Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where do I stand???

• 20-08-2017 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Story is that I have a Samsung laptop and up until about 4/5 months it was working fine and then the keyboard started to fail. Would only type some letters etc. Sourced a local guy (through recommendations) to fix it and he took a look and said it need a new keyboard and it would be €90 including labour. So I told him to go ahead and fix it. Then he rang to say when he was replacing keyboard he broke something on the motherboard and had to replace that (at his own cost). Since then I have been having other issues. He has taken it back twice but still having problems. I have no sound, apparently a Win 10 issue but it wasn't, something else had "broken" off and he fixed it and tried to charge me €30 but I refused as the issue was there from the moment I got it back. I still have no sound. If I move it a little to roughly it powers down and now there is this clicking noise coming from it.

So where do I stand? What can I do?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ask for the depreciated value of it new, he's a joker, if he refuses small claims court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

You could download a copy of Kali yourself and boot to it. If the sound doesn't work in Kali, then it's likely a hardware problem, and not a software issue as was suggested.

It's a difficult situation. You obviously don't trust the guy any more, so I would not bring it back to him to do anything with it. And taking action against him is probably gonna be a waste of time if he's just a one man band (with no company behind him). So I wouldn't deal with him again. Maybe bring it to somebody else and get their opinion?

Also, you don't say what happened to cause the keyboard failure. They don't normally fail unless you spill something on them. We get laptops here sometimes that have a spill and we have to emphasize to the client that we can replace the keyboard but we cannot ensure that other issues resulting from the spill will not arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Tizzy Dongue

You could download a copy of Kali yourself and boot to it. If the sound doesn't work in Kali, then it's likely a hardware problem, and not a software issue as was suggested.

It's a difficult situation. You obviously don't trust the guy any more, so I would not bring it back to him to do anything with it. And taking action against him is probably gonna be a waste of time if he's just a one man band (with no company behind him). So I wouldn't deal with him again. Maybe bring it to somebody else and get their opinion?

Also, you don't say what happened to cause the keyboard failure. They don't normally fail unless you spill something on them. We get laptops here sometimes that have a spill and we have to emphasize to the client that we can replace the keyboard but we cannot ensure that other issues resulting from the spill will not arise.

Thank you for that. As for the keyboard. One morning the O button just stopped working and it continued from there. Nothing was spilled on it as I have learned from killing my macbook with a cup of chicken soup :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Thank you for that. As for the keyboard. One morning the O button just stopped working and it continued from there. Nothing was spilled on it as I have learned from killing my macbook with a cup of chicken soup :(

Hmmm... The reason I mention possibility of a spill is that I don't think I've seen a keyboard fail without something actually being dropped or spilled on the laptop. What model is the laptop, I'm just wondering if it is a known issue with that particular model?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Tizzy Dongue

Hmmm... The reason I mention possibility of a spill is that I don't think I've seen a keyboard fail without something actually being dropped or spilled on the laptop. What model is the laptop, I'm just wondering if it is a known issue with that particular model?

It's a Samsung NP300X3C

• Advertisement
Advertisement