-house coffee.

A lot of enthusiasts, myself included, will only buy coffee max. a week after the roast date.

Thanks to all for all the replies.

From what I understand this is a hopeless venture. The coffee was roasted last Thursday so it is quickly coming up to a week now since it was roasted which i understand is the cut off date based off what you guys are saying.

I tasted it myself but havnt got much experience with coffee so can't honestly comment

Nontheless I suppose my one last hope would be that if in the odd chance this coffee was actually mindblowingly good then maybe there would be interest . So if any coffee guru would take a pound of beans off my hands, taste it, and give a critical review ? Good bad some feedback and if you think it's average at best or just good than there's no point going ahead with this . But I'm still hopeful for a surprise however unlikely!

Please message me . The coffee is free of coarse

Thanks guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

If it's nice I'll buy some €10 for 500g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

RasTa wrote: »
    If it's nice I'll buy some €10 for 500g

Same here. Just out of curiosity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Yeah, same if you're willing to sell some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I'll take some free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Thanks for the replys guys,

I really can't take any money for this. Wouldn't feel right. Just if you give me an honest opinion and feedback I'd appreciate that. I've got the first 3 posters up there (RasTa, Slaphead07, J_E) I'll private message you all now. Not sure how it's roasted (again poor knowledge coming through) but maybe once I deliver to you connoisseurs you could tell me.

Edit: sorry also realized if any additional information is needed , such as alec76's inquire, I can always contact the supplier and producer and ask. Still learning here so sorry about the lack of info. thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Ok, feedback time!
    Just got to try it today as an espresso and while it's a really nice coffee it does taste a little thin and flat with a struggling crema, I suspect it was roasted about a month ago, maybe more. That's not always a big thing with me but with this coffee it's made a difference. That's a huge pity because I can still taste really nice chocolatey, blackberry notes here with a subtle acidity.

I might try it in an aeropress later in the week. It's a lot more forgiving than an espresso. I'd actually say that could be pretty good.

Advertisement