Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total Solar Eclipse 1724

Options
  • 20-08-2017 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Can anyone direct me to where I might find information on the Total Solar Eclipse of 1727 in Ireland? Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

There is only one historical account from England, by William Stukeley, as the path of totality was almost completely clouded out. I've never seen any Irish report.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,428 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

May 22nd 1724 ......

Ireland was at the eastern end of the track so it was early evening (18:30 GMT) with the sun low in the WNW sky when totality occurred. The centre line (of totality) ran roughly from the Aran Islands to Hook Head in Wexford. Totality lasted almost three minutes in Limerick when the sun was at an altitude of 15 degrees.

https://eclipses.gsfc.nasa.gov/5MCSEmap/1701-1800/1724-05-22.gif

https://eclipses.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEsearch/SEsearchmap.php?Ecl=17240522

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Portlaoise Pictures

Thanks very much from a 100% layman... A recent Irish Times article gave 1727 as the last time a total solar eclipse was seen from Ireland. Surely that is wrong?

Yes, the 1727 TSE was only visible from North Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Every media outlet seems to be copying the 1727 date off each other lazily, a minute on Wikipedia would give you the correct date

SE1724May22T.png

• Advertisement

Forgive my total ignorance of matters astronomical, but would the eclipse have been total as seen from Maryborough (old name for Portlaoise)? Thanks for all the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Forgive my total ignorance of matters astronomical, but would the eclipse have been total as seen from Maryborough (old name for Portlaoise)? Thanks for all the help.

Yes, everywhere between the blue lines.

Here's a close-up, Mullingar was the northern limit and Killarney the southern. Portlaoise would have seen 2 mins 28 seconds of Totality -

lACArK.jpg

Thanks again. Final questions: was 1724 the last time a total eclipse was seen from Ireland? Is the next one - as the Irish Times article says - not due till 2090?

That's true, and even the 2090 eclipse just about shaves the south-west coast. From Portlaoise you have to wait until May 5th 2600 I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement