Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish cyclists in Grand Tours

Options
  • 20-08-2017 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭

According to an article in yesterday's IT, by Shane Stokes, Conor Dunne of Aqua Blue Sport will become the 15th Irish rider in a Grand Tour.

The brother and I came up with 12 so who are we missing?

Elliott, Kelly, 3 Roches (Stephen, Laurence, Nico), Earley, Kimmage, Deignan, Bennett, Martin, Power, Scanlon = 12, 2 missing.

Of course not all the above are necessarily correct but we're quite confident.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Have you included Sean Kelly and Stephen Roche?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,783 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Did Brammier do one in his Dimension Data days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Did Brammier do one in his Dimension Data days?

That's a good shout. We never even thought of him. Having researched his career now it would seem he has never competed in a Grand Tour, though I am open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭wicky9

What about yer man who switched his nationality from Irish to Danish? He was on the Tinkoff team with Roche.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

Chris Juul Jensen?

• Advertisement

Of course it could be the number stated in the article is a typo or Shane got it wrong. It'll be interesting to see if anyone comes up with the elusive names.

Jensen was born in Wicklow, and partook in a handful of the big three, so yeah, could be one alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Don't think jensen ever declared for Ireland and he was back in Denmark at 16

I don't do the whole twittering tweeting thing but if anyone does ask Shane. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Someone already asked on Twitter giving McCormack.

The 15th is Ian Moore, who started the 1961 Tour.

• Advertisement

Someone already asked on Twitter giving McCormack.

The 15th is Ian Moore, who started the 1961 Tour.

Oh excellent, thanks Robyn. So McCormack and Moore. Can't say I've heard of either of them; time for some research.

I can match up Ian Moore on Cycling Archive. Having trouble with any McCormack.

I can match up Ian Moore on Cycling Archive. Having trouble with any McCormack.

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/profile-alan-mccormack-aged-21-irelands-youngest-grand-tour-finisher/

I assumed it was him, but there is noting here about any results in '78. You would think completing a GT would at least be noted.

http://www.cyclingarchives.com/coureurfiche.php?coureurid=5801

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭DonegalBay

Alan McCormack was 55th in the Vuelta of 78, a good rider who spent most of his career in the US where he was quite successful. Was on the Irish team at the Wolds in 87 when Roche won but rarely is mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

DonegalBay wrote: »
    Alan McCormack was 55th in the Vuelta of 78, a good rider who spent most of his career in the US where he was quite successful. Was on the Irish team at the Wolds in 87 when Roche won but rarely is mentioned.

Alan's father was the famous J.J., who for many years was the driving force behind the Junior Tour.

DonegalBay wrote: »
    Alan McCormack was on the Irish team at the Wolds in 87 when Roche won but rarely is mentioned.

There's another good trivia question. Who was on that Irish team in 87? Roche, Kelly and now McCormack we know. Earley? Kimmage? Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Roches brother and a mcquaid?

https://www.podiumcafe.com/2010/9/27/1714556/a-worlds-tale-stephen-roche-villach-austria-1987

Reading that article you'd swear it was just Kelly, Roche, Kimmage and Earley. There's no mention of anyone else, including McCormack.

As an aside there's a great insight into the criteriums that were held in Ireland a few weeks before the World Champs. I was at the one in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭DonegalBay

neris wrote: »
    Roches brother and a mcquaid?

Maybe in the amateur race for thenm.

Advertisement