Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining 2 x buildings 30m apart

Options
  • 19-08-2017 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭

HI

I havea friend who need to extend his internet to a garage, these are 30m apart and have direct line of site.

whats the best wireless setup to use for this

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

tech wrote: »
    HI

I havea friend who need to extend his internet to a garage, these are 30m apart and have direct line of site.

whats the best wireless setup to use for this

Thanks

A pair of Nanostation M5's to make the point to point link
    https://www.irishwireless.net/locom5

Than add an access point for wireless coverage
    https://www.irishwireless.net/uap-ac-lite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭tech

Hi was looking at the NanoStation M5 whats the difference between these?

Hi was looking at the NanoStation M5 whats the difference between these?

It's just an ever so slightly smaller antenna and therefore cheaper, it's only 30m, not a huge distance so they would work well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭tech

cool i was on the right track, I assume easy enough to setup ??

cool i was on the right track, I assume easy enough to setup ??

Yep, very easy. This is the way to do it
    https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/205142890-airMAX-How-to-Configure-a-Point-to-Point-Link-Layer-2-Transparent-Bridge-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If it's a garage it's probably electrical feed from the house mains , easiest option is a pair of power line converters / home plugs

TP-Link 600 Mbps Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, No Configuration Required, UK Plug (TL-PA4010KIT V1.20) - Pack of 2 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BECPIMC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ZFaMzbFJ1PB95

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

What range do those m5s have?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

What range do those m5s have?
    Several kilometers if installed carefully. Speed drops of course with distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

niallb wrote:
    Several kilometers if installed carefully. Speed drops of course with distance.

That's fairly impressive. I'm looking at a set up of about 400m and think these would be perfect.

Take a look at the other ubnt products too. Their powerbeam stuff will give probably give you most of 150Mb at that distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

I have installed 2 x external TP-link 2.4GHz 300Mbps 9dBi Outdoor CPE (model CPE210) in order to extend my broadband/wireless between two buildings approx.15 meters apart. My broadband connection is 240mb (but only get 100mb using wireless on my macbook, which I think is possibly normal loss of speed over wifi). Have the master CPE connected via ethernet to the Virgin router in the main house, and there is direct line of sight to the second "client" CPE210 which is hard-wired via ethernet to a second router in the garden building. I did a speed test and am only getting 10mpbs wifi on a Macbook in the garden office, which seems very poor. Would have expected some loss of speed, but not this much. Any suggestions re. improving the signal to the client CPE?

What's your signal and noise level

What's your signal and noise level

Am away for a few days. As far as I remember, when the boosters were installed the signal between the two units was strong. Will have to re-test when I get back and check the noise level but I don't think it was excessive. No point discussing it till I can get the data, hope you dont mind if post again in a few days.

Plug your macbook into the router by ethernet before worrying about anything else. If you still get 10Mb it's the link, but if it's significantly higher make sure that you're not still linking back to the house! What model is the router in the second building?

niallb wrote: »
    Plug your macbook into the router by ethernet before worrying about anything else. If you still get 10Mb it's the link, but if it's significantly higher make sure that you're not still linking back to the house! What model is the router in the second building?

The macbook doesnt have an ethernet port unfortunately.:(

TSQ wrote: »
    The macbook doesnt have an ethernet port unfortunately.:(

Get a laptop that has one and test. You need to eliminate the wireless link to the laptop as a problem to troubleshoot

Advertisement