Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I quit learning to drive trucks?

Options
  • 19-08-2017 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hey everyone. I would love some advice.

I recently did three driving lessons an hour a piece in a rigid truck. I had problems with the 4 over 4 gears and my instructor who wasn't the nicest guy I ever met told me to pack it in. That it would cost me a fortune to perfect it and that I should drive an automatic bus instead. I was stunned an instructor would even say that to me, especially since I have driven manual cars for years and have both my Truck CPC stages 1 & 2 passed first go. Also the lessons were very far apart. I had to wait three weeks for the last one I did as he kept saying he was too busy, just being very blunt and ignorant over the phone. The lesson before that was a whole two weeks after my first.

So, in others opinions, should I "pack it in" as he says or stick with it and try a new instructor? It's a vehicle I always wanted to learn and don't want to let one person put me off.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

edwood wrote: »
    Hey everyone. I would love some advice.

I recently did three driving lessons an hour a piece in a rigid truck. I had problems with the 4 over 4 gears and my instructor who wasn't the nicest guy I ever met told me to pack it in. That it would cost me a fortune to perfect it and that I should drive an automatic bus instead. I was stunned an instructor would even say that to me, especially since I have driven manual cars for years and have both my Truck CPC stages 1 & 2 passed first go. Also the lessons were very far apart. I had to wait three weeks for the last one I did as he kept saying he was too busy, just being very blunt and ignorant over the phone. The lesson before that was a whole two weeks after my first.

So, in others opinions, should I "pack it in" as he says or stick with it and try a new instructor?

A bad teacher blames his student. Find another instructor and see how you get on, then make a decision

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

I have a C+E licence which I have held for over 30 years.

When I passed my test there was no 4 over 4, but one day I had to drive a vehicle with this type of gearbox and found it a very simple concept that I grasped immediately. Just a matter going through 4 gears then flicking a switch and going through the same four movements for the next 4 gears.

If you are struggling with that concept after 3 one hour lessons it might be good advice he is giving you to give up.

Driving instructors are generally looking for more business, not less.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭edwood

A bad teacher blames his student. Find another instructor and see how you get on, then make a decision

My thoughts exactly my friend. That's a great approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 cornascriebe

Would it be because your lessons were so far apart that you you forgot how to do it in the meantime?
    Typically when learning to drive lorries, you do an intensive course of lessons all at once and have your test at the end of the course, like lessons all week and test on a Friday.
    Also, there can be a two students learning together, so when one is driving, the other observes.
    That's the way it is done in the north, the way I did it years ago.

Would it be because your lessons were so far apart that you you forgot how to do it in the meantime?
    Typically when learning to drive lorries, you do an intensive course of lessons all at once and have your test at the end of the course, like lessons all week and test on a Friday.
    Also, there can be a two students learning together, so when one is driving, the other observes.
    That's the way it is done in the north, the way I did it years ago.

That's what I believe happened to me too. I had to wait two weeks for lesson number 2, and then 24 more days till I even got behind the wheel again as he wouldnt answer the office phone, wouldn't even reply to email. I had bad luck with this instructor who I won't name on here. Not at all friendly, was a unhelpful teacher. He didn't even show me basic things like where the hazard lights were in his specific truck cab. He said to me why did you not put on the hazard lights? I said because you didn't show me where they are for a start. Took me straight up town in the city centre on my first lesson, knowing I had never driven a truck in my life. I got my car licence years ago on my first go, all done in a manual gearbox. But a truck is a different beast entirely.

Plus I know of others who have had problems with this instructor. Making anyone wait 24 days for a lesson is a joke. Especially when you paid in full up front for a course of lessons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

It wont help when the lessons are so far apart and sounds like the instructor doesnt give a toss. change driving school. where are you based in the country op?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

In this country there are very good and very bad providers of services. If possible try to find an instructor with good reviews.

How about starting a thread on boards looking for a good instructor...?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mosii

Hi,dont give up on this.I would consider myself to be an average learner.I have no doubt that you will get this in time,100%.It took me a number of days to learn the split box,and my instructor told us while learning, to go 1 low 2 low 3 low 4 low ,up to high box etc.all while watching the road.But like everything else in life it WILL come with practice.Also take it from me instructors can vary as humans vary, some are assholes with small man {willy},syndrome with a bit of power ,so definately change ,you are paying for this service.Good luck:)

Try with another instructor then decide.

neris wrote: »
    It wont help when the lessons are so far apart and sounds like the instructor doesnt give a toss. change driving school. where are you based in the country op?

Based in Tipperary. Thank you all for the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

edwood wrote: »
    Based in Tipperary. Thank you all for the replies.

Was going to recomnend the instructor I had but Dublin based. Have a look for a new instructor locally and within distance you'd be happy to travel for a lesson. If you go on to irish rigs a few of the lads there might be able to recommend

If you are taking lessons for anything, you practice between each lesson, music, driving a car or whatever. You can't do that without access to a lorry in your case, so, say a week long course, with you test booked at the end of that week would probably be your best bet. Even if you did have to travel and stay in a B&B.

When I was doing the test, the instructor got about 5 or 6 of us to come on a Sunday morning and drive up and down a private road to get used to the gearbox in his lorry, as there were so many different gearboxes, 3 over 3 with a splitter, 4 over 4, 4 over 4 with a splitter, some that you slap the gearstick sideways to change from hi to lo, etc. In the last 10 years, every lorry I had had been automatic!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Try another instructor! Your current guy sounds like a bit of an a**&^%e!

When I took my C+E lessons in 2014 I tried 3 different instructors before I found the right one ...plus the right truck + trailer combination.

In the end I drove all the way to Athlone for my lessons and test (a 4-hour round trip to get there). The truck I drove was a Scania (+ trailer) with a spilt shift box (I previously tried a 4-over-4, slap the gear stick to one side to change up type - in Renault artic - and could not get the hang of it!)

It was worth it though, I passed my test first time after 12 hours of lessons (no prior truck driving experience bar C lessons and test in 2003).

Bear in mind that nearly all modern trucks have auto boxes - thats what my instructor told me in 2014.
    I believe if you pass the truck test in one of these autos you are also licenced to drive manual trucks (I'm open to correction on this though).

If you really want to get a truck licence, dont give up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Change instructor and try keeping the lessons to at least once a week and stick with the manual truck, While a lot of fleet operators are using auto boxes manufacturers are still making manual trucks.
    I remember there was a thing that if you did the test in a auto box that it would be on your license just like if you did the car test in a auto.

Advertisement