Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad Wifi & Cellular not available to buy in any store?

Options
  • 20-08-2017 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Went to buy an iPad 9.7" 32GB WiFi & Cellular today in a store.. Turns out that was impossible.. Are these literally only available to order online? Went to CompuB in Cork City & even they didn't have them, they only stock the WiFi version. Why?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

lilyzadi wrote: »
    Went to buy an iPad 9.7" 32GB WiFi & Cellular today in a store.. Turns out that was impossible.. Are these literally only available to order online? Went to CompuB in Cork City & even they didn't have them, they only stock the WiFi version. Why?

They don't sell very well, that's why it's difficult to get in a physical store. There's no point keeping stock of something that doesn't sell. The vast majority of people just want the WiFi version.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 lilyzadi

They don't sell very well, that's why it's difficult to get in a physical store. There's no point keeping stock of something that doesn't sell. The vast majority of people just want the WiFi version.

Thanks for that!
    I guess I just can't understand why a store wouldn't stock at least one & especially an official Apple reseller like CompuB.Whatever about anything else, Argos advertising that they have them & checking every store in the country & they being out of stock just drives me crazy. You clearly don't have them for sale, why advertise them?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Thanks for that!
    I guess I just can't understand why a store wouldn't stock at least one & especially an official Apple reseller like CompuB.Whatever about anything else, Argos advertising that they have them & checking every store in the country & they being out of stock just drives me crazy. You clearly don't have them for sale, why advertise them?

Why stock something that doesn't sell? It ties up money that you could use to stock something that will sell. Plus, if you don't sell it before a new version comes out then you have to discount it to get rid of it and make a loss.

Why stock something that doesn't sell? It ties up money that you could use to stock something that will sell. Plus, if you don't sell it before a new version comes out then you have to discount it to get rid of it and make a loss.

Ah I find it hard to believe that literally not one person would buy one... It's a chance I would take..

I guess the best place to purchase is directly from the Apple site. What do you think?

Ah I find it hard to believe that literally not one person would buy one... It's a chance I would take..

I guess the best place to purchase is directly from the Apple site. What do you think?

I used to work in a PC world and a Currys, there was feck all interest in the wi-fi and cellular models. Plus, if any one did want one we could order it in and have it in a few days. It didn't make sense to keep them in stock. Saying that we did get them in stock every so often so a Currys or pc world would be worth a shot

• Advertisement

Thanks again for the insight!

I tried the stores so I will just order online now!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

For the 9.7" iPad there are three colours and two memory options which means six combinations. With low demand, I can see why they wouldn't stock the cellular models - you'll never have the right model for the odd person who walks in to buy one and if you stock all of the combinations, you're guaranteed to be left holding old stock when the next models are announced.

The 32GB Wi-Fi iPad Mini2 dropped in price from €399 to €309 when the next range was announced, bang goes your profit if you're holding too much stock.

Advertisement