Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daughter starting college in Galway, how much weekly living allowance?

• 20-08-2017 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi all

My eldest daughter is starting in NUIG shortly and she will stay in Corrie Village student campus this year. This is my first going to college so I've no idea what I should give her weekly to live.

Any advice please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Fieldsman

A friend of mine who had a son going to college many years ago told me he always gave him what he needed not what he wanted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Tell her to find a job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Calculate how many meals she would need for a week, bus transport to and from college if she goes home at the weekend, photocopying/printing, phone credit, and a little bit extra for emergencies. The first few weeks costs will be changeable as lecturers give out their essential reading lists ( not always available for borrowing from the library). Toiletries etc you could probably buy as normal with your shopping and send them up with her. It's an exciting time, enjoy every second of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

The posts above me don't even answer your question. Ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭shopper2011

When I was in college, Mum shopped and I brought food back on Sunday night. Dad helped with bills on headed paper. (he insisted seeing a copy) Part-time job at weekend covered all my petty cash including photocopying & notes etc If something major came up, I talked to parents or saved.

I think it was very wise looking back spending my own earned money towards my college expensise. Absolute MUST that she starts a part-time job or zero spending money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

She won't have many expenses bar food. I presume light and heat are all taken care of. I used to spend a fortune photocopying but now it is all ebooks.

I used to get 30 a week to cover lunch, photocopying and stationery and my bus ticket, which was a tenner a week. You can't be giving her drinking money. I was living at home, but you can see it still wasn't a fortune. But it was enough.

The college should be able to help you. If you are paying her bills all she needs is to eat. I worked part time to cover clothes and stuff I wanted for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭geriatric

Thanks all for your replies.

She worked through the summer and travelled to Galway from Tipp yesterday to hand out Cvs and is planning to apply online this week for part-time work.

I know it's difficult to put figures on it but it's useful for me to read your experiences.

All advice really appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Irelandmaryd

geriatric wrote: »
    Thanks all for your replies.

She worked through the summer and travelled to Galway from Tipp yesterday to hand out Cvs and is planning to apply online this week for part-time work.

I know it's difficult to put figures on it but it's useful for me to read your experiences.

All advice really appreciated.

Hi,

The majority of my daughters food will be sent up weekly with her and I agreed to give €50 per week to cover incidentals, food and travel costs. She works at the weekend and buys all her own clothes, makeup, funds for going out etc.

HTH

Advertisement