Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My 6th Year Study Log

Options
  • 20-08-2017 2:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Doing this on a whim but I'm planning to start a study log this year. I really want to get better at studying and becoming motivated for it so hopefully this will keep me in check and I'll be able to gather some inspiration from fellow posters. If not I'll learn from mistakes made this year ;)

I haven't got a 100% set course in mind (although who does :D ) but I do have a certain direction that I'm leaning towards. I'm hoping to get around 570 points in the Leaving.

The subjects I'm planning to take are;
    English (H)
    Irish (H)
    Maths (H)
    German (H)
    Accounting (H)
    Biology (H)
    Chemistry (H)

Let's hope I can post :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

31 August 2017

So first day was yesterday. Didn't really do much. All that happened was introduction and receiving our schedules.

It was my first proper day today but I had a lot of free classes because litany of my teachers were either involved with the first year's induction or were on a trip with TYs.

Homework :

Accounting - Final accounts trading, profit and loss + Balance sheet question

Maths - Questions on Number Systems

I'll start proper studying when we start learning new things. :D

5th September 2017

We got separated into oour officially irish and Maths classes. Thankfully I got placed into the fast paced HL maths and into HL Irish.

German - Vocab and written text on holidays past and present tense. Looked over common mistakes when writing e.g. conjunctions, accusative case, false friend verbs etc.

Maths - Revision on number systems, irrational and rational numbers, real numbers and factorising.

Accounting - 2017 JC Final Account on Trade, profit and loss & Balance sheet

6th September 2017

First week is over so we're pretty much into proper classes for everything now and I've already had all my classes at least once including today's first biology class.
    Work is starting to become apparent and is quite a shock coming from TY.

Study
    German - Vocab on self-description and clothing.

Maths - Number systems, mainly irrational and rational numbers and the proofs associated.

Learned
    English - Seamus Heaney's "A Constable's Call"

Irish - Géibheann

Chemistry - History of the atom e.g. discovering the atom and experiments involved. Focus is on cathodes and anodes at the moment.

Friendship week is next week, so I'll be missing quite a few classes. I'll probably end up doing some revision and I've a maths test on number systems sometime next week, haven't been told when.

*Important My logs won't necessarily be the day that I've done the work, so if I end up logging my work the next day, I'll date the work under the day the work was done, not the day I'm inputting it onto my log.

8th September (example of day-after logging ;) )

Study

Irish - Themes, images, contrast and feelings in the poem "Géibheann".

English - "A Constable's Call" Revision on themes and meaning behind the poem.

Biology - Notes and revision on the scientific method and it's limitations.

I missed four classes on Monday friendship week activities. I think I'm missing four again tomorrow.

Yesterday I had my first test :o . It was in maths and on number systems. Thought it went pretty well. I have another test tomorrow in chemistry on the atom. Just got told today :(

11 September 2017 (yesterday)
    Homework and study

Maths - Studied for test on number systems. Looked over constructions and proofs in chapter.

English - Questions on "A Constable's Call" by Seamus Heaney

Irish - Exam question on "Géibheann"

Biology - Finish notes from powerpoint on the characteristics of life.

German - 10 phrases on self description using different sentence structures.

Accounting - Sole trader final accounts

Chemistry - Summaried chapter on the atom into one flashcard

12 September 2017 (today)
    Homework

Accounting - Finish off question on sole trader final accounts started in class.

Maths - Questions on algebra I polynomials

Irish - Answer sample question on "Géibheann"

German - Ten descriptive phrases on my family using different adjectives and adjectival endings and sentence structures

Study

Chemistry - The atom read over notes

Biology - Write flash cards to summarise the chapter on the scientific method

• Advertisement

:D Got maths test result back and I got 51/60, which isn't too bad considering the highest was 55/60. I ended up missing 2 classes today (bio and german) because of friendship week activities.

We're going on a trip tomorrow and there's friendship week activities all day tomorrow so no classes at all. However, I'll still be doing my homework today (at least most of it) so that I won't have to do it tomorrow ;)

13 September 2017
    Homework

Irish - Notes and revision on an aimsir chaite.

English - Questions on "A Call" by Seamus Heaney.

Maths - Questions on algebra I factorising from junior cert and new factorising on sum/difference of two cubes.

I'll probably do study tomorrow seeing as I'll have no homework :)

Oops. Haven't posted in a while :D

I got my chemistry test result back and I got 100%. It only had 6 questions so it's one of those where you can do really well or really bad.

I had a biology test on Wednesday on the scientific method and the characteristics of life so I should be getting the results on Tuesday. I also had an Irish test on Friday on 'Mé Féin agus mo Chlann'.

We've a long weekend this weekend as we've no school on Monday so I'm hoping to get extra study done this weekend. I'll post the study that I've done later on.

Homework
    22 September 2017

Accounting - Sole Traders Final Account OL question Trading, profit + loss and balance sheet

Maths - Questions on the Binomial theorem

English - Questions on Heaney's 'The Skunk'

German - Questions on word order rules

Irish - Translate 'Gnáthrud' and the notes on the story.

I got my biology test result back and I got 47/50 so chuffed.
    I'm waiting on test results for maths and for chemistry (the atom and arrangement of electrons in the atom).

I've a test tomorrow in German just on adjectives and adjectival endings.

I got quite a bit of homework so didn't really get to do much today.

Study
    2 October 2017

Chemistry - Notes on chpt. 'Arrangement of Electrons in the Atom'. Flash cards on 'The Periodic Table'

German - Notes on grammar rules

Biology - Notes on Food

This post will be more of an update than a log.

Everything is getting quite hard to be honest and I'm such a terrible procrastinator and I just find it hard to be motivated to do anything nowadays really.

I didn't do a single thing over mid-term so far and I've only tomorrow left (which is my birthday), so I don't think I'll get anything done. What makes it worse is that I'm always feeling down now and stressed. The pressure to do well is constantly on my mind.

Hopefully things will pick back up, especially since Christmas exams should be coming up soon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Amelia_11

I know how you feel !! reading your log though you do so much like you're doing really well and fair play doing all honours! just keep doing all your homework and making notes as you do the chapters cos it al adds up- you don't wanna be making your 5th year notes in sixth year trust me!! and don't worry, I'm in sixth year and I didn't open a book over midterm hahaha

keep up the hard work it gets tough but you're smart and you can do it just take it a little every day! best of luck xx

• Advertisement

Oops, here's me after not posting in months. I've just finished all my Christmas exams and school's over for the holidays.

I got my Irish result already. In total I got 64% (H4) which I'm quite happy and surprised about because I didn't answer some of the questions and whatnot. The 64% includes my listening and oral, which I got 90/130 in.

I'll list down the following predictions of what I think I'll realistically get :
    English - H4
    Maths - H4
    German - H2/H3
    Chemistry - H2
    Biology - H3
    Accounting - H1

I struggled with timing in the English exam a lot. My thumb wanted to fall off from all that writing. Nothing else stood out from the exams, so I guess we'll see when I get my report card :D

I honestly think I could have done better. I had recently been slacking off on study so I'm planning to do some over the next two weeks and just catch up on notes and whatnot.

18 January 2018

My Christmas results :
    English - 57% - H5
    Irish - 64% - H4
    Maths - 73% - H3
    German - 91% - H1
    Accounting - 98% - H1
    Biology - 92% - H1
    Chemistry - 87% - H2

Everything is higher or the same as I predicted (forgot to post my Irish prediction :D ) except English. Though it's not a surprise given my atrocious timing.

Altogether my top 6 amount to 556 points. I'm setting a long term goal of 570 for the summer exams, which hopefully is achievable.

Now that I've slightly gotten used to the pace of fifth year I'm hoping to improve my study and bad habits that I've picked up. These exams have been quite a wake up call though in terms of what I need to improve and put more effort into.

6th March 2018

I got a few tests back recently:

Biology (Human Breathing) - 100%
    German (Hobbies) - 89%
    English (Heaney essay) - 74%

Everything is going alright at the moment. We're ahead and doing well in maths and chemistry, content-wise. Our teacher in accounting keeps saying we're really behind. He was out for 2 consecutive weeks and we had no sub to teach so it's no surprise. I'm honestly quite worried about finishing the course because he's out often and it's not like someone else comes in to teach us.

So, my study log last year didn’t exactly work out as I planned :rolleyes:

Hopefully I’ll keep this one up. My summer results weren’t bad. I ended up getting basically the same points from my top 6 as I did in Christmas, except it was from a different top 6.

These were my summer results:
    English - H1 - 86%
    Irish - H3 - 78%
    Maths - H3 - 72%
    German - H4 - 66%
    Chemistry - H1 - 90%
    Accounting - H1 - 91%
    Biology - H2 - 83%

Overall, not bad. I got what I expected so there were no real surprises. I’ve taken up grinds in two subjects for two reasons. 1) To push my grade up in one of my top 6. 2) Because my class is so far behind in the syllabus.

Anyway, that’s what I’ve got to work with this year. I’ll try to post more.

Parent teacher meetings are coming up soon so all the teachers are piling up on the homework and tests.

I got some tests back recently:
    German - 95% (The cases)
    Irish - 50% (Oisín i dTir na n-Óg)
    Accounting - 60% (Service Firms)

Really poor results in Irish and Accounting. I didn’t study for them so it’s my fault really.

The revision I’ve done this week:
    Chemistry - Atomic Structure and Trends in the Periodic Table exam
    Irish - Hurlamboc and An Triail exam questions
    Accounting - Club Accounts

I’m waiting on class test results for accounting and chemistry.

Recent class test results :
    German - 85%
    Chemistry - 78%
    Biology - 92%

I’m waiting on a calculus maths test. It was quite hard so we’ll see how it goes.

I’ve started doing supervised study on Saturdays and Sundays which has helped me to work more efficiently.

Today I studied :
    German - Bildergeschichte “Chancen Durch Deutsch” and relating vocabulary

Chemistry - Organic Chemistry definitions and did notes on the chapter

So, I haven’t posted in a while here. My study at the start of 2019 was so hectic, particularly because of the Hpat and Mocks. I ended up doing a lot of Hpat prep, around 1-2 hours per day from the Christmas break and onwards. This took away from my usual time to study my subjects, but what can you do? :rolleyes:

Anyways mocks results are mostly back. I’m just waiting on accounting so I guess I’ll just post everything else.

Maths - H6: 43%
    English - H3: 73%
    Irish - H6: 49%
    German - H2: 84%
    Biology - H4: 68%
    Chemistry - H3: 72%
    Points = 425 (I think)

Overall it’s poor for what I usually get, but it’s not really surprising given the lack of study I did in preparation.
    Not going to lie, it’s kind of depressing to see the consequences of having prioritised the Hpat over the mocks, especially with teachers saying the results are disappointing.

Anywho...
    The study I’ve done today :

Accounting - Incomplete records type B 2003

English - Notes on Elizabeth Bishop and prepped an essay question

Chemistry - 2010 Ques 5,6,7,8,9

Advertisement