Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Ireland

Options
  • 20-08-2017 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey, I'm new here and this is my first post. I've looked a bit for some forums in Ireland that I could post this at.

I am 15 and live in Norway w/my parents. We have moved around a lot and can't seem to find a place we like. As I am currently in the last year of school I am looking at my options.

One of them is living in Ireland and studying there. I've been reading up on the school system, but I just can't understand how it all works.

I've been looking at Grennan college for some weeks now and I am wondering if that is in my age range? As I understood transition year is for those who are 15-17 (?) and that's a year I'd like to do. But I am really confused about it all and what I need to have in order to get in.

After the transition year I had plans to do the senior certificate and then the equestrian studies that they offer, as I am very interested in horses and wouldn't mind having a job in the horse world.

Do I have to have a junior certificate?
    Is there a set schedule or do the students pick classes?
    How much would the cost be?
    Do I have to know gaelic?

Any answer will be appreciated as I am currently just trying to make sense of it all.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Are your parents coming to Kilkenny, or just you? At 15 years of age you are going to find problems coming alone I think. The only way you can get most of the information you need is by contacting the school and explaining your situation. Have you read the admissions document?

Students would not normally pay a fee to do the secondary (up to Leaving Certificate, or Senior Certificate as you describe it) though there will probably be fees for further study.

You would not have to study Irish (when you are speaking English it is called 'Irish', not Gaelic). Whether you would have to do the Inter Cert (Junior Certificate) would depend on your standard achieved in your current school.

You really need to contact the school, and get your parents involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Cruc wrote: »
    Hey, I'm new here and this is my first post. I've looked a bit for some forums in Ireland that I could post this at.

I am 15 and live in Norway w/my parents. We have moved around a lot and can't seem to find a place we like. As I am currently in the last year of school I am looking at my options.

One of them is living in Ireland and studying there. I've been reading up on the school system, but I just can't understand how it all works.

I've been looking at Grennan college for some weeks now and I am wondering if that is in my age range? As I understood transition year is for those who are 15-17 (?) and that's a year I'd like to do. But I am really confused about it all and what I need to have in order to get in.

After the transition year I had plans to do the senior certificate and then the equestrian studies that they offer, as I am very interested in horses and wouldn't mind having a job in the horse world.

Do I have to have a junior certificate?
    Is there a set schedule or do the students pick classes?
    How much would the cost be?
    Do I have to know gaelic?

Any answer will be appreciated as I am currently just trying to make sense of it all.

Thank you!

When ya arrive here get yourself down to the world's end for snooker night. You'll have a blast, literally that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

When ya arrive here get yourself down to the world's end for snooker night. You'll have a blast, literally that is.

After hours is a different forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Idiot

• Advertisement
Advertisement