Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Englands Next Big Hope

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Trampas

Tom ince.

Remember the rubbish about him inter looking for him and ends up at Derby or somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Esse85 wrote: »
    I would have thought Joe Cole was the obvious answer to this?

The likes of Adam Johnson and Bentley were players who had a good spell for their clubs and then got hyped up for an England call, flash in the pans as much as anything.

Joe Cole on the other hand was the kid who was being talked about when he was still playing in the Milk Cup for West Ham Under 14's. He was the little kid with the immense talent who was miles ahead of his peers and was going to be the next Gazza and the missing link for England.

He established himself at West Ham and then Chelsea and still everybody waited for him to take it to the next level for England, but it never happened. England spent years waiting for Cole to fulfill his promise, I think he was far more of a great white hope than anybody on this thread apart from perhaps Wilshire.

Harsh on Joe Cole.

56 caps, I0 goals isn't a bad return when the likes of Beckham, Gerrard, Scholes and Lampard were all around.

How often was he played in his preferred position?
    Not even Joe Cole himself knew his preferred position. I'm playing Championship Manager at the moment and I bought him and don't know where to put him. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Can't believe we're 5 pages in and not one mention of Michael Johnson of City

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

tinpib wrote: »
    We will never know how explicit it is but there is clearly a directive to feature/hype like fcuk English[maybe British?] players on Match of the Day.
    Its almost as if the show is produced for a British Audience?
    Im sure every country hype its own players.

At least the English have something to hype up, FAI plan for underage talent is to increase the age limit for the Irish young player of the year:(

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

I wonder what ever happened that shane long that they wanted to call up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Seeing Wilshire explode last night for a reserve game getting sent off, probably just brought this thread back to me after only posting about him yesterday.

If he has any hope of reclaiming anything of his career needs out to Arsenal, to be honest that AC Milan link doesnt sound a bad shout considering the ambition they have shown this summer. Went from schooling a Barca midfield in their pomp to being a non entity at Bournemouth, such a collapse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

To be fair Wilshere's career has been utterly destroyed by injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭jacool

To be fair to Wilshere he pushed a guy in the chest who had hacked him down, only for your man to do a Calvert Lewin, and fool the ref.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Josh McEachran was another. What ever happened to him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭daheff

Trampas wrote: »
    Tom ince.

Remember the rubbish about him inter looking for him and ends up at Derby or somewhere
    Hes still only 25...still got time to be great. Look at Vardy...he was a late bloomer too.

In terms of overhyped not living up to potential....Daniel Sturridge of Man City/Chelsea/Liverpool

that said...hes still 27, 25 caps and 8 goals. Could do a lot better though if he was pushed enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭tinpib

Its almost as if the show is produced for a British Audience?
    Im sure every country hype its own players.

At least the English have something to hype up, FAI plan for underage talent is to increase the age limit for the Irish young player of the year:(

Yes but instead of objectively highlighting the best players, they have a bias in highlighting the best British players which in turn makes these British players look better than they are.

So the British player they highlight may only be the 3rd or 4th best on the pitch [just to illustrate my point] that day but because he is featured on Match of the Day he is proclaimed as the second coming.

I think all this helps explain why so many next-big-things don't ever reach the very top.

It's essentially propaganda when you think of it, and we would laugh at North Korea, but it's the same idea.

Advertisement