Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feeling Tired

• 19-08-2017 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

I am a 19 year old male.
    I started gym 3 years ago, on my first year, all I ever took was protein, to get mass, as I was a skinny ass dude. As I got more experience and knowledgeable in the area of fitness and made some gains, I was recommended creatine, I started taking that in my 2nd year of gym, and OMG what a year of gains that was for me. I lifted my most and looked the best I ever was.I also had no problems then. Leaving Cert came and I took a break for around 9 months from both protein and creatine. I would work out like once or twice a weak but did not take any supplements as I was not serious about it, just trying to maintain strenght throughoutt LC.

So summer came and I bought myself the usual myprotein whey protein and creatine, I tried it and I noticed I kept getting constipation. Even when I did not have constripatin I did not have full bowel movements (one thing to note, I tend to drink not that much water, maybe 1-1.5l max a day) I was told that with creatine you should drink more water, because it absorbs water etc. So I tried doing 2l a day, but still not much of a difference, I just gave up creatine, and my constipation or any stomach problems I had was gone.

Also to note, I do not cycle creatine as recommended. I don't know if it makes a difference to my story, but anyways, its been 3 weeks and I have been going gym, drinking my protein, my stomachs feeling good, only problem now is some times I feel tired in the gym, its not the sleep I know that. I can lift the same weights I can when im not tired, but I keep yawning and do not feel energetic or in the mood, I just keep pushing it, that's the only thing that keeps me going that day.
    I know creatine gives you energy and fast recovery, but I am afraid if I go back my problems will come back aswell.
    I looked up online and from looking at my gym, many people drink Monster, I was thinking of going that route to get a bit of ''buzz'' but I do not want to spend 8E per week(go gym 4 days), also I'm pretty sure its bad for you?

Is there any drinks or natural remedy's i.e. preworkout that gives you a boost going gym that you would recommend ? I don't want to spend 15E on prework out as I think thats a bit too expensive. So maybe if theres a cheap and EFFECTIVE preworkout that some of ye buy, I might try that then.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

If you're tired, you need to sleep/rest/relax more and possibly take a multivitamin. Don't bother with pre-workout bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

If you're tired, you need to sleep/rest/relax more and possibly take a multivitamin. Don't bother with pre-workout bollocks.

I don't think sleep is issue, I get 7hrs. I take vitamins, the rest and relaxation, I don't tend to do a lot.
    I think I should incorporate a day of stretching and relaxing the body on my week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,675 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Your tiredness has nothing to do with protein shakes, creatine, Monster, lack of Monster, etc.

Make sure your diet is in check, make sure your quality of sleep is in check and take from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

I'd suggest you be careful. I'm not sure if you have goals, but pushing yourself continuously with ever reducing returns and some bad weeks can cause negative reactions in your body. Make sure to take an occassional holiday from training. Don't do intense training all year round.. top athletes don't! Set a target of a number of weeks with the goal you want to achieve.

Stomach problems can be the first sign something is not well. Fatigue is another warning sign.
    Make sure you're eating a good diet.. high protein breakfast, salads for lunch, chicken and broccoli for dinner. Restrict stimulants like caffeine or high sugar supplements, so I'd rule out monster until you're feeling better.

Tenigate wrote: »
    I'd suggest you be careful. I'm not sure if you have goals, but pushing yourself continuously with ever reducing returns and some bad weeks can cause negative reactions in your body. Make sure to take an occassional holiday from training. Don't do intense training all year round.. top athletes don't! Set a target of a number of weeks with the goal you want to achieve.

Stomach problems can be the first sign something is not well. Fatigue is another warning sign.
    Make sure you're eating a good diet.. high protein breakfast, salads for lunch, chicken and broccoli for dinner. Restrict stimulants like caffeine or high sugar supplements, so I'd rule out monster until you're feeling better.

While I don't disagree with the gist of what you're saying, the OP can probably have a healthy lunch that isn't a salad and a dinner that isn't chicken and broccoli.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

While I don't disagree with the gist of what you're saying, the OP can probably have a healthy lunch that isn't a salad and a dinner that isn't chicken and broccoli.
    I'd go a step further to say that a coffee or two is perfectly fine too.

I'd also call into question any reference to top athletes... but the gist is good.

I'd also call into question any reference to top athletes... but the gist is good.

So we reduced it to

"Take some breaks and eat well"

Can't argue with that tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

steak

/thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

I noticed the same thing when I was 19...turned out to be glandular fever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭CPTM

How many litres of water do you drink per day OP? I need at least three or I pass out at my desk, and because I'm drinking a lot I end up flushing a lot of vitimins out. So I now eat a lot of raw greens (spinach and broccoli (raw broccoli with cashews nuts is delish)) and I take a multivitimin.

I'm also on ZMA before bed time. Helps me sleep better and gives me more energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

7 hours sleep isn't enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

ligerdub wrote: »

Yes it is.

Yes it is.

For old people or people without an active lifestyle then probably yeah, even at that it's still at the lower end of the recommended range.

Bear in mind the OP suggested that he is feeling tired. I suggest the first port of call there is not anything to do with eating more of this that and the other, but maybe get some more rest. If that fails then by all means try something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

I am a 19 year old male.
    I started gym 3 years ago, on my first year, all I ever took was protein, to get mass, as I was a skinny ass dude. As I got more experience and knowledgeable in the area of fitness and made some gains, I was recommended creatine, I started taking that in my 2nd year of gym, and OMG what a year of gains that was for me. I lifted my most and looked the best I ever was.I also had no problems then. Leaving Cert came and I took a break for around 9 months from both protein and creatine. I would work out like once or twice a weak but did not take any supplements as I was not serious about it, just trying to maintain strenght throughoutt LC.

So summer came and I bought myself the usual myprotein whey protein and creatine, I tried it and I noticed I kept getting constipation. Even when I did not have constripatin I did not have full bowel movements (one thing to note, I tend to drink not that much water, maybe 1-1.5l max a day) I was told that with creatine you should drink more water, because it absorbs water etc. So I tried doing 2l a day, but still not much of a difference, I just gave up creatine, and my constipation or any stomach problems I had was gone.

Also to note, I do not cycle creatine as recommended. I don't know if it makes a difference to my story, but anyways, its been 3 weeks and I have been going gym, drinking my protein, my stomachs feeling good, only problem now is some times I feel tired in the gym, its not the sleep I know that. I can lift the same weights I can when im not tired, but I keep yawning and do not feel energetic or in the mood, I just keep pushing it, that's the only thing that keeps me going that day.
    I know creatine gives you energy and fast recovery, but I am afraid if I go back my problems will come back aswell.
    I looked up online and from looking at my gym, many people drink Monster, I was thinking of going that route to get a bit of ''buzz'' but I do not want to spend 8E per week(go gym 4 days), also I'm pretty sure its bad for you?

Is there any drinks or natural remedy's i.e. preworkout that gives you a boost going gym that you would recommend ? I don't want to spend 15E on prework out as I think thats a bit too expensive. So maybe if theres a cheap and EFFECTIVE preworkout that some of ye buy, I might try that then.
    what does your entire training program look like and a typical days eating?

Current height/weight also please

Gibberish.

Gibberish.

Nice of a moderator to be so uncivil.

7 hours isn't enough for me anyway.

7 hours isn't enough for me anyway.

Uncivil unschmivil. If you post gibberish, it's gonna get called out on here.

"For me" isn't exactly scientific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod: Nervous Wreck is not a moderator in this forum and as such, is treated as a regular user. If you have a problem with a post, please use the report function

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Amount of sleep is different from person to person.

Personally, I can't sleep for 8 hours no matter how hard I try. 7 is a great night sleep for me and I function great after it but anything below 6 and I feel pretty lethargic.

Also, whatever about time spent asleep, quality if sleep is a big factor. OP, if you are the type that plays computer games, watches netflix or anything remotely stimulating for the mind before bed, it might be worth cutting it down a bit. Something relaxing before actually sleeping might help like reading a book, or whatever.

• Advertisement

Transform wrote: »
    what does your entire training program look like and a typical days eating?

Current height/weight also please

I will upload my programme later on the night, but I am 5ft 9 and weigh 81kg.

Bench press 10x3
    Bench pree incline 12x 3
    Shouler press 10 x3
    Incline 12 x 3
    Upright row 10 x 3
    Lateral rise 12 x 3
    Butterfly and everse fly 10 x 3
    Chest press machine 10 x 3
    Tricep extension 10 x 3
    Tricep pushdown rope 10 x 3

Back
    Assisted pullups 10 x 3
    Prone bench rows 10 x 3
    One arm rows 12 x 3
    Bicep curl 10 x 3
    Seated rows 12 x 3
    Lat pulldown 12 x 3
    Back exten 15 x 3
    Rope curl 15 x 3

Arms
    Incline curl ss tricep extension 10 by 12
    Close grip bench ss Bicep curl 10 x 3
    Overhead curl with ez bar and tricep ss exenstion
    Steaight bar(machine) tricep and ss curl 15 x 3

Legs
    Squat 12 x 3
    Leg press 15 x 4
    lunges 10 x 3
    Leg ext 10 x 3 ss Leg curl

I also do 2 days of HIIT with an ab workout beforehand also do calfs that day aswell. I have been using this programme for a 2 yrs. And its very effective as I got it to build strenght and lose fat.
    But I am just getting tired of it. I want to get a whole new workout in as im getting bored of this one, despite it giving me excellent results. I will be creating a thread in the coming days asking for peoples opinion on changing the workout and implementing new excercises.

Bench press 10x3
    Bench pree incline 12x 3
    Shouler press 10 x3
    Incline 12 x 3
    Upright row 10 x 3
    Lateral rise 12 x 3
    Butterfly and everse fly 10 x 3
    Chest press machine 10 x 3
    Tricep extension 10 x 3
    Tricep pushdown rope 10 x 3

Back
    Assisted pullups 10 x 3
    Prone bench rows 10 x 3
    One arm rows 12 x 3
    Bicep curl 10 x 3
    Seated rows 12 x 3
    Lat pulldown 12 x 3
    Back exten 15 x 3
    Rope curl 15 x 3

Arms
    Incline curl ss tricep extension 10 by 12
    Close grip bench ss Bicep curl 10 x 3
    Overhead curl with ez bar and tricep ss exenstion
    Steaight bar(machine) tricep and ss curl 15 x 3

Legs
    Squat 12 x 3
    Leg press 15 x 4
    lunges 10 x 3
    Leg ext 10 x 3 ss Leg curl

I also do 2 days of HIIT with an ab workout beforehand also do calfs that day aswell. I have been using this programme for a 2 yrs. And its very effective as I got it to build strenght and lose fat.
    But I am just getting tired of it. I want to get a whole new workout in as im getting bored of this one, despite it giving me excellent results. I will be creating a thread in the coming days asking for peoples opinion on changing the workout and implementing new excercises.

What's your current squat and why no deadlifts and why are your pull-ups assisted?

How long and what do you do on hiit session?

What's your current squat and why no deadlifts and why are your pull-ups assisted?

How long and what do you do on hiit session?

I do 60kg squat. About deadlifts, thats why im saying im bored of my current plan so hoping to change it.
    I can't do pullups without assistance, I have good genes but i lift low weights because I want my form to be perfect and actually want to feel each motion when working.
    My hiit is the running sleds with weights. By 10 times up and down an astro in my gym.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Gibberish.

It's hardly gibberish when 8hrs is recommended by most medical professionals. 7 isn't bad, but I think it's better to get 8 or 9.

I know you hate the idea of referencing athletes or sportspeople, but in my experience, there's nothing that makes me weaker than getting **** all sleep; it's incredibly important, moreso than food according to many top weightlifters, for whom food is a huge priority.

I do 60kg squat. About deadlifts, thats why im saying im bored of my current plan so hoping to change it.
    I can't do pullups without assistance, I have good genes but i lift low weights because I want my form to be perfect and actually want to feel each motion when working.
    My hiit is the running sleds with weights. By 10 times up and down an astro in my gym.
    Fundamentally you need to get stronger - 60kg should be a number at even 75kg of body weight you should be hitting as a guy in about 3-4 months of solid training.

Your pull ups also reflect this.

IMO i see too many guys lifting weights overly worrying about having "perfect" form when its generally intensity they're lacking not how much they can feel their muscle working -this is the over-bodybuilding of the fitness industry.

Vary your program more often, work your nuts off, take scheduled lighter days off and once a month have a lighter training week.

None of this explains tiredness as you're barely doing much conditioning at all and some of it could be your lack of conditioning as 10mins of cardio twice per week doesnt really cut it. Its not from your weight training either as the loads are not so heavy Id be worries about CNS burn out.

Basic answer - yes get more sleep, vary training intensity more often, learn to do the compound lifts, lift with lower rep ranges on the compound lifts e.g. 3-5reps (use higher rep ranges on accessory work) and do some solid conditioning work 4-5 times per week e.g. cycle 30mins, metcons, etc and vary the intensity used there also. Finally, track calories to ensure you're eating enough as it might be something as simple as that also or not enough variety in your diet - i see this often with people that basically eat eggs, chicken, greens and rice all day every day.

Yeah, I just noticed the tiredness is gone a bit, I used to sleep at 3am and wake up at 11am, that must be it. I am sleeping earlier and waking up earlier now. I went gym yesterday and it felt good, and going today again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Yeah, I just noticed the tiredness is gone a bit, I used to sleep at 3am and wake up at 11am, that must be it. I am sleeping earlier and waking up earlier now. I went gym yesterday and it felt good, and going today again.

That was easy.

Fundamentally you need to get stronger - 60kg should be a number at even 75kg of body weight you should be hitting as a guy in about 3-4 months of solid training.

Your pull ups also reflect this.

IMO i see too many guys lifting weights overly worrying about having "perfect" form when its generally intensity they're lacking not how much they can feel their muscle working -this is the over-bodybuilding of the fitness industry.

Vary your program more often, work your nuts off, take scheduled lighter days off and once a month have a lighter training week.

None of this explains tiredness as you're barely doing much conditioning at all and some of it could be your lack of conditioning as 10mins of cardio twice per week doesnt really cut it. Its not from your weight training either as the loads are not so heavy Id be worries about CNS burn out.

Basic answer - yes get more sleep, vary training intensity more often, learn to do the compound lifts, lift with lower rep ranges on the compound lifts e.g. 3-5reps (use higher rep ranges on accessory work) and do some solid conditioning work 4-5 times per week e.g. cycle 30mins, metcons, etc and vary the intensity used there also. Finally, track calories to ensure you're eating enough as it might be something as simple as that also or not enough variety in your diet - i see this often with people that basically eat eggs, chicken, greens and rice all day every day.

Its not a matter of I can't lift heavier then 60kg without trying to boast, but I don't want to, in my dumbbell chest press I do 17.5kg but if I wanted to do heavier I can do 25 even 27.5 for 5-6 reps.
    ''some of it could be your lack of conditioning as 10mins of cardio twice per week doesnt really cut it. '' That could be really it, I am not that fit and active, not that I get tired easily, but I am a bit lazy, but I am trying to overcome this, by walking rather then get a lift. In regards to cardio, my cardio session is 45 mins. I do 4 sets of ab training which is a range of ab workouts in a circuit, then a 50 sec break(I take 50 sec break for every workout(more intense, lose fat etc.), I used to do 45, but I tried 50 sec yesterday, and I could lift heavier and better.)

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity, do you just squat 60kg 3x12/12x3 all the time or do you ever try to increase the weight?

If you're squatting that with 60kg and it's well within what you can do, you're getting very little from it.

Out of curiosity, do you just squat 60kg 3x12/12x3 all the time or do you ever try to increase the weight?

If you're squatting that with 60kg and it's well within what you can do, you're getting very little from it.

In the last set, I do a drop set, no, I try to increase the weight by 1.25kg each week.

[
    Its not a matter of I can't lift heavier then 60kg without trying to boast, but I don't want to, in my dumbbell chest press I do 17.5kg but if I wanted to do heavier I can do 25 even 27.5 for 5-6 reps.
    25kg still isn't very heavy for a guy that's over 80kg. If your goal is to get stronger, you need to lift heavier than 17.5kg.
    In the last set, I do a drop set, no, I try to increase the weight by 1.25kg each week.
    How long have you been increasing by 1.25kg for?

Mellor wrote: »
    25kg still isn't very heavy for a guy that's over 80kg. If your goal is to get stronger, you need to lift heavier than 17.5kg.

How long have you been increasing by 1.25kg for?

Since July, I had been off gym for a good few months because of my study, but I also have been 2 weeks of gym during the period of july and now. Hence, progress a bit slow.

''some of it could be your lack of conditioning as 10mins of cardio twice per week doesnt really cut it. '' That could be really it, I am not that fit and active, not that I get tired easily, but I am a bit lazy, but I am trying to overcome this, by walking rather then get a lift. In regards to cardio, my cardio session is 45 mins. I do 4 sets of ab training which is a range of ab workouts in a circuit, then a 50 sec break(I take 50 sec break for every workout(more intense, lose fat etc.), I used to do 45, but I tried 50 sec yesterday, and I could lift heavier and better.)

You should want to.

Seriously dude it's important. I don't know any guy in great shape that's not squatting or aiming to squat one and a half times body weight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Out of curiosity, why do you think this? Do you just want bigger legs? Cause if so, your legs won't get very big with 60kg on the bar, even if you do a bazillion reps per workout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 thieloo

Being tired can also have to do with your diet, maybe you eat too much in one portion. I got way less tired when i started to eat many snacks during the day instead of a few large meals

Advertisement