Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly Line

• 19-08-2017 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

Hi folks quick one - New to fly fishing and was wondering if you tie a leader to your line then a tippet to the leader ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I find if you get the right size of tapered leader you don't need a tippet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I find if you get the right size of tapered leader you don't need a tippet.

That's fine if you always fish with the same fly and never take it off. You would quickly find your tapered leader getting shorter if you wanted to change fly. Better to tie a loop in the end or use a small tippet ring, and tie a couple of feet of tippet onto it. Your tapered leader lasts a lot longer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

You will find your 9 ft tapered leader quickly becomes 5 ft. I usually go with 9 ft total, so a new leader has no tippet, if it gets to about 7ft I tie on 2 ft tipped etc, once you get to 5 ft it probably wont break again!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭whelzer

I use thread furled leaders for all non-streamer river fishing. The ones I use have a 2mm tippet ring, tie 4'-8' tippet (Stroft) to it. Would not consider going back to mono tapered jobbys.

OP - Use a braided loop connector on your flyline and loop to loop your leader to it, some say they create a hinge effect, in 15+ years of fishing I have never had a problem with them (I only use Roman Moser brand).

For a while I toyed with a nail knotted handmade leader to the fly line - offers no benefit imho.

Advertisement