Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any plans for a public Big Screen for the All Ireland final?

Options
  • 20-08-2017 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭

As the title asks, like what was done for Connacht Rugby are there any plans for somewhere in the city for all of us to gather and cheer the hurlers on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

flazio wrote: »
    As the title asks, like what was done for Connacht Rugby are there any plans for somewhere in the city for all of us to gather and cheer the hurlers on?

There was a big screen in Eyre square last time. It was an advertising screen that was barely watchable for a game of hurling, also kept cutting out every couple of seconds from what I remember.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

It'd be great but the indepth city council is too engraved in publicans pockets

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

It'd be great but the indepth city council is too engraved in publicans pockets

Indepth, engraved......somebody else must have been filling the publicans pockets today by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Eh? The publicans in East Village paid for it. If they thought that the hurling would bring in the business, I'm sure they'd do it again.

East Village?

• Advertisement

East Village?

East side of Eyre Square and Forster Street. An exercise in marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I watched the hurling on big screen in Eyre square last time we got to final. The screen was perfectly watchable and I enjoyed the match with my kids. The organisers had a family zone at the front which was alcohol free - brilliant idea, it was a lovely atmosphere and very welcoming for young children. Hope they do same again.

East Village?

Latin Quarter's sleezy cousin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭seanin4711

There was nothing done for connacht rugby for the pro 12 final.
    disgusting lack of support form the city council!
    I was on to the council and even pat mcdonagh about organizing something.
    Pat lamb also got nothing from the city for winning the pro12.
    council felt obliged to do a bus,hurriedly & out of embarrassment even though most of the fans were still making their way back from Edinburgh.
    piss poor.
    zero!

hurling ,well now open up the cheque book

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

seanin4711 wrote: »
    council felt obliged to do a bus,hurriedly & out of embarrassment even though most of the fans were still making their way back from Edinburgh.
    piss poor.
    zero!

Sounds exactly like our greedy indepth council, some of them i.e. CC hasn't even been elected by the people but is happy to feed at trough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

When you say indepth do you actually mean inept?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Sounds exactly like our greedy indepth council, some of them i.e. CC hasn't even been elected by the people but is happy to feed at trough

'INEPT COUNCIL"...that's twice in 2days on this forum....standards people STANDARDS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

dobman88 wrote: »
    When you say indepth do you actually mean inept?

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You should try and see if you can get a ticket and go to Croker, this is our best chance to bring the cup back to Galway.

You should try and see if you can get a ticket and go to Croker, this is our best chance to bring the cup back to Galway.

Why go all the way to Croker if they are bringing the cup to Galway - I'll see it then ;)
    On a more serious note- I'd rather stay in galway to watch the match as I'm not a die-hard fan, I'd feel bad taking tickets from genuine fans but I'd like to see the match in a fun atmosphere and bring the family too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Why go all the way to Croker if they are bringing the cup to Galway - I'll see it then ;)
    On a more serious note- I'd rather stay in galway to watch the match as I'm not a die-hard fan, I'd feel bad taking tickets from genuine fans but I'd like to see the match in a fun atmosphere and bring the family too.

That's true but I was just thinking back on the great atmosphere back in 1988 in CP when they lifted the cup, I was 13 at the time and nobody thought we would go nearly 30 years without another win.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

East side of Eyre Square and Forster Street. An exercise in marketing.

First I heard of that. Could they not have invented some name finishing in "quarter"?

nuac wrote: »
    First I heard of that. Could they not have invented some name finishing in "quarter"?

Only about two years behind the curve then.

nuac wrote: »

How many quarters can one city have, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

How many quarters can one city have, though.

At least five.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

According to the news on Galway Bay FM, The Galway City Business Association has applied for permission to erect a big screen on Eyre Square for the All Ireland Final.

So it's up to the City Council now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭ceatharloch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

According to the news on Galway Bay FM, The Galway City Business Association has applied for permission to erect a big screen on Eyre Square for the All Ireland Final.

So it's up to the City Council now.

It's in the Galway Independent today that there will be a big screen in association with EZ Living. If its the same advertising TV truck EZ Living do have parked around the place, go to a pub - The screen has seen better days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

seanin4711 wrote: »

piss poor.
    zero!

What would you have had them do?

Pat Lam got an honorary degree off NUIG in recognition[I have heard of no equivalent for any All-Ireland winning GAA manager].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Steve The Barman

Eh? The publicans in East Village paid for it. If they thought that the hurling would bring in the business, I'm sure they'd do it again.

they paid for the Pro 12 Final screen Connacht were in not the 2015 Hurling Final

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Fair play to all the efforts today in relation to eyre square.

I see all the serial whingers have crawled under their rocks.

Just waiting now for a thread to be started on some damaged grass blades in eyre square.

Brilliant atmosphere, very well organised and felt very safe. Top marks to the organisers. Grass near me looked good at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Turned out to be a great day, sunny and lovely.

Well done to the minor and senior teams for winning!

http://galwaybayfm.ie/civic-homecoming-galway-minor-senior-hurling-champions/
    Galway County Council will host a civic welcome and homecoming for the All-Ireland Senior and Minor hurling champions later today. (4/9)

The Minors beat off competition from Cork yesterday at Croke Park to secure the Irish Press Cup.

Meanwhile, the senior team overcame Waterford in a tight scoring match to bring the Liam McCarthy back to Galway after a 29 year gap.

The first stop of the heroic homecoming will be at the Fairgreen in Ballinasloe from 3 o’ clock this afternoon.

There will be live music from SeSlattery & The Connections and parking restrictions will be in place.

Supporters will be able to access the Fairgreen on foot via Society Street and Harris Road.

The team convoy will continue their journey to Pearse Stadium in Salthill where they’re due to arrive around 6.30p.m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Fair play to all the efforts today in relation to eyre square.

I see all the serial whingers have crawled under their rocks.

Just waiting now for a thread to be started on some damaged grass blades in eyre square.
    LOL
    Funny enough, the truck carrying the big screen sank when they tried to reverse it out and had to be towed. Nothing that can't be easily fixed.

A great day for everyone and the big screen was a massive success.

Advertisement