Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to caravan awning

Options
  • 19-08-2017 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I've got sick of the effort to put up & take down our rather large caravan awning. Wasting 1.5 hours setting up the awning has become a nuisance. For the past 2 years I've used a "pop-up" gazebo when only staying on a site for one or 2 days with 5 pole beach shelters around it.. The type you get from Woodies/HomeStore & more for around €60. Problem is that they don't stand up very well to any kind of wind. Had one damaged in Dungarvan this year with very little wind. Also "lost" one in the back garden a few years back with wind. Have seen some wind out roof shelters & also seen some people using those dome canopies. Anyone got any suggestions or use anything other than awnings.

Thanks,

T.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

How is it taking you an hour and a half to put up an awning? It should be 20mins tops.

In terms of recommendations, any of the inflatable range might do what you need but they are expensive. Overly so imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Yep, I looked at the inflatable awnings but too expensive. By the time all the bars are together, Awning up, ground sheet out & all the pegs & guy ropes attached it takes quite a while. It's also the time when all the family just disappear when you need help or moan when they have to hold the bars etc. . Just looking for an easier solution.

Thanks.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

It's not a wind out awning then, more like one that you slide into the groove around the caravan and then use poles to set up?
    I'd recommend a wind out awing in that case, very easy to setup, just wind out, fold out legs and keep winding until the awning is completely out.
    add sides and a front and the whole thing is done in 15 mins or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

We've started to just use a wind out one, like a canopy you see on motor homes. Ours is Fiamma (2nd hand). It slides into the rail of the side of the caravan. Some people tow with the canopy still on the rail rolled up in its bag. Personally I wouldnt chance it, a bit too much wear & tear. But its really easy to set up.

Thanks for the replies. We used to have the windout type on previous campers. Saw the type stored in its bag on the rail this summer on caravans. Will keep an eye out for a 2nd hand one. The canopy is really all we ever would use. How are they if windy. Do ye take them down.

T.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

TigerTim wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. We used to have the windout type on previous campers. Saw the type stored in its bag on the rail this summer on caravans. Will keep an eye out for a 2nd hand one. The canopy is really all we ever would use. How are they if windy. Do ye take them down.

T.

I have a 4.0m one on my 'van, I use a couple of the screw-in ground anchors that they sell for dogs and use 6mm cord with a rubber snubber made from 4" wide heavy duty Tractor inner tube to absorb shock from gusts.
    the dog lead ground anchors hold very well even in windy conditions but I'd be reluctant to leave it out in very strong winds as the canopy flaps around and could tear.
    A Safari room is a lot stronger than a straight awning it stops wind getting underneath and lifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

I'd always peg it (holes in the feet of the support legs), and I have strap that could go over the whole lot, but tbh if it was any bit windy I'd just roll it back (leave it on the rail) and roll it out when needed again. A lot less hassle and risk than trying to secure it against winds (you'll hardly want to be sitting out in winds, and if you dont go with sides you're not getting much storage protection anyway - a bit from vertical rain on a set of chairs maybe, but that's about it). We sometimes use a regular tent for storage (kids bikes etc) if were staying for a long stint.

So overall it gives you less that a full awning but if you need less its perfect since its so easy.

One tip, unwind it a bit before trying to slide it onto the rail, gives you more scope to deal with angles on the caravan rail. It a 2 person job, one pulling on the leading edge of the rail - standing on a caravan step probably - and the other feeding it into the caravan rail and supporting the weight of the rest of the canopy. Also, no harm to give it a good auld slope and insert the middle rafter - both will help alleviate the risk of water logging.

Thanks Betsy Og

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭oinkely

Advertisement