Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part time rights in relation to cut hours/contracts

• 19-08-2017 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Just looking for any advice i can get here.
    I work as a chef in a hotel kitchen and have been employed here since February however as i am in college ive only done full time hours over summer with an average of 40 to 45 hours a week.
    Recently a new head chef has been reducing my hours every week but also increasing the days i work but is doing this to no one else while also putting me down to do kitchen porter even though it's not my job and i have worked as a chef the entire time up to this point.
    I had previously asked the overall manager of the hotel if i could get my contract of employment if i had one and he informed me that he didn't know where they were kept or if i even had one.
    I have brought up me being singled out for reduced hours with the head chef and the manager and have received no help or guarantees of anything, do i have any rights that i can use to stop this or gain some sort of compensation?
    I will be going back to college in a couple weeks but i hope to work in this same hotel next year and over holidays and don't want to be forced to leave over unfair treatment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Danleo171

And can i refuse to do kitchen porter shifts without being fired or penalised for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

As you have been employed for less than a year, you really don't have a lot of rights nor would you be entitled to compensation. Given that are part time, seasonal and the head chef doesn't really want you, chances are they will let you go if you start complaining.

Advertisement