Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scouts & seascouts

• 19-08-2017 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi
    Just wondering if anyone can tell me a bit about these pls? Are they one and the same? When can you join/queue to join? And when do they meet - is it week nights or on the weekend? Tia.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

This is for 2016 but might be of help for sea scouts>>> http://greystonesseascouts.weebly.com/calendar-of-acivities-for-2016.html

This is for scouts (not sea)>>>>http://www.greystonesparish.ie/2011/10/greytones-scout-group/

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Shazerina

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there are 2 scout troops in Greystones (in addition to the Sea Scouts) - the one linked above that meets opposite the (former) La Touche hotel, and the other troop meets at the scout hall beside Topaz/Centra (on Friday evenings for cubs and scouts). There's also a troop in Delgany.

loyatemu wrote: »
    there are 2 scout troops in Greystones (in addition to the Sea Scouts) - the one linked above that meets opposite the (former) La Touche hotel, and the other troop meets at the scout hall beside Topaz/Centra (on Friday evenings for cubs and scouts). There's also a troop in Delgany.

Does anyone have a contact number for SeaScouts? No response from emails or FB messages...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Shazerina wrote: »
    Does anyone have a contact number for SeaScouts? No response from emails or FB messages...

To get in touch with your nearest group please GET IN TOUCH with our National Office or with your local PROVINCIAL SUPPORT OFFICER.

Call us on 01 495 6300 or email QUESTIONS@SCOUTS.IE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Shazerina wrote: »

I had the same with seascouts. It's often mentioned, the variety of clubs and activities available in the town. However , getting your kid in to one is another matter. Many are oversubscribed. The town keeps growing , other elements can't keep up. Such a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

FirstIn wrote: »
    I had the same with seascouts. It's often mentioned, the variety of clubs and activities available in the town. However , getting your kid in to one is another matter. Many are oversubscribed. The town keeps growing , other elements can't keep up. Such a shame.

they're all voluntary, I know the Girl Guides have started a new group in Delgany due to the Greystones group being full. But all groups need extra volunteers to expand.

As for the scouts, 1st Wicklow who meet besides Centra are back on Friday and AFAIK are not oversubscribed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

My oldest was in the sea scouts best thing ever, the youngest was in the scouts stayed till she was 17 too and she loved it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭micandre

Due high demand for places, the waiting list for Greystones Sea Scouts is currently closed.

All enquiries to enquiries@greystonesseascouts.ie.

micandre wrote: »
    Due high demand for places, the waiting list for Greystones Sea Scouts is currently closed.

All enquiries to enquiries@greystonesseascouts.ie.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

I'm a sea scout leader with 18th Wicklow Sea Scouts. Due to an increasingly long waiting list we have had no choice but to temporarily close the waiting list. We are still taking names but can't guarantee a place, but please do message us and we'll put your child on the list.

As a previous poster mentioned, it is a voluntary organisation. As leaders we give our time for free. Although we try to respond to enquiries as quickly as possible we all have jobs too, so the response time may not be as quick as we'd like.

The reason the waiting lists are so long is that we struggle to find people who are willing to volunteer and train as scout leaders. There are strict ratios regarding leaders and kids and if we don't have leaders we can't increase numbers.

We'd love to hear from anyone with sailing, rowing, kayaking or general scouting skills who would like to become a leader.

neets wrote: »
    I'm a sea scout leader with 18th Wicklow Sea Scouts. Due to an increasingly long waiting list we have had no choice but to temporarily close the waiting list. We are still taking names but can't guarantee a place, but please do message us and we'll put your child on the list.

As a previous poster mentioned, it is a voluntary organisation. As leaders we give our time for free. Although we try to respond to enquiries as quickly as possible we all have jobs too, so the response time may not be as quick as we'd like.

The reason the waiting lists are so long is that we struggle to find people who are willing to volunteer and train as scout leaders. There are strict ratios regarding leaders and kids and if we don't have leaders we can't increase numbers.

We'd love to hear from anyone with sailing, rowing, kayaking or general scouting skills who would like to become a leader.
    Thanks for your reply. And for volunteering to do this. I appreciate you and all involved giving up your time to do this. I'm not in a position to offer any help as I cannot get beyond my knees when in water! Hence my eagerness to get my own kids into the water!!

Advertisement