Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Speed should I expect to get on Fibre Broadband

Options
  • 18-08-2017 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

Hello - our cabinet in our Village is expected to get Fibre Broadband in early 2018.

- Our house is between 1.5km to 2km from the cabinet.

say that at the cabinet it will be 90mbps download speed , what roughly speed should we expect.

It will be coming from the cabinet over the existing PSTN copper wires over the existing wooden telephone poles and then into our house.

I know it could be difficult to say because factors will have to be taken into account such as how old the copper cable is and what the connections are like on the poles and have the wires been affected by weather etc ... but a rough idea has anyone got please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its max range is 1.7km, it won't be any faster or you wont be able to order at all. *

With those conditions either new tech Huawei are testing will be releases to give you 20-30Mb or you'll get FTTH between 2018 and 2022.

*assumes cab is the central one/only serving the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

ED E wrote: »
    Its max range is 1.7km, it won't be any faster or you wont be able to order at all. *

With those conditions either new tech Huawei are testing will be releases to give you 20-30Mb or you'll get FTTH between 2018 and 2022.

*assumes cab is the central one/only serving the village.

thanks very much for the info - typically as per normal, i'm gonna be loosing out in the Fibre Broadband stakes. Wish we lived nearer to the cabinet, but such is life

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Distance vs speed chart for VDSL/FTTC from eir

untitled2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

The Cush wrote: »
    Distance vs speed chart for VDSL/FTTC from eir

untitled2.jpg

thanks for that - thats a handy chart to have.

So looks like could be 7mbps for me maybe then :( - right at the end of the line I reckon

Advertisement