Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuelta 2017, Stage 2: Nîmes - Gruissan. Grand Narbon 203.4km

Options
  • 19-08-2017 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭

https://twitter.com/nicholasroche/status/898992482188316672

PROFIL.png
    A pan flat day in France that will finish with the rarity in this race of a bunch sprint. Possibly a day for Degenkolb if Trek arent looking after Bertie too much but no doubt BMC will try to defend the red jersey

CARTE.jpg
    Fernando Escartín commentary

Flat. This stage will be one of the few in this year's Vuelta to end with a sprint to the finish-line. The stage will take place entirely in France, with all the obstacles that this implies: lots of roundabouts and central isles, all of which will force the peloton to ride in a straight line. Special attention must be paid to the crosswind and the echelons found along the coastline.

Last KM
    PROFILKMS.png
    1. AUSDENNIS Rohan 33 BMC RACING TEAM 15' 58''
    2. ITAOSS Daniel 35 BMC RACING TEAM 15' 58'' + 00' 00''
    3. IRLROCHE Nicolas 36 BMC RACING TEAM 15' 58'' + 00' 00''
    4. ITADE MARCHI Alessandro 32 BMC RACING TEAM 15' 58'' + 00' 00''
    5. ITACARUSO Damiano 31 BMC RACING TEAM 15' 58'' + 00' 00''
    6. USAVAN GARDEREN Tejay 38 BMC RACING TEAM 15' 58'' + 00' 00''
    7. BELLAMPAERT Yves 17 QUICK - STEP FLOORS 16' 04'' + 00' 06''
    8. ESPDE LA CRUZ MELGAREJO David 11 QUICK - STEP FLOORS 16' 04'' + 00' 06''
    9. LUXJUNGELS Bob 15 QUICK - STEP FLOORS 16' 04'' + 00' 06''
    10. FRAALAPHILIPPE Julian 12 QUICK - STEP FLOORS 16' 04'' + 00' 06''

Does Daniel Oss need to see a barber? 3 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 3 votes

Comments

That has to be one of the flattest stages I've seen on a GT this year, I road my first sportive last month and it was lumpier than that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Bonus seconds of 10, 6, and 4 are awarded to the first three riders in each stage, respectively, and 3, 2 and 1 seconds to the first three riders to complete each intermediate sprint.

Looking at the GC, I can't see anyone overtaking Dennis as leader if today ends in a bunch sprint as expected?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

That has to be one of the flattest stages I've seen on a GT this year, I road my first sportive last month and it was lumpier than that :D

Dont worry the lack of lumpyness in this stage will be well and truly made up for later in the race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

http://www.france24.com/en/20170820-french-police-arrest-man-after-security-scare-southern-city-nimes
    French police arrest man after security scare in southern city of Nimes

© Jaime Reina / AFP |

Police in the southern French city of Nimes on Saturday briefly closed the local railway station and arrested a man with a fake gun, amid heightened security following a twin terror attack in Spain.

The station was sealed off while police detained a man with a replica gun which fires blanks, the local prefecture told AFP.

Spanish media reported earlier that shots had been fired and social media users bombarded Twitter with worried messages, but the prefecture denied there had been any violence.

"No shootout at Nimes station," it said, describing it as an "operation to check a suspicious sighting," and rail traffic was expected to resume shortly.

The incident coincided with the start of the Vuelta a Espana, one of Europe's leading cycling races, which this year kicks off just outside Nimes.

A heavy police presence was deployed for the event, which took place less than two days after terror attacks in the northeastern Spanish province of Catalonia that killed 14 people and injured 120.

neris wrote: »
    Dont worry the lack of lumpyness in this stage will be well and truly made up for later in the race

Oh yeah, just had a look at the profiles for some of the later stages and there are some brutes there !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Connor Dunne has mentioned this stage in any interview I've see but then again I'm sure everyone is targeting this one.

Connor Dunne has mentioned this stage in any interview I've see but then again I'm sure everyone is targeting this one.

So is his team mate Adam blythe

Big crash already according to feed on cycling news, no other details as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

From the Vuelta live blog

Crash
    14:11
    Riders from different teams are involved in a crash in the bunch, with riders from Cofidis, Astana and LottoNL-Jumbo hitting the deck after 65 km of racing. It seems they're all able to get back on their bikes.

ETA: Link: http://racecenter.lavuelta.es/#/stageprofile

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Not impossible that Nico would take over as red jersey today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Eurosport currently indulging Brailsford and his bolloxology. Cue lots of arm gestures while talking about 'team synergy'.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Eurosport currently indulging Brailsford and his bolloxology. Cue lots of arm gestures while talking about 'team synergy'.

Eurosport does Cribs sky style

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

There are bonus seconds in this race ??

Usually are but not sure at moment

If so then Quickstep Floors will be looking for the jersey

I doubt Nico will go for it but Oss could ....but since Nico said last night that BMC had decided before the TT that Dennis was to cross the line first then looks like no one will want to take it off of him if he was the chosen one

Has a reputation of being very wicked btw

It's probably just aswell this stage isn't been shown from the start

Yeah 90km to go and no break, I'll be switching over to the race in Germany for a while at 2:30 Sam Bennet is at that one I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Because it was a ttt yesterday does that not mean that the first 6 BMC riders are on the exact same time and the gc lead will go on countback to the first bmc rider across the line today if there are no time gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

cunavalos wrote: »
    Because it was a ttt yesterday does that not mean that the first 6 BMC riders are on the exact same time and the gc lead will go on countback to the first bmc rider across the line today if there are no time gaps.

I dont know the answer to this I am afraid...would say GC would be on countback if all on the same time again but not sure

There is an intermediate sprint ...lets see who goes for it....every seconds counts in this Vuelta

That was close with the tv bike. Driver not paying attention lucky no racers involved

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Did nobody try a break away today? Bit odd?

Spoiler for Hamburg CyClassic
    Viviani wins from Demare and Groenwagen
    Sam 11th - But in perfect position going into last 400m appeared to check his sprint when about to launch - possible mechanical or poor positioning on his part looked very disappointed crossing the line

• Advertisement

cunavalos wrote: »
    Spoiler for Hamburg CyClassic
    Viviani wins from Demare and Groenwagen
    Sam 11th - But in perfect position going into last 400m appeared to check his sprint when about to launch - possible mechanical or poor positioning on his part looked very disappointed crossing the line

Yeah he was
    very animated before and after the line thumping the bars

Blythe in 3rd for aqua

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Decent finish but mostly a Sunday snooze.

Wow Dunne is some length of a lad, just watching him on the roller sitting up on the bike as Adam is being interviewed.

And a dolls house for the stage winner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Wow Dunne is some length of a lad, just watching him on the roller sitting up on the bike as Adam is being interviewed.

Conor and Chavez C3S5Kj_VUAAUAfa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

The poor fella holding the brolly!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Did nobody try a break away today? Bit odd?

Stage was won from a breakaway!

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Conor and Chavez C3S5Kj_VUAAUAfa.jpg
    Chaves is a giant compared to Sam Dumoulin
    bd-600x895.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement