Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overstaying tenants *Mod warning in post 1

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

beauf wrote: »
    Could you sell and leave the tenant there. It would obviously hurt the price you get. But you wouldn't be spending money on talking them to court.

I wouldnt. Banks only lend on vacant homes. A professional landlord will smell these guys a mile off and will drop the price accordingly.

What a horrible situation OP. My condolences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

You can't go homeless because this disgusting GOVERNMENT think they can take the p**?

FYP
    get a grip. It's the tenants taking advantage of the governments laws. 99% of the tenants wouldn't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

MOD: Advocating illegal evictions or other illegal methods will continue to attract cards. Warning also included in OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

get a grip. It's the tenants taking advantage of the governments laws. 99% of the tenants wouldn't do that.

It's laws the government leave in place knowing full well such cases are rife. They could easily do something about it yet all they do is make it worse and worse for the landlord. They are complicate in a big way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

It's laws the government leave in place knowing full well such cases are rife.  They could easily do something about it yet all they do is make it worse and worse for the landlord.  They are complicate in a big way.
    I don't think these cases are rife. There are about as many rotten tenants as there are rotten Ll and it makes life difficult for the good ones.I've had plenty of disagreements with my LL but I would NEVER EVER  not pay rent or overstay.It's morally not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

I don't think these cases are rife. There are about as many rotten tenants as there are rotten Ll and it makes life difficult for the good ones.I've had plenty of disagreements with my LL but I would NEVER EVER  not pay rent or overstay.It's morally not right.

Get out from under that rock. Read the amount cases of over holding and the like from the rtb. Read the amount to of posts about that kind of activity boards.
    And the numbers are getting higher all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Yes and evicting tenants doesn't increase supply so they're not planning on changing anything to encourage or speed up evictions.

In the longer term is discourages LL and the problem is not simply a shortage of housing. Its a shortage of long term private rental stock.
    ....The government realised this and implemented the rent controls to disincentivise switching tenants, and discrimination laws to prevent selecting away from those with social welfare payments. This leaves the initial conditions of the scenario as temporarily stable until house number 3 can be built, with minimum cost to the government in the interim.....

Problem with this they are not building new stock (well very little). Even if they did they've now discouraged anyone from renting them out.

On the flip side house prices are up and AirBnB is booming. Cause and effect.

In the longer term is discourages LL and the problem is not simply a shortage of housing. Its a shortage of long term private rental stock.

Problem with this they are not building new stock (well very little). Even if they did they've now discouraged anyone from renting them out.

On the flip side house prices are up and AirBnB is booming. Cause and effect.

I'm not saying it's an effective long term strategy. Their long term strategy doesn't seem to exist, everything implemented so far is bandages over the gaping wound of the housing shortage. I expect continued reactionary policy related to housing from the government as it suits them for the moment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Stats (helpfully supplied by a forum regular in another thread)- are that there are over 3 times more cases lodged with the RTB against tenants- than vice versa. We're also currently at over 500 a year- that reach adjudication (the RTB state that a majority of cases are resolved by telephone mediation- but they don't give numbers).

The single biggest issue the RTB are adjudicating on at present- is overholding tenants- either paying or not paying rent. Since 2015- it has raced ahead of their previous single biggest issue- unfair withholding of deposits by landlords.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Get out from under that rock. Read the amount cases of over holding and the like from the rtb. Read the amount to of posts about that kind of activity boards.
    And the numbers are getting higher all the time.

Whatever about the actual numbers, the clear and obvious knowledge that one can not pay rent and get away with no come back will always encourage some. The eviction period for non payment of rent could and should be streamlined. Its the greatest risk a landlord has to carry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'm not saying it's an effective long term strategy. Their long term strategy doesn't seem to exist, everything implemented so far is bandages over the gaping wound of the housing shortage. I expect continued reactionary policy related to housing from the government as it suits them for the moment.

Well its effective because most people point the finger at the LL not the Govt.

The Govt got very little heat over the housing crisis. Its all been deflected elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The single biggest issue the RTB are adjudicating on at present- is overholding tenants- either paying or not paying rent. Since 2015- it has raced ahead of their previous single biggest issue- unfair withholding of deposits by landlords.

Cases for unfair withholding of deposits also don't necessarily imply that the tenants won outright. Many disputes raised are about the amount being withheld due to damage such as arguing whether something is natural wear and tear or genuinely damaged.

Well its effective because most people point the finger at the LL not the Govt.

The Govt got very little heat over the housing crisis. Its all been deflected elsewhere.

Exactly, so don't expect a change unless the blame shifts.

Advertisement