Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's Swinford to live?

• 20-08-2017 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hello There!

I was wondering, how's Swinford to live and raise a family? :)

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭shopper2011

Quiet in the winter: Castlebar will be your main town. Cheap property. grand school. Need a car. Not alot of work locally. Not alot for teenagers to do OR not much trouble they can get into, whatever way you look at it. Swinford has been decimated by emigration but still hangs on as a village community these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 irish.dreams

Thank you very much for your reply!:)

I am joining a company at Tuam and my husband would be joining at Ballina. So, we are looking for a place to settle down in between Tuam and Ballina. As we won't be having a car as for now, comutation seems to be a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭shopper2011

Castlebar is a good option. Bigger than Ballina and Tuam. Car is an absolute must outside of major urban hubs i.e.Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

If you haven't a car, you might have to decide on either Ballina or Tuam.

Apart from getting to work, the smaller your town, the more places to which you will have to drive, especially as your children get older.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ThomasAlan

We moved with our young family to Swinford a few years back. And I have to say that I am happy with our decision.

It has plenty on offer to keep our kids occupied. This year our kids were involved in GAA (of course!), karate, creative writing, drama and swimming. We did have to go to Castlebar for the swimming though.

There's also a soccer club, an athletics club and a 9-hole golf course.

We did struggle to find a family-sized home but besides that, I would heartily recommend a move to Swinford.

P.S. As others have mentioned, a car is a must.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

As advised in your other thread, you will need to live in Ballina or Tuam and not try and commute from somewhere in the middle. Public transport is crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Richie71

The bus from Ballina to Tuam in the mornings, and back in the evenings is very reliable and suits most working hours. It passes through Swinford so living there would be an option only if you had a car to get to Ballina. Buses travelling the opposite way aren't at great times for work. Without a car, Ballina is your best option.

Advertisement