Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joule solar with Deltasol BS/2 HE controller

• 20-08-2017 3:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I've recently had the Joule Acapella 30 tube solar kit installed with Joule 300 Litre Triple Coil tank. Henley 25kw boiler stove and Firebird 44kw oil boiler too in the mix.

Today I had a chance to have a look at the Solar setup.

Readings earlier today around 1:30pm

Col: 117c
    Tst: 17c
    S3: 24c
    N: 100%
    HP: 46hrs

All other settings look to be defaults except the S MX is set to 65c

No stove or boiler running so just the solar heating the water. I though it would be a bit higher then that, no hot water used today.

The I noticed the pressure was reading 0bar on the Joule pressure dial. I assume there should always be some pressure in the system?

So, the pump appears to be running (N=100% on the controller) but I don't see the float at all in the see-through valve, so can I assume there is no flow at all?

I'm worried the solar tubes might be getting damaged. I did see a reading of 180+c a couple of days ago from the collector.

The plumber who installed is due over tomorrow but I want to get more info re this setup.

I've attached a few pics

Lastly, I wanted to the a datalogger for this setup. What's the best one to go with? The manual mentions a DL2 Datalogger. I'd like to record the values online somewhere where I can view remotley etc.

Also, it it worthwhile to use thermal wrap on all the exposed copper pipe? (I assume the answer to this is a big yes!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

117 degrees yesterday up to collector, with pisshy raining all day !?
    Are you sure you took the pictures in the same timeframe as at that temperature and with the lack of flow in the instrument and low temperatures it seriously indicate an error... hardware or installation !

I have same system like yours,with Acapela 40 tubes and 300L cylinder, my pump and controller being slightly different,maybe older.
    Im using a DL2 logger and works fine.Checked them at the begining and then the excitement cooled off,now maybe a check the spreadsheet once a month,just a quick visual look on the controller LCD enough.

The pipes are insulated by the cable,original supplied by Joules.
    Inside the hot press,i left them open so that the temperature can warm/heat the room, from where i take as a supply and throw it in the mixer of the heat recovery.

Enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Hi rolion,

Thanks for the post.
    Yeap it read 117c yesterday. Pics are all from the same timeframe.

Plumber was out this morning to 'fix'. When he was leaving he advised he had to top up the fluid (glycol I guess) and re-pressurize the system. It's showing just a little over 2 bar now.

So, I went and checked and again zero flow from the bobbin ?
    Collector was reading 79c at this point.

The pump was again reading 100%
    I removed the foam cover and literally jiggled the pump cable that leads back to the Deltasol and it kicked into life. I could hear the pump whiring and fluid moving. I could see flow now through the view glass (at 3 I think, ending up at 2 when things settled) and the collector temps started to drop rapidally.

I'll check on it again in 30mins but the collector was reading a more respectable 33c

re the datalogger......you happy with the DL2? Or would you use a different logger instead? I'd like to end up with a setup where I can view the data online, involve aws or an s3 bucket or something.

My setup is above the stove upstairs in the attic space so I'm going to insulate all the pipework that's exposed.

Keep an eye on that controller as it doesnt smell right ! :)

Re data logger,purchased a DL2 ,connected all the wires and created an account on VBus HERE .
    I can see online the realtime status like HERE then only from local network i can export csv file and manipulate it in Excel,like attached.
    Very easy,friendly and you can go deeper with a SDK and customise everything.

I will love to get the reports online with archiving and realtime and JAVA applets and "html to php to mysql" like HERE ... but i need somebody to keep me under pressure.

Have fun.

I think I'll pull the trigger on the DL2 based upon your post :)
    Can i ask where did you source yours?
    eBay seems like the cheapest route.

I think I'll pull the trigger on the DL2 based upon your post :)
    Can i ask where did you source yours?
    eBay seems like the cheapest route.

Well,DL2is the cost effective one.
    There is an advanced version,i think DL3 but not sure what more can it do...

I have a trade account with a UK based company, i can forward you the details if you want and only if they will deal with you over the phone payment with CC. Oherwise,use your prefered search engine and you'll find lots of suppliers on the Continent.

You will need a customised CAT5e cable for the connection to router. If you're Dublin based,i can build it for you at your location,FoC.

Enjoy it.

• Advertisement

Thanks again rolion.

I can get the DL2 on ebay from Germany for about €230 euros it seems.
    If you could fire on the details of that reseller I'd appriacate that too.

Looking again on the resol site I notice the KM2 module.
    http://www.resol.de/index/produktdetail/kategorie/2/id/209/sprache/en

Apart from not storing the data, what's the difference between the KM2 and the DL2 do you know? There is a wifi version too.

This seems to be a live feed from a KM2 module
    https://www.vbus.net/scheme/068c2d3bc5364cf2b30447016b8cc34c

Found here

It confusing to me the number of different loggers there are and I'm not clear as to what the difference between them all are.

DL2 vs KM2 basically? :)

Thanks again rolion.

I can get the DL2 on ebay from Germany for about €230 euros it seems.
    If you could fire on the details of that reseller I'd appriacate that too.

Looking again on the resol site I notice the KM2 module.
    http://www.resol.de/index/produktdetail/kategorie/2/id/209/sprache/en

Apart from not storing the data, what's the difference between the KM2 and the DL2 do you know? There is a wifi version too.

This seems to be a live feed from a KM2 module
    https://www.vbus.net/scheme/068c2d3bc5364cf2b30447016b8cc34c

Found here

It confusing to me the number of different loggers there are and I'm not clear as to what the difference between them all are.

DL2 vs KM2 basically? :)

The KM2 could be a LAN module for the controller only so that the techie could connect to controller from external locations and execute remote maintenance / reports / updates.

That live feed...well, once you get the DL2 it can be so heavily customised with all the parameters and background pictures.

Price looks alright,go for it.

DL2 arrived today. Getting "No live data!" from the live view. No data flowing in from the controller as far as i can see.
    DL2 came with latest firmware, just the vbus update to version 6.
    I'll have to dig the multimeter out and check voltage from the vbus terminals on the controller.

Any other ideas?

You will need to connect the wires corectly !

1st - network,try access using the LAN
    2nd - VBus,make sure cables are connected ok.

If you get " No Live Data" then you have LAN connecte / configured alright.

Check the VBus cables !??

Give it few hours and see if the data populates.
    Do a csv export and open the file,any numbers in there ?

rolion wrote: »
    You will need to connect the wires corectly !

1st - network,try access using the LAN
    2nd - VBus,make sure cables are connected ok.

If you get " No Live Data" then you have LAN connecte / configured alright.

Check the VBus cables !??

Give it few hours and see if the data populates.
    Do a csv export and open the file,any numbers in there ?

Yeap, network is fine. I can hit the DL2 web interface fine. I was able to setup vbus.net fine too.
    The vbus cables can have either polarity (according to the manual) but i did try swapping them around, no joy.
    I've rebooted both devices, one before each other and no joy.
    Did a factory reset of the DL2 there too.

I'll give it a hours and see if it magically sorts itself.

The multimeter (when i find it!) should tell me if there's anything from those terminals.

• Advertisement

$ curl "http://192.168.1.80/dlx/download/live?sessionAuthUsername=admin&sessionAuthPassword=admin"
    {
        "language" : "en",
        "headers" : [
        {
            "id" : "00_0010_4720_0100",
            "description" : "VBus 0: Device 0x4720",
            "channel" : 0,
            "destination_address" : 16,
            "source_address" : 18208,
            "protocol_version" : 16,
            "command" : 256,
            "info" : 0,
            "destination_name" : "DFA",
            "source_name" : "N/A",
            "fields" : [
            ]
        },
        {
            "id" : "00_0015_4720_0100",
            "description" : "VBus 0: Device 0x4720 => Standard-Infos",
            "channel" : 0,
            "destination_address" : 21,
            "source_address" : 18208,
            "protocol_version" : 16,
            "command" : 256,
            "info" : 0,
            "destination_name" : "Standard-Infos",
            "source_name" : "N/A",
            "fields" : [
            ]
        }
        ],
        "headerset_stats" : {
            "headerset_count" : 1,
            "min_timestamp" : 1504181193.564000,
            "max_timestamp" : 1504181193.564000
        },
        "headersets" : [
        {
            "timestamp" : 1504181193.564000,
            "packets" : [
            {
                "header_index" : 0,
                "timestamp" : 1504181192.674000,
                "field_values" : [
                ]
            },
            {
                "header_index" : 1,
                "timestamp" : 1504181192.865000,
                "field_values" : [
                ]
            }
            ]
        }
        ]
    }

Service Center showing as 'Device 0x4720 - unknown device' in the raw information. :confused:

[code]$ curl "http://192.168.1.80/dlx/download/live?sessionAuthUsername=admin&sessionAuthPassword=admin"
    :

No time now to debug BUT PLEASE ... do change the default password A S A P !!!

Not too worried about that now, it's not internet facing anyway. (removed from vbus.net too)

I've posted over in the vbus google group. Looks like the Resol guys lurk there so hoping I have some joy there.

If you think of anything else let me know. Ill keep ye posted sure.

Thanks for your help so far.

An update from the super quick Resol support....
    thanks for the detailed information. It looks like the VBus specification of your Joule DeltaSol BS HE has not been added to the list of supported devices yet. I'm trying to correct that tomorrow and will keep you posted.

I wonder if I should bring this to the attenion of Joule themselves?
    They're selling their gear saying it's compatible with the DL2 etc.

I wonder if I should bring this to the attenion of Joule themselves?
    They're selling their gear saying it's compatible with the DL2 etc.
    Joule buy sfrom REsol.

Dunno what to say...mine worked out of the box !

I called in to Joules showroom and had a look at the kit before purchasing.
    I found John in there to be very good at the technical queries.

Enjoy it..

Just to close this one out.

Resol sent me a custom VBus spec that I was able to load onto the DL2 and reboot, allowing me to read the values.
    This same spec should be pushed to vbus.net soon so others with a Deltasol BS HE can use it with a DL2.
    It will also allow vbus.net to read the same values from the DL2, as this is broken for me right now. (no data fields)

VBus spec version 7 should be pushed in the next few days. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Hey Standard Toaster, hopefully you are still about as this is a few years old, but I am having the issue the last while with the same setup. Col will raise through the dayand Tst won't budge. N is at 100%. Presure on top right of system is at almost zero.

Did you ever get to the bottom of the issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭John.G

System pressure will need to be ~ 2 bar to start with anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Is there a way for me to increase that or do I need a plumber to "repressurize" the system?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ohnohedidnt

You've probably sorted this already. But that's air in the system. The pump runs at 100%, but isn't actually pumping anything because it's air locked, you'll see the temp rising on the blue temp gauge, but only because the pump is heating up from running at 100%. I just had my system flushing, and it fixed this exact problem immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Having read the charter, I hope I'm allowed to ask this here (please PM if responding in the thread is not allowed) - does anyone know of someone in the Wicklow area who can service a "Joule solar with Datasol BS.2 HE controller" setup? I've asked a few local plumbers and no one will touch it. I tried a company in Dublin but they weren't interested in coming down to Wicklow...

Advertisement