Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covering a shed

Options
  • 20-08-2017 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi Everyone, I have a shipping container that I use as a tool shed and workshop/storage area and I'd like to cover it with climbers. I was thinking of roses, clematis, ivy, or virginia creeper. what would be the best to hide it and look good all year round. Could I sow all of the above and let them mingle and grow through one another ?The nearest point of the container to the house is about 10 feet so vigorous growth won't be an issue. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,438 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You would have to put up some sort of support as the metal of the container would not make it easy for things to grow up. Also you might consider that metal will get both colder and hotter than other structures, so again a structure would be better for plants. Which way does it face?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

I already have sheepwire attached to the long sides, a leftover from a previous attempt (not very successful) to cover it with honeysuckle. The container runs in a north west to south east direction with the doors on the north west side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Jasmine could be nice as it's evergreen so would provide good coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,438 ✭✭✭✭looksee

A number of things would be suitable on the southwest side, you could try solenum, clematis montana, one of the more vigorous roses - rosa filepes Kiftsgate for example. On the other side, which will be shadier maybe a climbing hydrangea, or vigorous honeysuckle such as Halliana should be ok.

What happened to the previous honeysuckle? Do you have some fairly decent soil? It is quite likely that there will be a rain shadow on one or both sides of the container so you may have to water more. Is the container on the ground or slightly raised up? You could create problems if there is a gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Ivy will stick to anything - no support needed. And other subsequent climbers will stick to IT...
    Virginia creeper sticks on by itself, too.
    Rosa Felipes is indeed very vigorous - it may bury your shed - not joking.
    Don't even consider Russian Vine - although a prolific climber that will quickly clothe a structure, it is likewise too exuberant and can pull down buildings.
    Clematis and honetysuckle are lovely, so is Solanum Jasminoides.
    Bear in mind that jasmines aren't really "climbers" - they will throw long wands but they need to be trained out and tied into the support, to look their best. They need pruning and tying, so a bit more work than some.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Stay away from Ivy imo. It's one of the most pervasive, resilient weeds out there and once it's taken hold it's there for good.

Hateful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

Thanks for all the help guys, plenty of information there for me to digest. Now all I need is someone to do the buying,the digging, the planting and the pruning. Any volunteers?????:D:D:D:D

Advertisement