Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary insurance transfer question?

Options
  • 19-08-2017 1:12am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

If you were to temporarily transfer the insurance off your current car onto a UK reg plate would a named driver be insured to drive the British car back to Ireland?

I'm a named driver myself and my 60+ father has me on his policy for when I go home at weekends or spend a week during the summer etc. as I could drive him and my mother around if necessary. I have a company vehicle myself which gives me personal use of it also but I actually have no insurance policy in my own right and there would be no way for me to covered using the company insurance short of buying a new policy myself.

What is happening is my father is keen to buy a classic car (weak sterling) and there is several of the type he's after in the UK but he himself wouldn't be up for the drive over from London etc. anymore but I'd go and collect it and drive it back on the ferry if there was some-way for me to be covered temporarily and be fully legal. I'm 30+ and have a full clean Irish licence just not a policy in my own name for the last 6 years since I got my company vehicle as there was no need and Insurance was so expensive when I was younger also. My GF is also changing the car shortly and thinking of adding me to her policy so I could use that occasionally if necessary.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,788 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Ask your insurer for confirmation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Ask your insurer for confirmation.

The branch office of Axa is closed until Monday as my father is with Axa. I'm also considering renting a van and car transporter if necessary but this would be a whole load of expense and trouble when I could just drive it myself if I can get sorted insurance wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Sorry if this is a bit late OP. I did this twice (under my Wife's Policy). 1st time was because I was buying a classic and my own Insurer (Quinn, now Liberty) wouldn't cover anything more than 20 years old.
    The 2nd time was simply because my own Insurer wanted €40 for a Temporary Transfer and my Wife's insurer did it for nothing. I travelled alone both times and double checked with her Insurer that this was OK. 1st time she was with AXA....I cannot recall who she was insured with on the 2nd Trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a bit late OP. I did this twice (under my Wife's Policy). 1st time was because I was buying a classic and my own Insurer (Quinn, now Liberty) wouldn't cover anything more than 20 years old.
    The 2nd time was simply because my own Insurer wanted €40 for a Temporary Transfer and my Wife's insurer did it for nothing. I travelled alone both times and double checked with her Insurer that this was OK. 1st time she was with AXA....I cannot recall who she was insured with on the 2nd Trip.

If your wife explained the 1st time that she was doing temp car transfer to Uk during service of her car then Axa prob down no probs but it u had of explained that she was actually buying the uk car and actually not her but addl driver was travelling to Uk to drive it home then you'd not of had it so easy.. just aaying

cplwhisper wrote: »
    u had of explained that she was actually buying the uk car and actually not her but addl driver was travelling to Uk to drive it home then you'd not of had it so easy.. just aaying

That is exactly the way it happened.....after translating your post to something meaningful :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    That is exactly the way it happened.....after translating your post to something meaningful :D

Sorry was sleep-texting..
    If u call insurer and say 'my car is getting service and being supplied with Uk for few days' no questions are asked and all 100% as u won't own other car

If u call insurer and say my addl driver wants to travel to Uk and buy us a new car then temp transfer will be turned down as own car cases will be permanent transfer only

It was 8 years ago in fairness. But I/she did exactly as I said. She rang AXA, explained that we were buying a Classic in the UK and that I (named Driver on her Policy) was travelling over to collect it on my own.
    AXA said that this was no problem, all they wanted was the UK Reg. The Policy was temporarily transferred to the UK car for 48 hours with no charge.
    The only aspect that may have helped was that we are talking about a Classic Car, which was never going to be the main Car and was always going to insured under a Classic Policy once re-registered. The OP is in a similar position.

Advertisement