Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tina Satchwell News updates MOD NOTE POST ONE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Calm down, is it?
    ME? Calm down?
    when you're clearly intending to assassinate your neighbour's dog via vehicle attack in reverse?
    That denotes pre-meditation..
    That's evidence...
    #Curtains.

You ok hun?

You do know I was using what is known as a "literary device"

You can find out about them here ...

https://literarydevices.net/literary-devices/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Prob is that there are few sites because RS will not give print media interviews (Irish times or Examiner, today)

Anybody else known to the missing woman are also refusing to give press interviews.

Unfortunately the printed press here have gone down the route uk press went years ago.

Mostly salacious gossip that can have a hysterical sensationalist headline gets printed

Irish times and business post are probably exceptions though both still succumb to sensationalism now and again.

Still none of the sleuths on this forum have come up with any motive or reason. And I say sleuths in a normal respectful manner - that is what their posts depict.

But 12 months on and not one of them have ever come up with a motive. And neither have the gutter press.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Dannythedog

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Unfortunately the printed press here have gone down the route uk press went years ago.

Mostly salacious gossip that can have a hysterical sensationalist headline gets printed

Irish times and business post are probably exceptions though both still succumb to sensationalism now and again.

Still none of the sleuths on this forum have come up with any motive or reason. And I say sleuths in a normal respectful manner - that is what their posts depict.

But 12 months on and not one of them have ever come up with a motive. And neither have the gutter press.

Well, I don't believe a crime has been committed.
    Ergo, nobody is guilty or innocent.

None of the media, except eXTRA, not a fan, btw, actually did any investigative work.
    They went and interviewed the people that knew her all her life.
    The interviews were extremely sketchy, but they did give us a notion about the type of woman she was..

BUT that was the first, and only glimpse we got of her as a person... if it was accurate.

The lack of description did not help in the search for her..

we do not know which social habits she would be bound to maintain.. like compulsive hairdressing trips, for example, so we had no idea of where she would have been most likely to show up.

The media painted their own picture and it fuelled rumor.

Whether they did it spontaneously or were fed that line by the authorities is still unknown..

There was never a motive for anyone to kill her- that we know of.
    But we don't know much.

We don't know enough to search for her or how to recognise her if we ever found her.

They called it a missing person's case, when they eventually got around to calling it- some 8weeks after her disappearance.. https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/garda-appeal-for-information-on-missing-woman-tina-satchwell-45-35715395.html (May 15, 2017)

A search on her home was not conducted for 10 whole weeks
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/familys-concern-as-woman-is-now-missing-without-a-trace-from-home-for-11-weeks-35799164.html (June7,2017)

so rumor is rife.. but, think about it.

There's glaring anomalies in this investigation, a poisoned press who cannot be arst doing the legwork and finding any description of TS and who she was..
    and set like dogs in heat against the only person who spoke in the hope that his speaking would lead to her being found.

A man, self described as suicidal and depressed and heavily medicated (cRY103 radio interview)

I'm not about to add to his problems by bullying him- he had nothing to gain as a result of her departure, he had a whole lot to lose, even possibly his own life.
    29 years together and not a single DV report or charge.

This bloody circus was media-led.
    Let's call it.
    It is what it is.

On a more positive note, despite a lot of posts being deleted, the thread has had a fair amount of views so that at least might help in more people now knowing what both parties look like, which is a good thing imo.

I would agree. It would appear that despite some setbacks the gardai are continuing to investigate Tinas disappearance and as stated on Garda.ie remain
    ...extremely concerned for Tina’s safety and well being.

I do hope for her familys sake there are some breakthrough in this case....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Sure where would we be without all the armchair amateur sleuths? :rolleyes:

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Tina's sister was interviewed by the Star yesterday apparently

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DYzraTlW4AAGY5r.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Esel wrote: »
    Sure where would we be without all the armchair amateur sleuths? :rolleyes:

Don't knock it, my friend: there's a reason why detective stories sell so well! Indeed, a never-failing market.

We like the puzzle and the solving, it is an exercise in logic and reasoning - and also experience of human nature.

In this case, the missing Tina Satchwell, there is very little evidence of any kind: which adds to the intrigue. Wild speculation is fruitless: but it is still interesting to unravel the Maybe's from the Most Likely's etc.

Personally, I love amatuer sleuthing, and am thinking of starting a little private group: just to compare ideas, try new theories, and see if anyone comes up with a bright idea that solves the case!

You should. I know of course it's right that we should be sensitive to who may read our theories and insinuations but I really miss the 'old' thread.

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    Have you been to youghal?

Almost impossible that anything drifts out to sea unless it clears the harbour and then Capel Island where it's likely to be dragged inwards to Ballycotton or Ardmore. local fisherman would be quick to find anything.

weather was bad on 20 March far as I remember, would that have affected boats going out for a few days, do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

the weather for the 20th is here (Roches Point) : https://www.met.ie/climate/daily-data.asp

From what I see not too bad, a bit breezy with some stronger gusts, not too much rain (it rained the night before).

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    Have you been to youghal?

Almost impossible that anything drifts out to sea unless it clears the harbour and then Capel Island where it's likely to be dragged inwards to Ballycotton or Ardmore. local fisherman would be quick to find anything.

I agree, at low tide the estuary gets so drained out that something would need to be placed right in the middle of the river to be taken seaward, and even at that it would have to clear Ferrypoint (the sandbank that stretches towards the town from the Waterford side).

The bing map below clearly shows the tide in progress, it will explain more clearly what I was trying to put into words above. If something reached the mouth of the estuary, it looks to me like it would flow towards/along the coast either side.

Caliso Bay is accessible by car, although locals would be likely to spot anyone going there. But maybe not by night. It looks like the water goes deep very steeply there, and bathing is forbidden.

https://binged.it/2GdnIWQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,596 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

You should. I know of course it's right that we should be sensitive to who may read our theories and insinuations but I really miss the 'old' thread.

I miss it also. It did get out of hand in the last few days in places but I had to delete the stuff.

Vizzy wrote: »
    Good swimmer or otherwise, "Cold Water Shock" would probably kick in immediately, unless she was used to open water swimming.

According to a recent news reportTina was a regular and active swimmer who "went to a swimming pool every day for 15 years" when she lived in Fermoy"

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/my-arms-are-open-says-husband-of-missing-tina-satchwell-468542.html

It is of note that Youghal like fermoy has a local community swimming pool and also has open water swimming at the Front Strand. However for whatever reason Tina allegedly did not avail of the swimming facilities available to her there.

Regarding swimming in the harbour area in Youghal - there was an incident in June 2017 when 2 boys "among a group swimming in the relatively calm waters at Nelson Quay," were rescued by people present in the area at that time. It is notable that currents did not take them out of the harbour area when they got into trouble.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/ex-lifeboat-men-pull-boy-11-from-water-in-youghal-452834.html

In a fatal incident in 2013 another boy who was swimming on Youghal beach was actually swept into the harbour. Members of the Garda Water Unit carried out underwater searches for TS in Youghal harbour during the previous search of the town area but found nothing.

https://www.joe.ie/news/searches-taking-place-youghal-disappearance-tina-satchwell-598674

The harbour is directly adjacent to Grattan Street and is a busy area open to the street and is a designated area for car parking in the town with lots of foot traffic. The harbour is tidal and relatively shallow in places.

http://filmincork.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Youghal-Harbour-Quays4.jpg

In my own experience as a swimmer having been swept up in a rip current and survived - it is absolutely instinctive to keep swimming even in adverse conditions and very hard to ignore your swimming instinct etc. Added to that is the difficulties of allegedly carrying / where to put two suitcases and a lump sum of cash whilst swimming etc.

This aerial photo of Youghal Harbour shows the adjacent area and house and yard to the right hand side of the photo. The harbour is visible in the foreground of the photo. There is a large area of overgrown waste ground behind some of the properties on Grattan Street.

https://img.marinas.com/v2/df27fd34de489d9cb7fdf5b3d1faa9a58f9d30fc9d78394956975cecc45037f4.jpg

weather was bad on 20 March far as I remember, would that have affected boats going out for a few days, do you think?

yep - windy, cold, wet. High tide of 3.2m at 10.20am falling back to a low tide of 1.2m at 5pm

Boards / MT Cranium forecast published at 7am that morning...

TODAY ... Windy and cold with some sunny breaks this morning, widespread wintry showers developing by mid-day near Atlantic coasts and higher terrain inland, these spreading further east where the wintry components will be more likely to fall on higher terrain. Winds SW 50-70 km/hr will add considerable chill to temperatures only in the 6-9 C range for many (could be closer to 10 C south coast).

Tidal times https://www.tidetimes.org.uk/youghal-tide-times-20170320

Welcome to the "armchair amateur sleuths" department CeilingFly ;)
    yep - windy, cold, wet. High tide of 3.2m at 10.20am falling back to a low tide of 1.2m at 5pm
    Boards / MT Cranium forecast published at 7am that morning...

TODAY ... Windy and cold with some sunny breaks this morning, widespread wintry showers developing by mid-day near Atlantic coasts and higher terrain inland, these spreading further east where the wintry components will be more likely to fall on higher terrain. Winds SW 50-70 km/hr will add considerable chill to temperatures only in the 6-9 C range for many (could be closer to 10 C south coast).
    Tidal times https://www.tidetimes.org.uk/youghal-tide-times-20170320

Tbh not that much different from today's forecast - in 2017 Morning ok - evening not so nice but was less wet and windy than today...

Today's forecast:
    TODAY ... Overcast with rain spreading east, staying dry in Leinster until late morning, most places will eventually have 5-10 mm rain. Winds increasing gradually to reach south to southwest 60-90 km/hr by evening, veering westerly in Atlantic coastal counties with some strong gusts around midnight..(
    highs near 10 C 

Meh - fairly normal March weather imo ...

gozunda wrote: »

Tbh not that much different from today's forecast - in 2017 Morning ok - evening not so nice but was less windy than today...

Today's forecast:

Meh - fairly normal March weather imo ...

Big fan of MT here, but Youghal and South in general have it easier :) as per met eireann link I posted few posts above, it was 11 degrees, winds 28 knts approx with one stronger burst around lunchtime iirc, precipitation overnight had stopped by 9am or so, and 5 mm or such between 8-10pm.
    At Rocher point. Just recalling here, check graphs for yourselves for accuracy.
    A meh sort of day alright.

But I am impressed with Ceiling Fly sleuthing school enthusiasm. Like a natural at it.

edit : recalled the wind speed wrong, it's 14.3 knots mean speed I believe :);)

gozunda wrote: »

Just giving verifable facts - it was a not so great March day.

The deflection from the sleuths from giving any plausibe motive / reason for any criminal act is getting to a stage that I'll need two bats to fend it off.

I've yet to see anyone here or any member of the gutter press or even
    Tuggy Prendeville come up with anything.

What's plausible is she took her own life and is lost at sea. Whether she did or not, no-one knows, but its the only plausible reason at this stage.

Yes, I know how to check tides - i used to sail. Wow. Some are really scratching along the bottom for dreggs - yet still not one plausible motive / reason

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

still not one plausible motive / reason

As you well know, I gave you several possible motives a few pages back. The last time you claimed there was no possible motive and I pointed this out, my post was deleted (one for the "sleuths" there). I don't know what skin you have in the game here, but lying doesn't make your case any stronger.

Just giving verifable facts - it was a not so great March day.

Indeed. As clearly stated the weather on the 20 March 2017 on comparison was ...
    Meh - fairly normal March weather imo

Tbh not that much different from today's forecast - in 2017 Morning ok - evening not so nice but was less wet and windy than today...
    The deflection from the sleuths from giving any plausibe motive / reason for any criminal act is getting to a stage that I'll need two bats to fend it off.

I've yet to see anyone here or any member of the gutter press or even Tuggy Prendeville come up with anything. What's plausible is she took her own life and is lost at sea. Whether she did or not, no-one knows, but its the only plausible reason at this stage.

Yes, I know how to check tides - i used to sail. Wow. Some are really scratching along the bottom for dreggs - yet still not one plausible motive / reason

By this stage you should - I hope have noticed that our active mod - Freshpopcorn has specifically asked that posters should not engage in that type of speculation you are requesting at the risk of upsetting family members and others

However if you wish to accuse posters of deflection whilst they are sticking to the thread guidelines - then ya keep playing that line like some crazy CD stuck on loop.

Posters (aka 'sleuths' :rolleyes:) have previously done what you finally took the hint and did ie looked at verifiable information eg news reports on locations weather etc. But those posters did so without the need to jump up and down and scream and opine about motives and fracking plausibilities.

I leave you with the maxim that the absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence.

Here is an interesting case that highlights just that.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/11/17/nyregion/robert-durst-susan-berman-detective-struk.html

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/02/05/nyregion/35-years-later-sister-in-durst-case-is-still-looking-for-answers.html

Definitly not Sherlock Holmes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    You do know that shows like Law & Order, CSI etc are not real life documentaries? :P

After hearing many of Richard's interviews, I think the only thing detectives would get out of him is a headache. No matter how questions are put to him, he goes off on random tangents and doesn't really give specific answers.

Go on to Youtube, looks up police interrogation and you'll find some brilliant confessions through a one to one meeting.
    The burden of what happened is written all over Richard every time he's on TV. He partly wants all of this to end. With a hand around the shoulder and a friendly approach his release valve will blow, as its near capacity clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Not sure if this has been mentioned already but there’s a Prime Time missing person rewind tonight and they are focusing on Elaine O Hara.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Report on Richard Satchwell's TV3 interview yesterday: https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/my-arms-are-open-says-husband-of-missing-tina-satchwell-468542.html

He expanded on his previous comments that Tina was violent, and said that her temper flare-ups were never intentional, and that her attacks were never more than a “slap”. He said that if she slapped him once every six months, the “other 100 days were brilliant”.

Jaysus.

There's a lot of scrubland in those aerial photos around the town. If Tina did leave with 2 suitcases, and was in a distressed state, and no sign of her leaving the town has been found, then closer to home rather than father away is maybe where the searches should commence? I haven't heard of any appeal for premises owners to search their premises around the town, especially if they have been in a disused state for some time.

Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

There's a lot of scrubland in those aerial photos around the town. If Tina did leave with 2 suitcases, and was in a distressed state, and no sign of her leaving the town has been found, then closer to home rather than father away is maybe where the searches should commence? I haven't heard of any appeal for premises owners to search their premises around the town, especially if they have been in a disused state for some time.

Just a thought.
    Not sure which scrubland you mean but to get to most of it in the town itself, I think you would need to enter it through the owners front door.

Just a thought.
    I have been unable to access any media coverage before the report of her missing..

I have not accessed very local reports of the time..

If she left, I assume she left in a vehicle either from front or rear exit of her house..

His conclusion that she had departed for Fermoy may be worthy of exploration..?

She didn't walk and we have no way to know why he thought so..

I would like to see more interviews with the local people that knew her well..

I am afraid case will very soon go stone cold..

blade1 wrote: »
    Not sure which scrubland you mean but to get to most of it in the town itself, I think you would need to enter it through the owners front door.

As I said, it's just a thought. I looked at some of the arial photos of the town posted by someone else on this thread and looked like a lot of scrubland/over grown weeds/trees etc on some properties.

"Distressed state" = potentially unexpected behaviour- so expect the unexpected I imagine- who's to know how/why they might have landed at that spot. "Keeping an open mind" means being open to all possibilities and figure out the explanation another day.

If she left, I assume she left in a vehicle either from front or rear exit of her house..

I deliberately didn't assume- however, I appreciate that someone pulling two suitcases along the streets of Youghal should have, at this point, prompted some memories from someone- it's quite a long shot but still a small possibility she left as described.

I am afraid case will very soon go stone cold..

It's a mystery- the image of someone departing from their home, alone, with two suitcases is in my mind. That's what's presented to me by the media, so that's what i'm trying to work with.

Just a thought.

I would agree. The gardai are suggesting that there will be new areas covered in the search for Tina. As Tina was not observed leaving the area - then a search around the Youghal area would be logical I suppose.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/garda-receive-new-information-on-missing-tina-satchwell-case-consider-new-search-sites-36714112.html
    blade1 wrote: »

The scubland / overgrown areas are in the photo I linked to earlier ie
    https://img.marinas.com/v2/df27fd34de489d9cb7fdf5b3d1faa9a58f9d30fc9d78394956975cecc45037f4.jpg

It shows some seriously overgrown properties to the north of the houses in Grattan Street / immediately behind the houses on the street. There appears to be some access to this area from lanes between the houses - these can be seen in Google street view as well...

I don't know what kind of technology if any the Gardai employed in their first search in Youghal but as in other cases such as that of Helen Bailey in the UK - it was pure luck that they found where someone had placed the body

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4228346/Why-did-THREE-months-Helen-Bailey-s-body.html

• Registered Users Posts: 30,596 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mod noteStop the back seat moderation. The mods know if an account is rereg. If you do suspect one is just report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think there was verified witnesses at the car boot sale that talked to Tina satchwell that day.

Thanks, I didn't hear about that. But she still may not have made it home to Youghal afterwards though.

• Advertisement

Not sure if this has been mentioned already but there’s a Prime Time missing person rewind tonight and they are focusing on Elaine O Hara.

Thanks so much for the heads-up on this..

such a strange series of events... and on his birthday..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement