Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clay shooting lessons

Options
  • 20-08-2017 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

So I finally took the plunge and bought a clay gun. After doing some research and a lot of you tubing on the whole clay set up in Ireland for beginners we seem to be falling short compared to say the UK on structured lessons and classes to get the novice started properly and establish a good foundation to build on in to their shooting career on as such. I took a 50 bird 1 hour lesson in a club in Dublin and when I enquired about future lessons I was told that I won't get the same instructor everytime and it would be more or less the same lesson each time unless I wanted something specific out of the class. The same can be said for a couple of clubs I rang around. Looking at the UK model they have dedicated clay schools with timetabled classes. How difficult would it be for one of the bigger clay grounds to organise say a 1 hour lesson every Wednesday for 10 weeks for 4 or 5 people. At the moment I'm shooting in a club where the lads in the shop will go out with you and give you a few pointers which is grand but I just feel that for lads like me starting out the clubs and organisations are missing a big opportunity to grow the sport.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

There is a couple of Lads in Courtlough that will do what your asking. Give Liam Flynn a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

What your now looking for is 'coaching' and there are a few lads doing this, but you'll need to ask around at the various clubs to see who's who.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭gmc999

There was a lad in the Irish shooters digest in the advertising section "clay coaching lessons available"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

gmc999 wrote: »
    There was a lad in the Irish shooters digest in the advertising section "clay coaching lessons available"

Sounds like Pat McCormack in Swords, https://www.facebook.com/PatMcCormackClayPigeonShooting/

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭mike2015

Was on the shooter's digest

Coaching available

087 7485677

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Did you find any where giving classes ?Im looking for similar myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

No not classes as such. Just one on one lessons. I'm shooting with a bunch of experienced lads once a week and they have been kind enough to give me a few tips. And I shoot solo if I have to just to keep practising but I can only go so far with that. The club I'm shooting in now offers one to one coaching so I will probably go down that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Keep shooting with the experienced lads. The knowledge some of them have is invaluable. I started off with 15-20 out of 50 in hh spink and the likes and can now hit low 40's no problem. Gun fit is important. If it dont fit you right you wont shoot right. John conroy has that simulator thing and its worth a try seeing if your high low pulling the gun and he can fit you to a gun well enough

The experienced lads are a good help. I usually shoot last in a line of five so you get a good look at what the other lads are doing. Gun fit isn't an issue as I was fitted for my gun before I bought it. It has a high rib and a Monte Carlo stock so the sight alignment is spot on. Length of pull is just right due to the adjustable trigger so I'm happy enough with my set up. Just plenty of practice I'm afraid !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

A good memory is very important, as well as lots and lots of practice.
    Its frustrating when you miss a target that you've previously been hitting, and a lot comes down to having the right "picture" in your head regarding lead etc.

• Advertisement

It's 5 stand compak sporting I'm shooting at my club. There are 3 different 5 stand layouts to choose from. We normally shoot 50 birds so we use any 2 of the layouts as such. I'm good on layout 1 which has all short range targets but the longer ranges on 2 and 3 are confusing the hell out of me lol. Memory is a big part of it alright. I don't mind putting in the practice but when it comes time to start on the competition circuit as such I don't know how I will fair out shooting other grounds !!!

My local club has 5 stands, and 6 traps throwing various doubles on report, plus the odd SIM pair.
    They have 2 traps growing loopers, and they are the bane of my Sunday morning's.....
    I'm luck to hit 2 out of 8 of them bazzards, it's become a mental block for me at this stage...

Luckysasha wrote: »
    The experienced lads are a good help. I usually shoot last in a line of five so you get a good look at what the other lads are doing. Gun fit isn't an issue as I was fitted for my gun before I bought it. It has a high rib and a Monte Carlo stock so the sight alignment is spot on. Length of pull is just right due to the adjustable trigger so I'm happy enough with my set up. Just plenty of practice I'm afraid !!!!!

Great. Cant beat a fitted gun. What chokes are you using?

I'm Having serious trouble understanding incoming targets. They arrive as a sim pair starting behind a bank 60 yards away then land about 20 yards in front of the stands. They seem to fly straight towards you on a level plane then drop off as they slow but for the life of me I can't figure them out. There are a few good YouTube videos on clay shooting that give a few good pointers but there is no substitution for getting out there and having a go yourself.
    My gun came with a full set of chokes so at the moment I'm using a number 2 & 5 (improved cylinder and improved modified). It's a fabarm I have so they name their chokes slightly different to other manufacturers.

Don't laugh, but a veteran told me to imagine there was an elf sitting on those incoming clays, wearing a top hat.
    Swing up through the clay and shoot the hat off him.!

Whatever works for you.

Sounds good enough to be true !!. Keeping the gun moving was the hardest adjustment I had to make. Up till this I was shooting pistol and rifle so the whole concept of keeping the gun moving and shooting in front of the target was Feckin alien to me. Big adjustment in shooting style but very satisfying when you see the clay smash to pieces

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭delboythedub

Garrett in Courtlough is the Best, after 1 lesson from him I could see a Hugh difference in my clay shooting. I would recommend him.

I'm Having serious trouble understanding incoming targets. They arrive as a sim pair starting behind a bank 60 yards away then land about 20 yards in front of the stands. They seem to fly straight towards you on a level plane then drop off as they slow but for the life of me I can't figure them out. There are a few good YouTube videos on clay shooting that give a few good pointers but there is no substitution for getting out there and having a go yourself.
    My gun came with a full set of chokes so at the moment I'm using a number 2 & 5 (improved cylinder and improved modified). It's a fabarm I have so they name their chokes slightly different to other manufacturers.

Switch that 3/4 out. I use 2 skeet chokes all the time except for the loopers at distance il throw in a modified. Thats just me. Try different choke combos with different shell loads. Fabarm are lovely. Had an axis rs great piece of kit

What's the advantage in using skeet chokes ? I thought skeet chokes where only good for 25 yards or so. I'm using 28g 7 1/2 shells the whole time. Yeah fabarm are nice. The range I shoot at are ceaser guerini and fabarm dealers so they have good offers. Can only drool at the ceaser guerinis though lol

What's the advantage in using skeet chokes ? I thought skeet chokes where only good for 25 yards or so. I'm using 28g 7 1/2 shells the whole time. Yeah fabarm are nice. The range I shoot at are ceaser guerini and fabarm dealers so they have good offers. Can only drool at the ceaser guerinis though lol

Good spread and paired with the right cartridges that hold the spread without having holes in it. Its just something that i found works for me. 2 skeet choke paired with fiocchi f3 in 7.5 im good out to 50 yards then il switch for the long loopers and maybe the teal wind depending. Switch your 3/4 for a 1/2 see how ye go.

• Advertisement

From what I can find the 1/2 equals Modified which I don't have. The set I have is skeet, improved cylinder, improved modified, full and super full. Fabarm name them as 0,2,5,7,9 or skeet/cylinder, short, medium, long, extreme. So at the minute I have short and medium in my gun that covers from 35 to 65 yards.

From what I can find the 1/2 equals Modified which I don't have. The set I have is skeet, improved cylinder, improved modified, full and super full. Fabarm name them as 0,2,5,7,9 or skeet/cylinder, short, medium, long, extreme. So at the minute I have short and medium in my gun that covers from 35 to 65 yards.

that would be right! try get your hands on a modified give you more options to work with

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like you would be a good lad to shoot with. If your ever shooting in monaghan give me a shout

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like you would be a good lad to shoot with. If your ever shooting in monaghan give me a shout

no bother at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

When I used to shoot clays on a more regular basis I fo
    und a improved cylinder in the auto perfect for compact sporting, while a 3/4 was the answer to DTL.

Most of us over choke the gun especially for clays, as the previous post suggest open them choked out and go from there.

Advertisement