Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tina Satchwell News updates MOD NOTE POST ONE

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Fair enough and thanks.

Strange family dynamics though, or maybe tactical. Who knows.

Well if my family member was missing then personally I wouldn't want the media hassling me etc. I would be concentrating on what I can do to help etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

foxyladyxx wrote: »
    They would need a cadaver dog. .I don't think we have them here.

As I said above, the Gardaí have or had at least 2 cadaver dogs. Civil Defence have 2 as well. Search & Rescue organisations have a couple too.

I have had the dubious pleasure in working with some of them in "non suspicious circumstances" (suicides) and the dogs usually come up trumps if there is something there.
    The dog will search an area more thoroughly and more quickly than about 10 human searchers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Vizzy wrote: »
    As I said above, the Gardaí have or had at least 2 cadaver dogs. Civil Defence have 2 as well. Search & Rescue organisations have a couple too.

I have had the dubious pleasure in working with some of them in "non suspicious circumstances" (suicides) and the dogs usually come up trumps if there is something there.
    The dog will search an area more thoroughly and more quickly than about 10 human searchers.

Either way the guards will have access to them if they think they need them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Her family are surely keeping a low profile in all of this.

Is that telling or what? I dunno.

Did her sister not appear on the 6 O Clock news tonight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,596 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Oh ok I don't watch TV at all.

What did her family say thanks.

They want her to come home basically.

I have followed this case a good bit. There is so much I could write about it and it's near confusing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Are the searches with the dogs going on in shifts through the night?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

EIREDriver wrote: »
    Buying a pink suitcase would not be out of the ordinary unless he bought two at the same time in the same shop, in a place where people know his face and his story.

Risky as fck imo
    EIREDriver wrote: »
    As for him not knowing they'd check for DNA, as another poster has said, he doesn't seem to be the sharpest knife in the drawer.

He comes across that way. But if it was him. He's been clever enough to not be caught out after a year of investigations.

That's pretty clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

A transcription of the earlier TV3 news interview with Richard
    "Well Im hoping that Tina is out there and she is going to get in touch. I dont want to even, to be honest with you, go down the road of thinking the other way because I wont be able to cope"

"I feel sick, so yeah. And I have been in touch with Tinas family and they feel the same way. We have always got that feeling, I couldnt even sleep a wink last night. And Im not going to say I am tonight, you know, because the worry is always there"

Reporter "Richard Satchwell, Ive asked you this before. Have you anything to do with your wifes dissappearance? Did you harm her? Did you kill your wife?"

Richard "I could never harm my wife, never. And everybody who knows us knows that. My wife is there somewhere and I do believe she is going to turn up and then it can all be put to bed"

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭EIREDriver

Any Dna at all from the suitcases?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/garda%C3%AD-rule-out-link-between-suitcases-and-missing-woman-1.3367464

"Gardaí were unable to find any trace of Ms Satchwell but their investigation took an unexpected twist on July 9th when Mr Satchwell contacted them to say he had found two suitcases which looked like ones belonging to his wife at a clothes bank in the Tesco carpark in Youghal.
    The suitcases were recovered by gardaí and sent to the Forensic Science Ireland laboratory for examination. Following DNA analysis detectives are now satisfied that they did not belong to Ms Satchwell and are not linked to her or her disappearance."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

limnam wrote: »
    The guards. When they, you know. Searched the house.

They might have noticed this obsession with pink suit cases.

Plus if that was the case, it'd be more likely her DNA would be in them.

Also, the fact she didn't have a passport would suggest she wasn't much of a traveller.

Bit odd having so many suit cases and not travel anywhere.

I didn't know she didn't have a passport, just assumed she would have wanted to travel out on a fake one if she wanted to disappear.
    Maybe gardai have noted the abundance of suitcases, we don't know what they know. We just know nothing was conclusive so far.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

According to the Journal.ie the key witness only came forward last week

http://www.thejournal.ie/tina-satchwell-search-3886447-Mar2018/

In recent days, gardaí have received information leading them to the parkland. It is believed that a person acting suspiciously was spotted exiting the woods on the night Satchwell was supposed to have gone missing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

But I have not heard a word from her family nor have I seen any of them. Is that tactical or unusual I wonder?

Very good point. I haven't seen anything of them eithér. Does she have any close family I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Breaking news are saying according to the witness she was seen with a man on the day in question at the woods. Not sure if they are surmising or if it is official. This would mean she was alive arriving at the woods, and I think it was hinted there was suspicious behaviour so ... arguing ?

... with whom ?

Being seen there is no indication that she might still be there. The search is expected to take weeks. It's a major investment of Garda resources. I'm inclined to think that there must be more indications that she is there beyond a witness seeing them who probably just saw a blonde woman and a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 fuzzyduck4

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Breaking news are saying according to the witness she was seen with a man on the day in question at the woods. Not sure if they are surmising or if it is official. This would mean she was alive arriving at the woods, and I think it was hinted there was suspicious behaviour so ... arguing ?

... with whom ?

Being seen there is no indication that she might still be there. The search is expected to take weeks. It's a major investment of Garda resources. I'm inclined to think that there must be more indications that she is there beyond a witness seeing them who probably just saw a blonde woman and a man.
    The investigation in the woods is going to cost a 6 figure some. Nice bit of overtime for the army lads!

fuzzyduck4 wrote: »
    The investigation in the woods is going to cost a 6 figure some. Nice bit of overtime for the army lads!

If they find her it will be worth the money!

I'm not sure if it's being mentioned. Richard hasn't really being in contact with his own family for over twenty years.

Just closing for a little while!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Does anyone know where the car boot sale was held, and if they both went there together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

technical question regarding some posts earlier detecting mobile phones via checking a mobile phone tower of location of interest: is it possible to get information on a mobile in getting the data from the mobile phone tower even when the owner of the mobile of interest didn't do a call in that location?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

tara73 wrote: »
    technical question regarding some posts earlier detecting mobile phones via checking a mobile phone tower of location of interest: is it possible to get information on a mobile in getting the data from the mobile phone tower even when the owner of the mobile of interest didn't do a call in that location?

Yes, the phone "pings" the tower regularly to establish connection.

• Advertisement

Yes , a mobile phone pings a phone tower every few seconds, hence the gardai can track any phone as long as there is signal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

is it possible to get information on a mobile in getting the data from the mobile phone tower even when the owner of the mobile of interest didn't do a call in that location?

You can be sure that the Gardaí have already tracked where his phone has been.
    If he was in the forest area the same time as someone had spotted Tina they will already know this.

Effects wrote: »
    You can be sure that the Gardaí have already tracked where his phone has been.
    If he was in the forest area the same time as someone had spotted Tina they will already know this.

I wouldn't be so sure - am I imagining it or did the Gardaí have problems getting tower location info from a mobile provider in a case recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Gravelly wrote: »

Its a little more complex than just pinging the tower.
    In and of itself a powered on mobile phone will always attempt to connect to a celltower.
    Location is not available from a cell tower information other than in a very generalised location.
    To get more detailed location, the Gardaì make a request for further detail from the network operators.
    With this additional detail, info regarding all masts the handset was connected to.
    The handset will generally prioritise the strongest Tower, but it will ping all available towers.
    A general location can then be worked out via Triangulating the towers pinged and the ping time/connection strength.
    The more towers pinged the more accurately a location can be determined, 2 towers minimum are needed to give enough data to use this method.
    This data can then be assessed against the claimed movements of the suspect to assist in refuting or confirming their account of movements.

Where it is at odds with the suspect's alibi, movement can be plotted on a triangulated basis with a reasonable degree of confidence.
    This allows a circumstantial proof of a suspects whereabouts at particular time.

For definitive mobile phone location data, handset GPS logs can be reviewed aswell as Exif data from any application tracking apps on the handset(assuming of course a GPS handset with location enabled is used).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I wouldn't be so sure - am I imagining it or did the Gardaí have problems getting tower location info from a mobile provider in a case recently?

I'm not sure about that. Depends on the case perhaps.
    I'm not completely up top speed but I believe Graham Dwyer is challenging use of mobile phone data used to track him. Breaching data protection or something.

banie01 wrote: »
    In and of itself a powered on mobile phone will always attempt to connect to a celltower.
    Location is not available from a cell tower information other than in a very generalised location.
    To get more detailed location, the Gardaì make a request for further detail from the network operators.
    With this additional detail, info regarding all masts the handset was connected to.
    The handset will generally prioritise the strongest Tower, but it will ping all available towers.
    A general location can then be worked out via Triangulating the towers pinged and the ping time/connection strength.
    The more towers pinged the more accurately a location can be determined, 2 towers minimum are needed to give enough data to use this method.
    This data can then be assessed against the claimed movements of the suspect to assist in refuting or confirming their account of movements.

Where it is at odds with the suspect's alibi, movement can be plotted on a triangulated basis with a reasonable degree of confidence.
    This allows a circumstantial proof of a suspects whereabouts at particular time.

For definitive mobile phone location data, handset GPS logs can be reviewed aswell as Exif data from any application tracking apps on the handset(assuming of course a GPS handset with location enabled is used).

Jaysus dude - simple question, simple answer.
    is it possible to get information on a mobile in getting the data from the mobile phone tower even when the owner of the mobile of interest didn't do a call in that location?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Effects wrote: »
    You can be sure that the Gardaave already tracked where his phone has been.
    It's obvious now that he passed castlemartyr forest on the way to and from car boot sale location and youghal so mobile cell location doesn't need to confirm that but if he returned again that nite maybe after doing the deed earlier in the day to cover his tracks without his phone ,it might be harder to prove he was there during these times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

thanks for that, that's very telling and interesting.

so I would strongly like to presume the investigators did this and tracked his mobile phone movements the 4 days after her disappearance. It would be very telling whether he left it at one place, i.e.at home for that days or where he's been.
    The guards must definately know a lot about Richard Satchwells whereabouts in the 4 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

so I would strongly like to presume the investigators did this and tracked his mobile phone movements the 4 days after her disappearance. It would be very telling whether he left it at one place, i.e.at home for that days or where he's been.
    The guards must definately know a lot about Richard Satchwells whereabouts in the 4 days.

Did he bring his phone with him though? If he was smart enough to leave hers in the house he surely left his at home?

• Advertisement

This is presuming that he had his mobile phone with him moving to different locations..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement