Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th year hl maths

Options
  • 19-08-2017 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi, i am going into 5th year and just looking for some advice on how to study higher level maths for lc. i did honours for jc and got a B. At first i thought i could just do exam questions after each topic to study, but would that really benefit in 5th year because the questions will be mixed together with topics i might not do til 6th year? Is the best thing to do just do the questions in my text book or is it worth buying exam papers/revision books. thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Fifthyear

Just do your homework to the best of your ability, do extra questions in your text book. If your teacher gives you hand outs, keep them. Keep your class, summer and Christmas tests. Cover the answers with a sheet of paper and redo the questions over and over again. There's no need to worry about exam papers, imho it's a waste of money because you might not be able to answer some of the questions and you'll have to buy a new set next year anyway. Just go on examinations.ie instead.
    Just stay on top of your work and make sure you understand everything and you'll be grand :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Never leave a Maths class (or the school that evening) without understanding the steps the teacher showed you and why they took them. If you don't want to ask in front of the class, ask the teacher privately.

No amount of learning off or practice questions will help if you do not understand the concepts. It will only frustrate you, especially in questions where the answer requires a knowledge of more than one concept..

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭starface

I always tell my students to ask lots of questions in class. Don't leave class confused and if you do ask the teacher for help AS SOON AS YOU CAN. If you're lucky enough to have a teacher that used Edmodo or something similiar use it! Ask for solutions, help etc in it in the evenings.

Attempt all your homework. If you're not getting the answer in the back of the book - have another attempt. Ask your teacher to go through your hw if you can't get it out.

When revising for tests read through all your notes and examples and then just do out lots of textbook questions. No need for paper work on form 5.

If you miss a class - catch up on the notes.

A B grade in JC is a really good result. Keep the study up in fifth and sixth yet and you'll do great.

Advertisement