Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tina Satchwell News updates MOD NOTE POST ONE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Dannythedog

Day Lewin wrote: »
    In the photo attached to that article, it appears that Tina has a little tattoo above the left breast.
    This may help someone to identify her. It wasn't mentioned before, if I recall correctly. Blonde hair can be dyed easily, but skin marks are permanent.

The photo was published before, several times.
    Tattoos can actually be removed.

I wonder if she had others and why they were not mentioned in her description.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I think I saw on a picture Tina had another tattoo on her ankle.

They can be easily hidden so I'm not sure it's that helpful tbh, if she's alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

No doubt..

Beginning to feel like a donkey chasing their non existent carrots.
    Cowardly cancellation of presser yesterday.

what makes them think that is a good or clever move?

I believe RS at this stage before I believe anything they say.

Do you mean cancellation of press conference?

Do you mean cancellation of press conference?

I mean delay in placing her on Missing persons' Register
    -Delay in Searching
    -apparent failure to forensically analyse his car
    -delay in executing search warrant on his home

AND
    cancellation of presser.. thus avoiding questions from journalists.

• Advertisement

https://extra.ie/2018/03/17/news/real-life/tina-satchwell-upbringing-grandparents-mother

For many years, she believed her grandparents were her parents, and her mother her sister.

Tina, however, enjoyed a happy childhood — growing up in a close-knit area of neat terraced homes in Fermoy.

A close friend added that her disappearance came as a shock. ‘There is not a bit of badness in her. When she married and moved out of St Bernard’s Place, she would send a Christmas card to my mother every year. That’s Tina. As children we would hang out together at the end of the road outside the funeral parlour and she was always great fun to be around.’ Directly across the road from Tina’s childhood home is Joe Flood. He told how everyone knew Tina and she never had a falling out with anyone.

‘You wouldn’t recognise her if you saw childhood pictures. She was here nearly every day before she vanished. She would visit Frankie and feed the animals. He is missing her terribly and is still hoping she will walk through the door.’

A 50-minute drive from Fermoy is the seaside town of Youghal where Tina and Richard’s three-storey, terraced marital home sits next to the harbour. Locals spoke in whispers as they passed by the house. Some knew the couple to see, but few said they knew them well.

‘Richard was her first love. He was well known here because he would visit often with Tina. He’s a lovely man, very quiet and polite.’

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

https://extra.ie/2018/03/17/news/real-life/tina-satchwell-upbringing-grandparents-mother

For many years, she believed her grandparents were her parents, and her mother her sister.

Tina, however, enjoyed a happy childhood — growing up in a close-knit area of neat terraced homes in Fermoy.

A close friend added that her disappearance came as a shock. ‘There is not a bit of badness in her. When she married and moved out of St Bernard’s Place, she would send a Christmas card to my mother every year. That’s Tina. As children we would hang out together at the end of the road outside the funeral parlour and she was always great fun to be around.’ Directly across the road from Tina’s childhood home is Joe Flood. He told how everyone knew Tina and she never had a falling out with anyone.

‘You wouldn’t recognise her if you saw childhood pictures. She was here nearly every day before she vanished. She would visit Frankie and feed the animals. He is missing her terribly and is still hoping she will walk through the door.’

A 50-minute drive from Fermoy is the seaside town of Youghal where Tina and Richard’s three-storey, terraced marital home sits next to the harbour. Locals spoke in whispers as they passed by the house. Some knew the couple to see, but few said they knew them well.

‘Richard was her first love. He was well known here because he would visit often with Tina. He’s a lovely man, very quiet and polite.’

Ah good to hear she had a stable and happy childhood. I hadn't read anything like that before.

thanks for that.
    do you remember the photo with the dog in a green area at rear of a house, it looked like?I wonder if that wa the youghal house?

There's a photo where she's holding a dog toy, but it's all concrete like a more modern back of house, and it's a brown dog, so don't think it's at their house.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Is this maybe the family secret RS has been talking about? I wonder when Tina found out the truth and did it cause her upset and depression? It was a common enough situation years ago. I remember a girl I was in school with found out her mother was in fact her granny and she had some sort of nervous breakdown over it.

Yes it can have a devastating effect on a child who might be left with issues regarding trust if she was lied to . .I hope this didn't happen to Tina.

She seemed to be close to her siblings so that is a positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Did Richard ever explain the reason why they moved from Fermoy to Youghal?

She had family and a BF in Fermoy but in Youghal seemed only to have Richard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

dense wrote: »
    I read here that the "informant" whom RS met at TV3 studio also purportedly had information regarding Philip Cairns.

Is there any more information about that?
    How did it become public knowledge?

Described by the Gardaí as "helpful but confused" - makes a habit of "recognising" missing persons which ain't really so.

dense wrote: »
    I read here that the "informant" whom RS met at TV3 studio also purportedly had information regarding Philip Cairns.

Is there any more information about that?
    How did it become public knowledge?
    Yeah, was Reported in Indo on same day as he did another interview.

BTW- the suitcases weren't pink, they were black as reported by UK Times, linked a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭SheroP

Hi guys
    Just to let you know Richard is on today fm now

• Registered Users Posts: 25 FatBallerina

Listening to him on Today FM there and he mentioned Tina used to go into a salon in Fermoy where the owner said one of her staff was depressed and depressed people are selfish. Interestingly one of my friends worked in a beauty salon in Fermoy some years ago and said her boss was always complaining about a staff member being depressed and selfish. I wonder is RS actually telling a true story there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

For someone claiming the press loves to twist his words and made him look bad, he sure does talk to them a lot.

A radio interview is not talking to the press. He also stated during the interview earlier that he only does live interviews now on TV or radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Can someone post a link to the Today FM interview please?

A mIssing Person Case.

- Have you seen this woman.. here's a picture.
    An zero else apart from the date she was reported missing, her DOB

If the general public, is, are on the look-out for a missing person, we need a bit more, don't we?
    -Where is she likely to be?
    -What were her skill sets?
    -what kinds of places did she like to hang out?
    - what kind of music did she like?
    -What was her favourite food?
    -How could she be identified by accent, tone, voice type?

etc etc etc.

Appearances can be altered.. Tina would look completely different with black hair. She had no distinguishing features.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/comment-disappearance-of-tina-satchwell-shouldnt-be-turned-into-a-game-36716617.html

The media is instructed by law not to indulge in comment or conjecture during trials, to avoid the very real possibility that proceedings might collapse. Shouldn't the same responsibility pertain in ongoing investigations? Instead, people are effectively being encouraged to speculate about what might have happened to Tina since she was last seen, and who might be responsible if harm has indeed come to her, as if they were amateur detectives, cracking the case from the comfort of their armchairs. Insinuation is rife.

But knowing that it's impossible to control reaction to a story once it's out there, isn't it all the more important to tread carefully? The troll-baiting of Richard Satchwell has become a gruesome sport, and is invariably accompanied by lurid inferences being drawn from his body language or choice of words. There have been too many cases where the finger of suspicion has been pointed at people who turned out to be entirely innocent.

Just because he could stop, as Neil Prendeville put it to him, "keep putting your hand in the fire" does not absolve the media of responsibility for starting the fire and then asking a troubled man to thrust his fingers into the flames, by, for example, goading him into taking a lie detector test.

Richard Satchwell seems to be something of an isolated individual. He now lives alone, apart from his pets, and is suffering from depression.

If something was to happen to him, the media would have to partly shoulder the blame for adding to the pressure on him; and they're only doing so not because it might bring forward new witnesses, or add anything to the case, but for sheer divertissement.

Either Tina Satchwell is dead, or she is alive. Either Richard Satchwell had something to do with her disappearance, or he did not. None of these scenarios is an appropriate matter for light entertainment. This isn't CSI Miami. It's not some lark.

One year on from Tina Satchwell's disappearance, every effort should be directed towards solving that mystery. Instead it seems that the sensationalist media circus has become an end in itself.

It can only be hoped that the investigation is not being fatally hampered as a result.

Fair points!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Eilis O'Hanlon

March 18 2018 6:00 PM

Speaking to TV3 last summer, Richard Satchwell claimed that the media was "beginning to mislead, and, to some degree, even fabricate stories" around the still unsolved disappearance of his wife, Tina, from their home in Co Cork a few months earlier. As a result, he told Paul Byrne of 3News, he would not be giving any more interviews.

That pledge has fallen apart in the last few weeks as gardai searched Mitchell Woods near Castlemartyr on foot of information from the public. That operation ended on Friday. Tina was not found, though some items were removed for examination.

As the search continued, Richard Satchwell was once again all over the media. He's given interviews to Cork's Red FM, and to RTE One's Ray D'Arcy Show. He also appeared on Prime Time, and his face has become an almost ubiquitous presence on TV3, including Ireland AM.

The husband of Tina Satchwell, who was reported missing almost a year ago to the day, has faced criticism for, it's said, being an attention seeker, but, asked by D'Arcy last weekend what he hoped to achieve by putting himself out there, Satchwell made it clear that he has not sought this high public profile so much as had it thrust upon him.

It was RTE who'd approached him on a number of occasions, he revealed, while his much-publicised visit to Mitchell Woods as the search for his wife continued was not his idea either. "I was asked by Paul Byrne, who's been very good to me through it, if I'd go down and just visit it, because it's a place I've never been, and he thought it might help in some way." (He felt it hadn't).

Richard Satchwell could have refused any or all of these requests, but it's hard not to feel a certain unease at the media's role in his elevation to celebrity. Is it really appropriate for a man whose wife has disappeared to be a guest on a Saturday night chat show, not least when he himself admitted that the gardai at one point regarded him as a suspect. He insists that he is "innocent of any wrongdoing", and innocent people are entitled to appear in the media as often as they like, but should the media be encouraging him to do so?

The interviews themselves are not the problem. Satchwell couldn't speak more highly of Paul Byrne. Barry Cummins's reports for Prime Time have been reassuringly sensation-free. Ray D'Arcy handled his exchange with the Englishman with highly effective sympathy. Neil Prendeville is a fine broadcaster, and asked probing, insightful questions. The question is whether they ought to be doing it at all.

The media is instructed by law not to indulge in comment or conjecture during trials, to avoid the very real possibility that proceedings might collapse. Shouldn't the same responsibility pertain in ongoing investigations? Instead, people are effectively being encouraged to speculate about what might have happened to Tina since she was last seen, and who might be responsible if harm has indeed come to her, as if they were amateur detectives, cracking the case from the comfort of their armchairs. Insinuation is rife.

The media is not directly to blame for some of the more irresponsible commentary which has taken place on social media, where few of the normal rules of evidence, fair comment, or reasonable doubt, ever seem to apply.

But knowing that it's impossible to control reaction to a story once it's out there, isn't it all the more important to tread carefully? The troll-baiting of Richard Satchwell has become a gruesome sport, and is invariably accompanied by lurid inferences being drawn from his body language or choice of words. There have been too many cases where the finger of suspicion has been pointed at people who turned out to be entirely innocent.

Just because he could stop, as Neil Prendeville put it to him, "keep putting your hand in the fire" does not absolve the media of responsibility for starting the fire and then asking a troubled man to thrust his fingers into the flames, by, for example, goading him into taking a lie detector test.

Indeed, it's surprising that the Garda has not been firmer in warning against these freelance Nancy Drew acts.

Richard Satchwell seems to be something of an isolated individual. He now lives alone, apart from his pets, and is suffering from depression.

If something was to happen to him, the media would have to partly shoulder the blame for adding to the pressure on him; and they're only doing so not because it might bring forward new witnesses, or add anything to the case, but for sheer divertissement.

Either Tina Satchwell is dead, or she is alive. Either Richard Satchwell had something to do with her disappearance, or he did not. None of these scenarios is an appropriate matter for light entertainment. This isn't CSI Miami. It's not some lark.

One year on from Tina Satchwell's disappearance, every effort should be directed towards solving that mystery. Instead it seems that the sensationalist media circus has become an end in itself.

It can only be hoped that the investigation is not being fatally hampered as a result.

Sunday Independent

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/comment-disappearance-of-tina-satchwell-shouldnt-be-turned-into-a-game-36716617.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-PlentyOhToole and weldoninhio 24 hour thread ban. Reason- both being dicks. Keep it up and it'll become permanent. Post before 11pm tomorrow night in this thread and it's a permanent and a forum ban.

Yes, there might have been some locals involved, I don't know, it wasn't said in the articles.

I'm sure if people from Youghal weren't involved, they may have been told not to get involved, or maybe it's just that the couple were just so private that it didn't seem appropriate.

It does indicate however that maybe Tina was not as popular or socially extroverted as Richard alleged. He seemed to think she was well known around Youghal.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/A-year-after-she-disappeared-Richard-Satchwell-speaks-about-the-search-for-Tina-b5ff1bba-efaa-45dd-8afb-b9551cf7d5c7-ds

Recounting the final few days they spent together in March 2017, Richard said everything seemed normal.

“It was our first St Patrick’s Day in Youghal. We stayed in Youghal, went to the parade and got a takeaway. We stayed in all day Saturday and went to a car boot sale on Sunday.”

Discussing the possibility that Tina has moved on with her life and simply does not want to hear from Richard, Mr Satchwell said: “If I found out she was alive and well, you could move on.

Richard said the local community in Youghal has started to reach out to him, a year on from his wife’s disappearance.

“People are coming up to me saying ‘you are not on your own. If you need anything just knock’.”

He spoke of the emotional turmoil he has endured over the past 364 days.
    “I find myself talking to her pictures. Some days I just go into a void. There are times when a few hours lapse without me realising it. I am in a trance.”

Mr Satchwell said every day when he wakes up in the morning, he wishes he could make his wife Tina a cup of tea and a slice of toast.

TINA SATCHWELL’S husband said he drove 10,000km searching for his wife in the first month of her disappearance.

Speaking ahead of the one-year anniversary of her disappearance tomorrow, Richard Satchwell, aged 52, told the Evening Echo that he drove to all the places the pair had been to together, as well as tracing members of Tina’s family in Killarney and the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Just a heads up - tmrw is the first anniversary of Tinas disappearance. One year and no sighting at all. I hope the coming year yields at least some resolution for her family....

Here's the latest from aGS..
    It is not hopeful.. but they do validate RS 's claims that his media appearances led to tips!
    That is interesting.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/garda%C3%AD-investigating-tina-satchwell-disappearance-to-check-new-information-1.3432981

Gardaí investigating the disappearance of Cork woman, Tina Satchwell have confirmed that they are to follow up on over 30 pieces of information that they received over the last two weeks as a result of various media appearances and appeals by her husband, Richard.

“Some of them don’t sound particularly promising but it’s only when we check them out that we can fully evaluate their significance and they all have to be followed up and that will happen over the coming weeks because the focus for the last two weeks has been on the search.”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

The Suitcases:

If I remember correctly, Richard spotted two suitcases at a skip near Tesco and physically removed them to take to the Gardaí....

Was the skip itself ever checked?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

So today is the anniversary of her disappearance that we know of.

This time a year ago, she disappeared. A few days after the wash out that was St Patrick's Day 2017. While the whole country was in Shock and Mourning about the disappearance of Rescue 116.

We didn't know you had gone too.
    Wherever you are Tina I hope you're ok.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement