If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HiFi Speakers c. 300

Options
  • 19-08-2017 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

My faithful old Sansui SP50s have tweeted their last. I listen to classical music in a 30 sq.m. living room from a Marantz PM4000 amp that I think I bought from you guys when you were in Dame St. I rarely need more than 1/3 of its volume control.
    Reviews are pointing me to either Monitor Audio Bronze 2 or Q Acoustics Concept 20.
    I don't see them on the last Open Box deals. Any offers going?
    Thanks

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Sysmod wrote: »
    My faithful old Sansui SP50s have tweeted their last. I listen to classical music in a 30 sq.m. living room from a Marantz PM4000 amp that I think I bought from you guys when you were in Dame St. I rarely need more than 1/3 of its volume control.
    Reviews are pointing me to either  Monitor Audio Bronze 2 or Q Acoustics Concept 20.
    I don't see them on the last Open Box deals. Any offers going?
    Thanks
    Hi Sysmod,

The new Bronze 2 speakers would be my first choice between the two. I find they have a bit more bottom and mid range than the Q Acoustics which makes them a bit more balanced. I don't have any in open box but I could do you a Boards special on a new set in black for £259.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sysmod

Thanks David.
    I've installed them and they're nice. The sound (mainly heard with Radio 3 stereo) seems clearer and more focused. I don't need to turn up the volume level of the Marantz.
    The bass is more lightweight than the warmer sound I was used to. It feels more like a small speaker that can't quite get the low tones out, but that's not a scientific test.  I would like a better pair but I would have to pay more than double for the next level up, the Concept 40 you have on Open Box offer for 579 and even that is almost half the full retail!  So I guess I'll have to live with the more lightweight ones. My wife likes the sound which helps :-)

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Sysmod wrote: »
    Thanks David.
    I've installed them and they're nice. The sound (mainly heard with Radio 3 stereo) seems clearer and more focused. I don't need to turn up the volume level of the Marantz.
    The bass is more lightweight than the warmer sound I was used to. It feels more like a small speaker that can't quite get the low tones out, but that's not a scientific test.  I would like a better pair but I would have to pay more than double for the next level up, the Concept 40 you have on Open Box offer for 579 and even that is almost half the full retail!  So I guess I'll have to live with the more lightweight ones. My wife likes the sound which helps :-)
    Hi Sysmod,

thanks for the mini review :) - the Bronze 2 are pretty exceptional and should sound great for you ( especially if you are a classical music fan) over your older Sansui I think that you will notice a significantly extended treble due to the vastly better HF technology used by the Bronze 2 - this may make the Bronze 2's sound a little leaner than your ole speakers but you do get an amazing increase in detail.

What I would say however is that your Bronze 2 will need at least 48 hours of running in before you get a balanced sound - seriously they will sound quite different after they are run in properly and I do hope that you will be pleased with them :)

Thanks again and don't hesitate to keep us posted if we can assist in any way.

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

PS (Depressingly women generally have far better hearing than us guys - so she is probably right :( )

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.