Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

joyriding penalties

Options
  • 20-08-2017 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

My 15 year old daughter was involved in an incident last night, where her and some friends decided to take someones car to get home illegally, ultimately the car was smashed and the owner is going to take up matters with the police as there was about 1000€ damage. obviously i can't blame the owner but i'm worried as to how much trouble she has gotten herself into and if she can be placed into a detention centre or the like, can 15 years olds do community service etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

First off thank whoever you pay to that she is still alive and they did not kill someone.

The owner of the car might be doing her a favour by reporting it. Going through the court system might be enough to scare her from ever doing this again. BTW no judgement here from me. Sometimes teenagers do stupid things.

In my opinion she won't end up in a determination centre. The authorities / judges etc try their best to give a chance to otherwise good kids who made a stupid choice. They also like to drag the prosess out to keep them scared. If she has never been brought to the Gardai attention before she'll be fine. Also AFAIK any convection / suspended sentence is wiped clean when she turns 18 so she starts adult life with a clean record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭expatoz

Yes i am grateful that no one was hurt and i certainly did stupid things when i was her age but was concerned if she ended up in some institution as punishment, she'd probably come out a proper criminal, i'd be pretty pissed off i i had my car stolen and crashed while i was sleeping, teenagers can certainly add a few grey hairs to the head, i actually feel sick from the worry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

If she didn't do the breaking into the car and didn't drive it she will get away with a warning. There is a system for under 18s where they don't get a criminal record until the 3rd warning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Juvenile detention centres are used for minors who are at serious risk or have multiple offences/charges

I was in one almost 20 years ago for 3 weeks.

A fully secured 'lock up' is the only way to describe what it was, we had to wear either black or grey tracksuits with Hi-tec runners.

I found it to be a holiday camp though.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭expatoz

a lot of us didn't get caught for the stuff we did but i really had it in my mind that you enter these places young and stupid and come out of them a hardened criminal, knowing every trick in the book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

expatoz wrote: »
    a lot of us didn't get caught for the stuff we did but i really had it in my mind that you enter these places young and stupid and come out of them a hardened criminal, knowing every trick in the book

I don't fully agree with that statement, however I don't disagree fully either.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Character building exercises might be appropriate, but be careful of double punishment.

Advertisement